Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Gum Wrapping

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Gum Wrapping

    Hey just perusing this subforum. I did something a long time ago and thought I'd share the idea though I'm not sure if it's anything new to you all. Now if you can still get your hands on the old wrigleys wrappers with the wax papr inside and aluminum outside you can carefully separate the two pieces and the adhesive will remain on the aluminum. If anyone is inclined they could "chrome plate" a whole bike frame with this wrapper material. Drawback is it scratches easily but is really does look amazing. I only did with with a computer mouse and it took a long time but if someone wants to do it I'd love to see the final product.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Flying Merkel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Costa Mesa CA
    Posts
    2,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish I had the patience!

  3. #3
    Member APER, Man!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sonoma County, CA
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you end up going for it, be sure to post a picture here!
    1989 Kestrel 200 SCi

  4. #4
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,020
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to check out Bare Metal Foil, that is used by model car enthusiasts.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Downey, Ca
    Posts
    884
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melicha8 View Post
    Hey just perusing this subforum. I did something a long time ago and thought I'd share the idea though I'm not sure if it's anything new to you all. Now if you can still get your hands on the old wrigleys wrappers with the wax papr inside and aluminum outside you can carefully separate the two pieces and the adhesive will remain on the aluminum. If anyone is inclined they could "chrome plate" a whole bike frame with this wrapper material. Drawback is it scratches easily but is really does look amazing. I only did with with a computer mouse and it took a long time but if someone wants to do it I'd love to see the final product.
    What glue were you sniffing?

  6. #6
    Senior Member gavtatu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    the original jersey
    My Bikes
    lowracer, highracer, moving bottom bracket, 2 tall bikesl
    Posts
    286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hardware store might have some foil `duct tape`, to achieve the same effect ? !

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LAriverRat View Post
    What glue were you sniffing?
    Good point I guess I should have found some forum for tossing around weird ideas instead of posting in the mainstream bike culture subforum. LOL I'm such a newb sometimes.

  8. #8
    Senior Member gavtatu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    the original jersey
    My Bikes
    lowracer, highracer, moving bottom bracket, 2 tall bikesl
    Posts
    286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melicha8 View Post
    Good point I guess I should have found some forum for tossing around weird ideas instead of posting in the mainstream bike culture subforum. LOL I'm such a newb sometimes.
    heeey....dont you dare ! this is exactly the right forum for weird and wacky ideas....it is `alt bikes` !!!

  9. #9
    Lotus Monomaniac Snydermann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,028
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if you're lucky the bike will smell all Spearmint-y fresh.

    Just don't stick your used gum under the saddle.
    Always searching for Lotus literature and memorabilia for use at www.VintageLOTUSbicycles.com, can you help?

  10. #10
    Senior Member hotbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    My Bikes
    a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike
    Posts
    2,519
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    I'm one step ahead of you. I bought TWO Rolls of Aluminum-inized Gift Wrap and wrapped my Pannier Set in it. The gift wrap was $4.99 a roll, 15 square feet per roll, and I just had enough.

    But IIRC, there is a Dollar Store downtown, that sell Foil-on-paper sandwich wrap, in rolls that say 'Reynolds" , the kind they use at a sandwich shop or Delicatesen .

    This is only temporary, and I am thinking of changing it soon. I have bought another roll of gift wrap, solid red, 40 square feet, cost $4.99.

    But look for the Reynolds brand. Not exactly 531... I think it may say "Commercial Grade" on the box.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/11629987@N02/sets/72157639939606343/

  11. #11
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,020
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snydermann View Post
    And if you're lucky the bike will smell all Spearmint-y fresh.

    Just don't stick your used gum under the saddle.
    Better yet, mold it as you finish chewing and make a new saddle out of the used gum. Once it hardens you'll be set.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •