Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    346
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    anyone use one of those huge excercise bike front sprockets?

    sometimes i used to see the occassional alt/rat bike with the big 60-someodd tooth sprocket from an exercise bike on it. i picked up one of these today and i'm considering what i might use it on.

    but i'm also wondering, if anyone has one, how practical a rider you've been able to make it. seems like you'd need pretty flat going as a single speed, or a cluster with huge low gear sprocket.

    anyway, just wondering if anyone has any experience with one. thanks.

  2. #2
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    6,460
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50+ T rings are common on folding bikes and mini velos,you need taller gearing to make up for the small wheels. If you build a bike with a rear wheel smaller than a 26",you'll want a big front ring to keep from spinning out even on the flats.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, Calif.
    Posts
    5,206
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, my folding Bike Friday with 20" (451mm) wheels has a 60t front ring to partially compensate for the smaller wheel size.

  4. #4
    Rhapsodic Laviathan
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Louisville KY
    My Bikes
    Genesis Roadtech, DB Drifter1, DB Response, Huffy Cranbrook, Sears&Roebuck, DK bmx, Trek 800 Sport S/T
    Posts
    333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want onr of these for cruiser build
    The speed is break neck, faster than a high speed dual cassette tape deck.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    346
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    right now i'm tentitively thinking it will go on a bike with a 26" rear wheel, but i'm just idea gathering for now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody View Post
    I want onr of these for cruiser build
    i didn't count the teeth on it, and could find any writing on it, but there's a big three piece type ring at the co-op. i'd guess at least 60t.

  6. #6
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    5,274
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the Gear ratio will be Huge with a 26" wheel, unless you get clever and put a really large cog on the back wheel , like a 42t. ..


    Im with 3rd post, my 54t turns a 16" wheel 3 speed IGH in wheel has 15t cog on It.
    Last edited by fietsbob; 12-22-14 at 06:03 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    346
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    already figured that and found there is a rear cluster with a 42t, but it's an 11sp cluster and takes a special chain that i'm sure would be too thin to work with the sprocket (not to mention cost a rediculous amount).

    i'll just keep it in my treasure pile and see what the future brings.

  8. #8
    Senior Member HBCruiser1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    My Bikes
    3G Isla Vista Beach Cruiser
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    346
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that would be even harder going that with a 26" wheel. wish those weren't aluminum. wouldn't mind having one of those 32's if they were steel. might get one anyway if i caught a deal.

  10. #10
    Senior Member HBCruiser1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    My Bikes
    3G Isla Vista Beach Cruiser
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are out there, I just picked one up for $40. Even brand new they're only $170 or so. Gotta open them up and re-grease them though, they don't put any grease in these things from China. Nice cruiser- comfortable- feels like a little kid riding your dads bike! Can't imagine how he pedals that thing with a 65t, but I do plan on experimenting with the gearing. It's tough to peddle with the 32" wheels on a grade but if I get stronger with it I might want to bump it up a bit. I was cruising the other day about 17/18 mph stock but my cadence was up there. It's a beast but fun.

    IMG_0451.jpg

  11. #11
    Senior Member surreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,085
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a 26" bike, a 60t front with a 30t rear would give the same ratio as a 44t/22t-- this equals about 52 gear-inches. I set up cruisers for cruising on the street with 44t x 18t, which would be roughly equivalent to a 60t x 24t. 24t is far easier to source in the 3tab configuration than 30t; either size is totally attainable with hg-compat cogs. (A 6ox42t, as another contributor suggested, would result in a 37-inch gear, which would be crazy-low.)

    This may help: Large Cogs for Internal Geared Hubs

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    346
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HBCruiser1 View Post
    They are out there,IMG_0451.jpg
    not too much here. people really don't seem to buy interesting bikes here, or rarely at best. I'm not as worried about getting one since I got the coker monster, but if that 7sp 32 pops up at a good price when i have some extra cash i'll probably try and get one.

    Quote Originally Posted by surreal View Post
    thanks. i'll save this in my "sources" file.

  13. #13
    Senior Member HBCruiser1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    My Bikes
    3G Isla Vista Beach Cruiser
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surreal View Post
    On a 26" bike, a 60t front with a 30t rear would give the same ratio as a 44t/22t-- this equals about 52 gear-inches. I set up cruisers for cruising on the street with 44t x 18t, which would be roughly equivalent to a 60t x 24t. 24t is far easier to source in the 3tab configuration than 30t; either size is totally attainable with hg-compat cogs. (A 6ox42t, as another contributor suggested, would result in a 37-inch gear, which would be crazy-low.)

    This may help: Large Cogs for Internal Geared Hubs
    surreal: I don't get gear inches, can you explain in plain english! A co-worker who's into racing was talking about gear inches, gave me a resource link but I just don't get the concept. All I know is my fun bike (not the one pictured above) is 44t / 17t and I can run 18-20 mph on a good cadence. My fitness it getting to where I might step back to the 16t it once had but it's pretty tough on some hills and I get a lot of headwind rides where I'm at so the 17t is a nice compromise but sometimes I'd like more high end. I installed a 13t in the rear for fun once but you got to get to 22+ in a comfortable cadence. Would love that one on a flat with a nice 13mph tailwind!

  14. #14
    Junior Member joshfromga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a 26" Workman with 52t/18t gear ratio. Rides great, wish I could find a 60t to put on it.
    Wheelin' n Dealin'...

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    346
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a 52 is what i have on my main cruisers, but with a 5-7 speed cluster that has a 34t as a low, and i think depending on if it's a 5 or 7 speed, a 13 or 14t high. on my main ride, if i go over the bridges (a new pedestrian bridge and a car/pedestrian bridge that make for a nice addition to my warm days sunday route) i have pretty good inclines to deal with. along with a few tough spots depending on how i ride through one of the parks.

    if i stuck that big sprocket on something, i want it to be practical also (well... as practical as a stretch cruiser is gonna be).

  16. #16
    Senior Member surreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,085
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HBCruiser1 View Post
    surreal: I don't get gear inches, can you explain in plain english! A co-worker who's into racing was talking about gear inches, gave me a resource link but I just don't get the concept. All I know is my fun bike (not the one pictured above) is 44t / 17t and I can run 18-20 mph on a good cadence. My fitness it getting to where I might step back to the 16t it once had but it's pretty tough on some hills and I get a lot of headwind rides where I'm at so the 17t is a nice compromise but sometimes I'd like more high end. I installed a 13t in the rear for fun once but you got to get to 22+ in a comfortable cadence. Would love that one on a flat with a nice 13mph tailwind!
    Gear-inches are a throwback to the time of highwheelers; the pedals were grafted to the front hub, so the gearing of your final drive was measured by the diameter of your front wheel! So, having a modern bike with a 52gear-inch ratio would be the same as riding a highwheeler with a 52"-diameter front wheel. You can figure them out, fairly accurately, by dividing the front sprocket by the rear sprocket, and then multiplying that quotient by the size of the drive wheel. For example:
    44(front sprocket) divided by 22 (rear sprocket) equals 2. 2 times 26 (size of wheel)= 52. Hence, 52 gear-inches.

    I hope that helps. Just doing the ratio of front sprocket to rear sprocket doesn't tell us much, as a 44x22 on a 16"-wheel folder will be much different than a 44x22 on a 29er.... Other factors exist, such as the length of the crankarm; Sheldon factored that in to find "gain ratios"....

  17. #17
    Senior Member HBCruiser1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    My Bikes
    3G Isla Vista Beach Cruiser
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks surreal, that does help knowing the base for the idea, so my 44/17 * 26 = 67 gear inches. What does that tell me vs. other "numbers"?
    My other number 44/13 * 26 = 88 which is really high (hard to push).

    So just playing with the numbers and seeing what combinations are readily available in the marketplace as far as components helps to dial in what you're looking for, is that the idea?

  18. #18
    Senior Member surreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,085
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HBCruiser1 View Post
    Thanks surreal, that does help knowing the base for the idea, so my 44/17 * 26 = 67 gear inches. What does that tell me vs. other "numbers"?
    My other number 44/13 * 26 = 88 which is really high (hard to push).

    So just playing with the numbers and seeing what combinations are readily available in the marketplace as far as components helps to dial in what you're looking for, is that the idea?
    The way I look at it, it's a more universal way of expressing the ratios. Your 44/17 seems like a good medium-sized gear for on-road cruising, but a 44/17 on a 20" would be quite low. For a multispeed setup, seeing it in "inches" rather than "X by Y" will help with making sense of the variable sprockets; this is even more helpful with IGH set-ups, where the front/rear ratio stays the same, but the overall gearing jumps as you shift.

    A good way to familiarize yourself with what different inches "feel" like is to take a multispeed bike that you ride a lot, find out how the various ratios are expressed in gear-inches, and then go for a ride, while trying to remain aware of the inches you're pushing. That way, when someone says "I'm running a 60 inch gear", you'll have a pretty good understanding of what s/he's talking about by referencing your own rides....

  19. #19
    Senior Member Curtis Odom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    132
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, got a 66 toother on my delivery bike.cruiser-01.jpg

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    346
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Odom View Post
    Sure, got a 66 toother on my delivery bike.
    what size is that rear sprocket? i don't see any cables. is it a single speed, or maybe a two speed?

  21. #21
    Senior Member Curtis Odom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    132
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Philphine View Post
    what size is that rear sprocket? i don't see any cables. is it a single speed, or maybe a two speed?
    The bike is a single speed with a 28 tooth rear sprocket, custom hubs and HED carbon rims.

  22. #22
    Senior Member HBCruiser1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    My Bikes
    3G Isla Vista Beach Cruiser
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surreal View Post
    ...A good way to familiarize yourself with what different inches "feel" like is to take a multispeed bike that you ride a lot, find out how the various ratios are expressed in gear-inches, and then go for a ride, while trying to remain aware of the inches you're pushing. That way, when someone says "I'm running a 60 inch gear", you'll have a pretty good understanding of what s/he's talking about by referencing your own rides....
    Great idea. I sort of get it now. Seems like the same or near same gear inches would behave differently depending on the size of the front ring. Maybe not, maybe just me.

    Curious- that bada$$ bike Curtis just posted has an approx. 65 gear inches (66/28 * 27.5") which would seem to close to my setup but with a 44/17 * 26" of 67 gear inches, so his with the bigger front ring it would be slightly easier to push than mine? Is that a sound comparison?
    Last edited by HBCruiser1; 01-12-15 at 03:53 PM.

  23. #23
    Junior Member joshfromga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good day at the auction! Got a schwinn xr-8 for $5. After salvaging the 66t chainring and 13" mini-apes i gave the rest of the frame to a friend to scrap. Gotta find something ridiculous to put it on. Probably my meteor flyte, paired with a bendix 2 speed
    Wheelin' n Dealin'...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •