Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Springer fork question

    Greetings all!

    I just collected a few different bikes from a friend, a mongoose menace cruiser, Raleigh Super Record, and Kaluna moon dog.

    I havent done anything with bikes other than ride them and I havent even done that since my last mountain bike was stolin about 10 years ago.

    I Got the Menace riding nicley (nicely for 6'1 260 lbs lol) am saving money to completley restore the Raleigh Super Record, and am just dinging around with the Moon Dog.

    I was looking at some different setups and thought that a springer front fork would look pretty sharp on the Moon Dog, with some mountain bike type handle bars flipped upside down, kinda like the cafe racer style motorcycles of the '60s.

    I have looked online and can find tons of springers, including a bunch that claim to be "universal" which I find hard to believe but as I stated I know nothing about working on bikes, yet.

    I have measured my three bikes where the fork tube goes through the frame and all three are different lengths, so Im not sure what to do.

    Could someone here please let me know how to check on my Moon Dog and make sure I will be ordering the right one? I sure would appreciate the information.

    The part of my frame which the fork tube (not sure what its called) goes through is 5 & 1/2" inches long.
    Not sure of the diameter as I can still ride it and havent wanted to tear it apart quite yet.

    I posted this in "bike mechanics" but didnt know if that or here would be the proper place.

    Also I didnt use the search function because at this point Im not even sure of the terminology.
    Thanks again.


    Sammy

  2. #2
    i'm only a newb here ;)
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    ottawa, canada
    My Bikes
    2 many to list
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just looked up your bike, i'm afraid you're going to have to at least remove the stem (part that holds the handlebars) and the top nut to expose the fork neck. Once you've done that, measure the diameter of the tube, it should either be 1 inch, or an inch and 1/8. You already have the minimum lenght of the fork neck you need, so once you determine what size you have, you can order a springer.
    Hope that helps,
    Rick

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rick74304 View Post
    Just looked up your bike, i'm afraid you're going to have to at least remove the stem (part that holds the handlebars) and the top nut to expose the fork neck. Once you've done that, measure the diameter of the tube, it should either be 1 inch, or an inch and 1/8. You already have the minimum lenght of the fork neck you need, so once you determine what size you have, you can order a springer.
    Hope that helps,
    Rick
    Right on brother!

    When you say I allready have the minimum length (the 5 & 1/2 inches?) does that mean I could cut the fork neck to 5 & 1/2 if all I can find is longer ones (also the diameter being the same) as mine.

    Thanks again

  4. #4
    i'm only a newb here ;)
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    ottawa, canada
    My Bikes
    2 many to list
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to make sure i'm clear here, look at this link for the proper names of the parts i'll refer to;http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Bicycle_fork
    Measure the length and diameter of the steerer tube, you ideally want to match those measurements on the fork you plan to buy. Also double check your wheel size, and order your springer to match. Cut the steerer tube only as a last resort. If you do have to cut it, thread a couple of lock rings down below where you plan to cut, so that after cutting, you can remove them and clean up the threads.
    If you're just getting started in bike repairs, check out this site; http://sheldonbrown.com/ Tons of valuable info there.
    Rick

  5. #5
    Designer steppinthefunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sammy,
    I think the tube that you are speaking of is the headtube. It is the same tube that has a headbadge on the front.

    Anyway, 5-1/2 inches is pretty short for a cruiser. I think the more typical size is about 7 inches. BUt no worries. Forks are cut to fit headtubes all the time. JUst be aware that some forks are designed after the more typical headtube length. These forks will have some sort of connection at the bottom and top of the headtube (see pic below)


  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rick74304 View Post
    Just to make sure i'm clear here, look at this link for the proper names of the parts i'll refer to;http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Bicycle_fork
    Measure the length and diameter of the steerer tube, you ideally want to match those measurements on the fork you plan to buy. Also double check your wheel size, and order your springer to match. Cut the steerer tube only as a last resort. If you do have to cut it, thread a couple of lock rings down below where you plan to cut, so that after cutting, you can remove them and clean up the threads.
    If you're just getting started in bike repairs, check out this site; http://sheldonbrown.com/ Tons of valuable info there.
    Rick
    Rick, thank you for the links! Had sheldons for a few days and looked over some of the vast information but even he was not as easy to figure out with all the lingo.

    The other link is really what I need at this point, I have read it now a few times, it is so much easier to ask for help when you can use the right terminology.

    I'm still unsure about the claime of "universal" forks because there are many different lengths and diameters of head tubes, but now that I (think) I know the proper names I will be able to find one that either fits, or close enough that I can make it fit.

    I feel like a caveman, I'm not really that stoopid, just havent dealt with bicycles much (other than to buy them and have them stolen)

    Thanks again for the links and information I appreciate it, and will update when I get a little more done.

    Sammy

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steppinthefunk View Post
    Sammy,
    I think the tube that you are speaking of is the headtube. It is the same tube that has a headbadge on the front.

    Anyway, 5-1/2 inches is pretty short for a cruiser. I think the more typical size is about 7 inches. BUt no worries. Forks are cut to fit headtubes all the time. JUst be aware that some forks are designed after the more typical headtube length. These forks will have some sort of connection at the bottom and top of the headtube (see pic below)

    Headtube! Of course, I know where the head badge is, duh. I think steer tube is the proper name for the portion of fork that goes in the headtube?

    That was confusing me about these "universal" springer forks I been seeing because I KNOW the head tubes on the 3 bikes I just got are all different lengths. But I think I knoiw enough now to find one that will work for my project.

    BTW I dont know if the bike in that picture was your or not but I cant stop smiling! That is very close to what I am triing to achieve.

    Having a $10 budget, no knowledge, and very little patience, Im not sure Im going to get there the first time out, but I have a lot of tools, so I can always cut it up and weld it into a coffee table.

    Thanks again, will post pics when I figure out how.

    Sammy

  8. #8
    Senior Member KOTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can make your own fork, the sky's the limit! Try the link for the style of bikes your talking about.
    http://ratrodbikes.com/ Here's a fork I made. It's from a Panasonic road bike, bent with a conduit bender, 5/16 coled rolled steel truss rods for support. Acorn nuts were welded to one end and a 1/4 steel washer to the other end. (to see the WHOLE bike go to SNOT ROCKET in this forum.)

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KOTA, hahaha "snot rocket" was I believe the first thing (buildup) I read when I found that forum, I HAD to check it out just because of the name.

    Rather then spend $69 I dont have to spend on a bike, I may just grab a yardsale/ garbage bike and try it.

    I dont have a bender but I think I can make something.

    In the last week I have gotten 4 bikes,

    Kulana cruiser Traded for this, spent $5 on new cables
    Raleige Super Record Traded for this
    Mongosse Menace Traded for this, $20 on tire and tube
    Uvivega nuovo sport Cost $10 at yardsale and $7 for tubes

    So for what, less than $50 I now have 3 nice riding bikes ( I havent done anything with the Raleigh)

    Abd its been a bit frustrating (what isnt?) but a lot of fun too.

    Only real draw back is the few bike specific tools I need as there is no bike shop with 90 miles or so so if I get stuck, I'm stuck for a while.

    Anyway thanks for all the replies and I will try and post pix tonight.

    Sammy
    Last edited by CoolRide; 04-07-09 at 10:40 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •