Bikeforums.net is a forum about nothing but bikes. Our community can help you find information about hard-to-find and localized information like bicycle tours, specialties like where in your area to have your recumbent bike serviced, or what are the best bicycle tires and seats for the activities you use your bike for.
07-04-05, 06:20 PM
Hi -- did a lot of hill biking this weekend, and also a small amount of running (5K). My achilles tendon started hurting and is tender to touch. What did I do???? Any suggestions?
What did you do? Micro-tears most likely.
1. Lower your saddle a bit, especially when climbing hills
2. Wear lifts in your shoes to shorten your achilles tendon when running
3. Stay off the bicycle and off your feet for the next few days or week or so until the pain subsides
4. Do not stretch, at this point that will only make it worse
5. Elevate it and use ice to bring down the inflamation (10 minutes on, 10 minutes off ... don't freeze it!)
5. See a sports dr or physiotherapist to confim all this
Take care of it now. If you continue to ride and run with things as they are, you will only make it worse, and you could be off the bicycle for months. It took me about 6 months to heal, and I still wear ankle braces for hilly and/or long rides 3 years later.