Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

student on a budget needs cheap bike

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-05, 10:39 PM
hvn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi everyone,

i'm a med student on a tight budget. my car just died on me and i simply can't afford a new one. to get around town and school (5 mile commute radius to school/stores) what bike would you recommend? i really can't spend more than $350. should i just get one of those cheapie bikes from costco or target for $100 or actually invest in a more expensive bike? i'm hoping i'll take to this biking thing and won't need a car for a while. any advice is appreciated. thanks!
Old 05-20-05, 10:43 PM
JOCP Senior Advisor

Bikes: 1979 Shcwinn Varsity, 2005 Speciazlied Transition Multi-Sport, 2005 Specailized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may want to check out Ebay, you can maybe snag something decent for cheap. Who knows your LBS may have a good sale goin on that you can get a decent bike for your price range.

Elvish
Old 05-20-05, 11:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check craigslist as well. Where are you located?
Old 05-21-05, 12:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DONT go the walmart route. You'll be sorry, those things are garbage, and usually assembled wrong to boot. Look on craigslist, ebay, local classifieds, garage sales, thrift stores etc. Get a used bike that fits you reasonably well. I paid $100 for my main commuter, and I'll admit that's not what I've got into it but the original purchase was good and it did everything I needed. Its changed alot, and then some, but it remains the best bike I have.
Old 05-21-05, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
A quality midrange bike in used (but not worn-out) condition should be within your price range. Look for models which were about $5-700 when new.
For a practical utility bike you need the ability to fit a luggage rack and fenders. Ensure you have threaded eyelets on the frame. Avoid suspension. Look for a hybird style or older ridgid MTB.
Make sure the bike fits you. Budget for helmet, lights, rack, fenders, pannier bags, puncture repair outfit, lock.
Old 05-21-05, 04:22 AM
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelW
A quality midrange bike in used (but not worn-out) condition should be within your price range. Look for models which were about $5-700 when new.
For a practical utility bike you need the ability to fit a luggage rack and fenders. Ensure you have threaded eyelets on the frame. Avoid suspension. Look for a hybird style or older ridgid MTB.
Make sure the bike fits you. Budget for helmet, lights, rack, fenders, pannier bags, puncture repair outfit, lock.
ditto.
Old 05-21-05, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
The problem with the amount you stated ($350.00) is very little for a bicycle because after you add the following, you're really left with practically nothing for the bicycle. I consider the following essential

1. Helmet --- $40.00
2. Rear Rack --- $40.00
3. Lights (front and rear) ---- $50.00
4. Fenders ----- $60.00
5. Extra tube -----$5.00
6. Portable pump ----- $25.00
7. Lock ---- $80.00

I suppose you can cut out the fenders and rear rack but that's all! This leaves you with about $50.00 dollars for a bicycle which isn't a lot of money. As a former motorist, I know exactly how you feel being broke and you're lucky to have gone this far because many of my friends never finished college after buying new cars. However, you're going to need to put more money because the accessories I listed above have to be purchased. I didn't even include things like a tune up for a used bicycle which I'm certain it will probably need. A bicycle is not a toy and you will need a vehicle that can safely ride along with cars, trucks and buses.
Old 05-21-05, 05:23 AM
Immoderator

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Um, let's try that again:
1.Helmet-20 or 30 bucks
2.Rear rack-not really necessary, you've got a backpack for now, right?
3.Lights(front and rear)- get some cheap but reliable LEDs and some rechargeable batteries, shouldn't be more than 20 dollars.
4.Fenders-$30, and I wouldn't call that an immediate NEED, either.
5.Extra Tube $5 max
6.Portable pump-$25 bucks
7.Lock-You can get a perfectly fine Kryptonite in the 30-40 dollar range.
This still leaves about $200 which can still buy a decent comfort bike from a reputable brand, not to mention a nice used bike from craigslist or the newspaper. This is assuming he doesn't hav e any cycling-related equipment. No need to scare the guy with artificially inflated figures. One of the best things about cycling is how super cheap it is, if you let it, that is. Good luck to you hvn.
Old 05-21-05, 05:57 AM

Bikes: .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK check your local thrift stores, bike shops that deal in used, etc. Get the lights if you're going to be out at night at all, a helmet, lock, small stuff like spare tube, patch kit, those things that keep your pants out of the chain, etc., and true, you may be able to pick up a "comfort bike" of a good brand if you're thrifty with the other stuff.

