Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Zebrakenko- ever heard of?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-05, 12:25 AM
Major Major

Bikes: Zebrakenko (nishiki knock-off) fixed. Its all broke though. Now, some other old, unidentified japanese frame, freshly spray-painted black(kinda hot). Puch, ss...or is that fffda7th's?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

and what do you know about this brand?
Old 05-02-05, 04:06 AM
Wind Breaker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by somebodies
and what do you know about this brand?
Sorry, can't be of any assistance. 'Zebra' does ring a bell, though:
Old 05-02-05, 07:04 AM
NFL Owner

Bikes: 7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
My first road bike was a Zebrakenko. From what I remember of it, it was of the same quality level as the average department store bike. It had stamped steel dropouts, no rear derailleur hanger, and no braze-ons at all.
Old 05-02-05, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Zebrakenko was a Japanese brand that goes back to the turn of the century (20th) but only started US distribution in the mid 1970s. They offered a wide range of models, from entry level to high end. There was even a nice Dura Ace 10 equipped track bicycle. The early models were typical Japanese bicycles, clean workmanship, very sturdy, capable components, but having a "dead" ride quality relative to the resiliency of most European bicycles. Depending on the year and/or model you could find them equipped with wither Shimano or SunTour based groups. The head badge was quite nice, an oval with a roaring lion's head in the centre, a crown over the lion's head and 'GOLDENSPORTS GS ZEBRAKENKO'.
Old 05-04-05, 07:56 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Never rode a Zebrakenko but we had their catalog laying around the shop I worked at in the '70s. As T-Mar points out, they had an extensive line, ranging from basic to high-end pro type bikes. We used to marvel at some of the Japanese market oriented models that had a wild array of lights, racks, mirrors, fenders, etc. combined with some pretty strange aesthetics. They seem to be one of the Japanese brands that never caught on in a big way here in the US.

Joe
Old 05-05-05, 04:33 PM
mashedtatersngravyplease

Bikes: cannondale alpine series(mt), cannondale r6oo, sekine (rd), schwinn varsity, schwinn suburban, western flyer nerdbike, rickshaw from yogyakarta(sp?), ripped up baby trailers to use as a truck, and some other stuff too

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i was going to point you in t-mar's direction, but it looks like he already found you. i had a zebra-kenko i found in a thrift store in alaska, it was a really good quality road bike, and yes a pretty cool head badge. this was a few years ago, and i never could find any info on it, actually i was surprised nobody had ever heard of it, considering the quality
Old 05-10-05, 08:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

Agree with T-Mar's post. My info nuggets: Sold by my LBS in mid-late '70's, I remember three levels, labeled Thunder, Storm (I think) and Lightning from low to high. In 1977, $ 180.00 of my hard-earned paper route money bought a beautiful shiny black Thunder model. Steel lugged frame, nice quality, Suntour components , def. not top-shelf, but better than department store and low end Huffy/Schwinns of the time. Rode the piss out of it for a year or two, bought a car and that was it. It spent the next 25 years in a succession of garages and basements, I just couldn't let it go.

Last year , decided to get off my ass and lose some weight. I replaced the tires and up graded the seat to handle my 311 lbs and put another 200 miles on it before buying my Trek 2000. I still can't part with it yet...but right now I prefer the new bike (17 more gears, and about half the weight...)

tom
Old 05-11-05, 07:55 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just saw a Zebrakenko chained to a lightpost in NYC. A nice lugged frame in burnt orange made from Ishiwata 022 but converted to a city-type bike with a bunch of random components. I'm guessing it was late '80s - when did they stop production?
Old 05-11-05, 02:44 PM
Wheres the beef?

Bikes: Zebrakenko fixie, cannondale mountan bike schwinn continental and twinn tandem all SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am riding a Zebrakenko.. Golden Sport are the only other words on it so i assume thats the model.. I got it as just a frame and fork its lugged and a beautiful orange color with chrome chain stays and has suntour drop outs.. sounds like the one jemoryl saw.. I have this bike set up as a fixed gear city bike
nobody at any of my LBS's has heard anything about these bikes
but apparently it passes the 'pling test' for tube quality
I do love the head badge the loin with a crown.. rasta
Old 06-02-05, 02:27 PM
domestic goddess

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i am also riding a zebrakenko, and am also in minneapolis, and the frame's set up as a fixie.

maybe our bikes should date.

Originally Posted by rattking
I am riding a Zebrakenko.. Golden Sport are the only other words on it so i assume thats the model.. I got it as just a frame and fork its lugged and a beautiful orange color with chrome chain stays and has suntour drop outs.. sounds like the one jemoryl saw.. I have this bike set up as a fixed gear city bike
nobody at any of my LBS's has heard anything about these bikes
but apparently it passes the 'pling test' for tube quality
I do love the head badge the loin with a crown.. rasta
Old 06-02-05, 03:34 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by jemoryl
Just saw a Zebrakenko chained to a lightpost in NYC. A nice lugged frame in burnt orange made from Ishiwata 022 but converted to a city-type bike with a bunch of random components. I'm guessing it was late '80s - when did they stop production?

Today I bought what is probably a very similar model to the one you saw chained up. Mine has suntour 6sp group, sugino crankset, rigida rim on the back, arroyo rim on front, dia-compe brakes........pretty typical middle of the road stuff. Definately not junk but it's not as light as my Trek 460.

Oh yeah and bought it for 10.00!

OldsCOOL
Old 06-13-08, 05:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a 1982 Zebrakenko Storm. It is a realy nice bike. I also had a Wind that I sold. Wish I hadn't.

The tubing and welds is pretty decent. Paid $380 new in 1982.
Old 07-01-09, 01:55 PM

Bikes: Rampar Fixed Conversion, 1966 Raleigh Sports, 1960's Women's Italia, 1970's GoldenSport Zebrankenko, and just a few others...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too funny! I just bought a 1977 GS Zebrakenko that i'm in the middle of fixing up. She's a gem in the rough so far with real nice Shimano Cyclone GT derailleurs and leather saddle. I've posted some pretty rough looking pics under Classic & Vintage.
Old 07-01-09, 02:20 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
As stated above, they were similar to typical Japanese bikes of the era. The bike shop called Bicycle Habitat in NYC sold many of them. In NYC, people don't require big brands as they do elsewhere. Bikes (and other things) can make it alone on quality and a shop's recommendation.

Since it was a typical Japanese bike, it was far above the quality of department store bike quality. Back then, department store bikes were much worse than bike shop bikes. That gap has narrowed a bit lately.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-02-09, 02:07 PM
Steel80's

Bikes: Breezer Venturi, Breezer Lightning Pro, Schwinn Peloton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I thinkin the early 80's they just became Zebra. I have a Zebra Tempest I picked up off the street on "Sparkle Day". It's a wacky pastel green. Since it was pretty far gone, now it's a fixed gear with nice new parts on it.
Old 07-02-09, 02:57 PM

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a Kenko 'Storm' I see no mention of Zebra on the badge, but I suspect they are one in the same company.
Old 07-06-09, 09:54 PM

Bikes: Rampar Fixed Conversion, 1966 Raleigh Sports, 1960's Women's Italia, 1970's GoldenSport Zebrankenko, and just a few others...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do any of you have a decent looking picture of the Golden Sport decal that is on the downtube? Mine is really rough looking and I'd like to have it recreated and replaced once i have this thing painted.
Old 07-07-09, 03:39 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 37 Posts
Mine doesn't have one on the dt, but the st

Take a look here for increased view and other decals
Old 07-07-09, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by vinfix
I thinkin the early 80's they just became Zebra. I have a Zebra Tempest I picked up off the street on "Sparkle Day". It's a wacky pastel green. Since it was pretty far gone, now it's a fixed gear with nice new parts on it.
Zebrakenko was sold though 1984. Zebra appeared in 1985.

Originally Posted by BigPolishJimmy
I have a Kenko 'Storm' I see no mention of Zebra on the badge, but I suspect they are one in the same company.
Sounds reasonable, given that the Storm was a Zebrakenko model. I wonder if the brand name differed, depending on the country? Or maybe they split into two brands, Zebra and Kenko, after 1984?
Old 07-08-09, 12:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elev12k
Mine doesn't have one on the dt, but the st

Take a look here for increased view and other decals
ooops your correct sir! I meant seattube.

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-16-14, 12:34 AM

Bikes: 1996 LeMond Yellow Jersey, 2013 Soma Saga, 1980 Zebrakenko Wind, 1980 Nishiki Ultimate

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ah, thats where the model name was written. Too bad I got the decals off before reading them. They didn't strike me as high quality.

Then again, they were printed in the 80's.
Old 03-16-14, 12:59 AM

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
I remember Zebrakenkos being sold in most dealers next to Takaras, so I pretty much thought that they were of the same quality level and price. Not quite as nice a Fujis and quite a bit below Miyatas. But the good thing was the frames were well made despite the lower tier components mounted on them and the prices the bike went for....which was typical of the Japanese bikes sold here in the 80's.
Old 03-16-14, 01:43 AM
No longer active

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Ask among fixie riders; around here their track bikes rate as: @#$K yeah!!
Old 03-16-14, 05:41 AM
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
My son had a fixie that was made off of a mid-70's Zebrakenko by a prior owner. It was lugged cro-mo steel and had decent forged dropouts but the model name was lost with the decals. It still had the head badge and most of its blue-grey paint. The frame angles were a little too relaxed for my liking but we had fun with it before passing it on to another owner who is still riding it. Decent quality bike. Fond memories.
Old 03-16-14, 06:04 AM

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Last year I gave away two Zebrakenkos, low end bikes, good riding,had no use or plans for them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.