Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Creaking Brooks saddle. Solution ?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-05, 01:33 AM
Dutch guy in Taiwan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

On my new trekking bike I have a leather Brooks Conquest saddle.
I like it a lot and after 300km it is already more comfortable (broken in to the shape of my butt) than I had hoped for. It's already very comfortable. Maybe the damp heath in Taiwan (where I live) accelerates this process.

However, the thing that (mildly) irritates me is that it creaks a lot !
Maybe this is inherent to this type of saddle ?
Does anybody know a way to fix this ?

I think the noise comes from the saddle itself, not seatpost.
Old 08-13-05, 08:35 AM
Ouch!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spray the crap out of it with silcone lubricant. It will probably seep into where the creek is coming from, and give you a bit of relief for a while. Re-apply as necessary.
Note - silicone spray will not damage or stain leather or synthetics, so don't be afraid to give it a good hosing. Also, silicone protects materials from UV sunlight damage, as an added bonus to help keep your saddle healthier for longer.
Old 08-13-05, 11:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YuShan
Hi,

On my new trekking bike I have a leather Brooks Conquest saddle.
I like it a lot and after 300km it is already more comfortable (broken in to the shape of my butt) than I had hoped for. It's already very comfortable. Maybe the damp heath in Taiwan (where I live) accelerates this process.

However, the thing that (mildly) irritates me is that it creaks a lot !
Maybe this is inherent to this type of saddle ?
Does anybody know a way to fix this ?

I think the noise comes from the saddle itself, not seatpost.
I also have a Conquest, which also creaks, squeaks, and oinks constantly. I tried lubricating the ends of the springs where they attach to the saddle's frame, with tri-flow. It made no difference. I was unwilling to get the lubricant on the leather.
I have known other people who have the same problem with the Conquest. I pretty much have come to accept the noises and ignore them. At least I know what is causing them, unlike those mysterious and infuriating drivetrain or frame creaks that you can never locate and cure. As an added benefit, if I ever do develop a "mystery creak" it will be drowned out by the Brooks, and I won't worry about it !