5 miles isn't so bad, assuming you're in decent shape. Biking is CHEAP, you'll find out.
Old 05-21-05, 06:18 AM
Just riding

Bikes: Cannondale Bad Boy / Mercian track / BOB trailer / Moulton recumbent project

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cheap new bikes are usually rubbish; IMO you're much better off looking for a used machine. Look at your local for sale ads and check the noticeboards where you study: students are regularly selling on used bikes in good condition. If you don't know what to look for, take a friend who does, but basically: true wheels with no wobbles, good tyres, clean easy shifting in all gears, and a comfy size.
Old 05-21-05, 07:03 AM

Bikes: Masi Speciale Randonneur, Fuji del Ray, Co-Motion Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$350 is a reasonable budget, but definitely go for a used bike. You can pick up a pretty decent old hybrid or rigid mountain bike for around $200.

If possible bring a friend who knows something about bikes to avoid getting ripped off. Otherwise, try to look for a name brand (Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, etc), be sure to test ride the bike, and check to make sure the brakes work well, the shifting is smooth, and the wheels are true.

If your area isn't too hilly, you might consider a single-speed. They will be cheaper up front, and save you on maintenance in the long run. In cities used single-speeds are often easy to come by either at local bike shops or on Craigslist.

Finally, I recommend learning a little bit about bike repair. It will save you money and may come in handy if you break down somewhere.
Old 05-21-05, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
The only new bike I would suggest in that range would be a single speed one with a coaster brake. The "hybrids" and "mountain bikes" in this price range will have crappy components. The PT Cruiser is one widely sold "cruiser" or "beach bike" that might work well. This style of bike is what most of the world goes to work on. They won't sprey you with mud, chew up your pants, or get a flat tire every few weeks. It would be my choice for a cheap transportation bike.

However, your best bet would be a used bike, rather than a new one. These should be easy to find on a college campus. I'd look for a used cruiser with fenders -- if I had a lot of steep hills, I'd go for a hybrid.

Paul
Old 05-21-05, 08:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
The problem with the amount you stated ($350.00) is very little for a bicycle because after you add the following, you're really left with practically nothing for the bicycle. I consider the following essential

1. Helmet --- $40.00
2. Rear Rack --- $40.00
3. Lights (front and rear) ---- $50.00
4. Fenders ----- $60.00
5. Extra tube -----$5.00
6. Portable pump ----- $25.00
7. Lock ---- $80.00

I suppose you can cut out the fenders and rear rack but that's all! This leaves you with about $50.00 dollars for a bicycle which isn't a lot of money. As a former motorist, I know exactly how you feel being broke and you're lucky to have gone this far because many of my friends never finished college after buying new cars. However, you're going to need to put more money because the accessories I listed above have to be purchased. I didn't even include things like a tune up for a used bicycle which I'm certain it will probably need. A bicycle is not a toy and you will need a vehicle that can safely ride along with cars, trucks and buses.

I'll try again too... I'm a med student, have my car, but since schedule runs crazy often, no time for the gym... My commute in Philly, 9 miles each way. Most of the time I just take it one way as when I come back it's too late, and don't feel comfortable to bike that late.

Let's see - no Wallmart. I bought a bike from there, heavy as heck, and took it back after a month and a half. Longest ride like 3 miles before something would go wrong or break and stuff. Craiglist in my area is kind of messed up - they overprice everything - people name crazy prices, like this guy wants over 700 for his 3 year old Trek 1000. You can find it at LBS for like 4-500 on sale last years modell new or so.

E-bay - great but you must stay cold, don't get emotional. If you leave in a metro area, that's great, punch in local within 100 miles or so, and punch in a price max - let's say 200. (if you go local, you'll save on shipping, plus like in my case the guy was no willing to ship - less competition for me). I got a Trek 560 for 125, but it's in brand new condition (I could not keep a bike in that condition... the guy had like 40 bikes at home, and knew what he was doing... ) So design a search in bikes by distance and price and follow it for a time. Don't bid till last hour, and don't bid more than a limit you set. Another nice bike will come along.

Thrift stores and yard sales - if your trips will be only 5 miles, this is the greatest option. Last year I got a 69 Schwinn Continetal from a thrift store for 5 bucks. Another no name bike was in their trash, so I picked it up too for parts. The Schwinn was a great learning tool, took it apart completely, sanded down the frame, and put it back together dropping all the parts I do not need. Learned a lot from the experience, even though frustrating at times, and comical too when I was left with too many bolts that I'm not sure where they were supposed to go. However, it's light (lighter than those wallmart bikes), cost for me about 20 dollars with pain and grease. And it rides all right for 10-15 mile rides. So, consider going to some thrift stores - the guys here say they got some really nice deals there. I went around again, did not find much, but you have to be persistent.

Once you have the bike, go through Sheldon Browns site, you'll learn mechanics. Follow his links, and you'll learn even more, rebuilding bike and stuff, so in this way you'll save money on LBS tune ups by doing them yourself. However, a nice LBS is a great source of information. Keep your tube, small parts, and other small purchases to them as a thank you.

Other purchases from above quote:

1. Helmet --- $14
2. Rear Rack --- $0 if backpack, 20$
3. Lights (front and rear) ---- $0 (just dont' ride at night), 20-30$
4. Fenders ----- $0 (think of it later)
5. Extra tube -----$5.00 (or get nashbar for like 3$)
6. Portable pump ----- $6
7. Lock ---- $12

Where did I come up with the prices - that's what I paid about. Look for sales, Nashbar is great. I got the Ascent M12 helmet, very light and lots of air on sale now 16 bucks, CO2 superflate pump 6 bucks, and so on. There's a coupon around the forums (do a search) for 10% off. Last week Nashbar had an additional discount for 20%. Get stuff on clearance, and in that way it's already discounted like 60%. Thank you Nashbar... Performancebike is not bad with 99c shipping this week.

Basically, you can start with something at a very reasonable price. Getting a beater and basic gear can be as inexpensive as 50$ and as much as thousands. People have different resources and different perspectives. I look at the bike messengers. Those guys probably spent like 50-60 bucks on their single speed (great choice as then you don't have to bother with too much mechanics), and they don't wear lycra shorts, helmets, bike shoes. They also make money out of that investment, and they are really good on a bike. There's a video around here about NYC messengers, they are crazy...

Hope my rambling helps... Let us know what's going to happen...

Last edited by Romulus; 05-21-05 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-21-05, 10:07 AM
Sweetened with Splenda

Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hvn
hi everyone,

i'm a med student on a tight budget. my car just died on me and i simply can't afford a new one. to get around town and school (5 mile commute radius to school/stores) what bike would you recommend? i really can't spend more than $350. should i just get one of those cheapie bikes from costco or target for $100 or actually invest in a more expensive bike? i'm hoping i'll take to this biking thing and won't need a car for a while. any advice is appreciated. thanks!
Where are you located?
Old 05-21-05, 10:18 AM
Spoked to Death

Bikes: Salsa La Cruz w/ Alfine 8, Specialized Fuse Pro 27.5+, Surly 1x1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Used bike dealers make a lot of sense, see if you have a 'recycled cycles' location near you, or another used bike shop. Many of them are as professional as regular bike shops and sell complete 'ready to ride' bikes that have already been tuned up and fixed as necessary for very reasonable prices, and if you don't know much about bikes, you can be better assured that you are getting a solid bike.

Again, don't go to walmart! Those bikes are a false economy! I bought a used GT for 80$ that will ride circles around any bike you'd find at any department store for any price! If you need cheap, go USED, not to the department store. A good bike 10 years ago is still a good bike today!

peace,
sam
Old 05-21-05, 10:30 AM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
As far as accessories, I took a couple of minutes to compile a list of stuff off performancebike.com

Bell Arc helmet - $20 (It weighs the exact same as the $140 giro pneumo helmet, pretty well vented). https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4210

Front and rear blinker set - $15 https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4320

Pump - $6.50 https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4361

Patch kit + tire levers + extra tube - $10 https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_id=5412

Full Fenders - $25 https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_id=6700

U-Lock + Cable - $45 (All the protection you'll ever need) https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=6700

Total + Shipping, around $130.

That leaves you $220 for a bike, which is pretty good, in fact, if you throw in an extra $100, you can get a brand spanking new specialized hardrock sport ($330). I had one as my first commuter and it's great, rock solid, just have the bike shop swap in tires with some thread but no knobs.

Or, if you'd really want to save some money, the aluminium framed Trek 3500 mtb is $250.
Old 05-21-05, 11:09 AM
Sweetened with Splenda

Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A decent tool kit / patch / lever / pump set for $13
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=19649
Old 05-21-05, 11:27 AM
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
diamondback outlook/Raleigh M20 $200-$220
https://www.diamondback.com/items.asp...=14&itemid=137
https://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?...temid=205&va=0

helmet $30

Lights $30
GOOD lock: $40

and buy that kit mentioned above forthe pump, etc.

Later, when you can afford it, consider upgrading to slicks, or upgrading the saddle.
Old 05-21-05, 11:39 AM
Immoderator

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I betcha he's gone to get a pair of rollerblades after seeing this thread.
Old 05-21-05, 12:02 PM
hvn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh my goodness. Thanks for all of the help, but I feel like you guys are speaking another language. I think I need to go out and buy bicycles for dummies... Anyone know of a easy to understand online tutorial?

Here's the other reason why I'm apprehensive about buying an expensive bike. Bike theft is the #1 crime in the city. It's a huge college town where most students bike. I just don't want to invest $500 and see my bike get stolen.

I tried looking at Ebay and Craigslist, but honestly, I don't think I know enough to buy something on my own, which is why I came to this forum. I was hoping for some brand/model recommendations and then use those to look on Ebay or Craigslist. So far, I haven't seen anything that fits me. I stand in at 5'2" in shoes.
Old 05-21-05, 12:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hvn
Here's the other reason why I'm apprehensive about buying an expensive bike. Bike theft is the #1 crime in the city. It's a huge college town where most students bike. I just don't want to invest $500 and see my bike get stolen.
What city? If you let us know, we could be big dorks and help point out some good deals. As for sizing, you could try heading into a local bike shop, and see if they can help you decide what size of bike you need. At 5'2", you're probably looking for a pretty small bike, though.

If you get 2 locks, you should be better prepared than other people, especially if you lock your bike up where there are easier to steal bikes. A U-lock and a hefty chain or cable lock should help prevent theft a little better.
Old 05-21-05, 12:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your height may be an advantage in that once you find a bike your size, you can probably get it at a lower price.

I will repeat the advice to buy a used bike, you'll get more for your money. Find out what size bike you will need and when you find one that will fit you, use the internet as a resource to find out about the particular bike you're lookig at. Googling the make and model can often yeild good info, including the original retail prices and often some consumer reviews. Dont' be afraid to come back here and post a link or pics of a bike in question--you'll get feedback. But also don't be too intimidated by your ignorance about bikes. Bikes aren't very complicated, and it is rare that you are going to buy a lemon if you test ride it first. If it rides, shifts, and brakes well, it's probably okay.

There are creative ways to theft proof your bike in addition to the necessary lock. These usually involve roughing up the paint job or wrapping the frame in electical tape. ANY bike can get stolen, from expensive to cheap. You can take prudent measures to decrease the chances of theft.

I think you can find something in your budget. I found my fiance's first bike on ebay for $150, a Trek hybrid that only needed lights and fenders to be a fine commuter. $200 bucks total.

Don't hesitate to tell us what city/part are of the country you're located, I bet you'd have some people hunting down bikes for you.
Old 05-21-05, 01:15 PM
hvn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Davis, CA so Sacramento and the entire bay area is a shopping ground for me. Davis is as flat as you can get, but it'd be nice if I could use it in moderately hilly San Jose when I visit home.

I see a lot of ppl just locking the front wheel to the frame and leaving it standing there. Do you guys think that's a sufficient theft deterrant or I really need to lock a bike to some rack?
Old 05-21-05, 01:25 PM
hvn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how are these?

https://www.rei.com/outlet/product/47...SHP_CYCLING_SA

https://www.rei.com/outlet/product/47...SHP_CYCLING_SA
Old 05-21-05, 01:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're in Davis! There should be tons of used bikes, especially when the quarter ends in a few weeks. Check out this one. Here's another that's pretty sexy.

Locking the bike to a rack, or something permanent, is definitely a good idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.