Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Recumbent Bicycle Shoes/Straps

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-05, 01:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a RANS Rocket. I use track shoes and pedals w/ straps. I used to have bike shoes w/ clips for an older Linear LWB that I traded in for the RANS Rocket. Those shoes hurt so much that this time I decided to go back to jogging shoes and pedals w/ straps, the way I used to ride for may years. I am 53 years old. Now after an hour of riding w/ the staps my feet hurt. After an hour and a half they really hurt! Can anyone recommend pedals w/ a flat platform, and straps that let your foot extent forward another couple of inches? ----- Or can you recommend some bike shoes (that I can also walk in). I have noticed that riding a recumbent, if I decide to use biking shoes, will probably require a different kind of shoe from a regular upright bike. ----- With a regular upright bike I can lift the pedals up and forward with my feet (inside the straps). With a recumbent I push down and pull back (inside the straps), and this tends to casue my feet to slip back out of the straps. ----- So if I get biking shoes, I want to be able to pull back without un-cleating the shoe.
Old 10-06-05, 07:32 AM
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, get SPD biking shoes. Find ones meant for mountain biking, they usually have a recessed cleat that lets you walk in them like normal shoes. Also, be sure to have the cleat mounted as close towards your heel as possible, many people find that this eases any pain/numbness they experience when riding a recumbent.

And one more thing... we're not blind, so in your next post could you keep the text at a normal size? Thanks.
Old 10-06-05, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Either SPD mountain bike type shoes and pedals, or Eggbeaters. Both are two sided pedals, and you don't have to mess around getting the pedal in the right position to clip in.
Old 10-06-05, 11:30 AM
ppc
Senile Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
Either SPD mountain bike type shoes and pedals, or Eggbeaters. Both are two sided pedals, and you don't have to mess around getting the pedal in the right position to clip in.
There's a neat trick to always have the pedals in the right position and reading for clipping in: attach cheap plastic toe-pieces (the kind that wrap around your foot but doesn't have straps, only to position the foot into the pedal) to your pedals, just like if you wanted to use them to pedal on one side, and they'll always drop the other side of the pedals in the right position, i.e. facing you and slightly up.
Old 10-06-05, 02:19 PM
Totally Bent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff-o
And one more thing... we're not blind, so in your next post could you keep the text at a normal size? Thanks.
Actually, with the aging of the North American population, many of us do appreciate the larger type face. This may be even more the case as the bent riders are often getting into their fifties and up.

Thx

Charles
Old 10-06-05, 02:26 PM
Totally Bent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an ancient pair of off-road shoes from Specialized which I use with Campy platform pedals, and toe clips and straps on my Bianchi DF. On the bent, I have off-road "quills" with clips and straps. These are large enough that I can get away with wearing my Saucony running shoes. I am due to replace the running shoes in a few weeks and when I do, I will take a pedal off of my Bianchi so I can find a pair of runners which have a narrow enough base to fit the pedal and clip.

I was tempted to go the clipless route, but my budget won't accommodate the expense of new bike shoes, cleats and pedals. I also run and think it would be great to get into biathlons. I would not have to change shoes between the ridden and run segments of the race.
Old 10-06-05, 02:26 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Large fonts are like upper case - on the Internet, using them is like yelling. If you have problems seeing normal fonts, then simply change your screen resolution. Please don't blast everyone else.

To keep my post on-topic, I'll add another vote for SPD. I went so far as to elongate the holes in my shoes so I could put the cleat another 1/2" further back. It really helps prevent foot pain.
Old 10-06-05, 02:32 PM
Totally Bent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Large fonts are like upper case - on the Internet, using them is like yelling. If you have problems seeing normal fonts, then simply change your screen resolution. Please don't blast everyone else.

To keep my post on-topic, I'll add another vote for SPD. I went so far as to elongate the holes in my shoes so I could put the cleat another 1/2" further back. It really helps prevent foot pain.
Again, I'd go with a larger typeface. We have begun to increase the type size in our print materials where I work for this very reason. I agree that all-caps is shouting, but I don't think a larger typeface falls into the same category. It is just a courtesy to the older reader. in Canada, 65% of the population are "boomers" at they (we) are getting pretty close to retirement. At 56 my focus is on its way out, and I appreciate the larger type. I just don't think to use it!
Old 10-06-05, 05:20 PM
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchiriderlon
Again, I'd go with a larger typeface. We have begun to increase the type size in our print materials where I work for this very reason. I agree that all-caps is shouting, but I don't think a larger typeface falls into the same category. It is just a courtesy to the older reader. in Canada, 65% of the population are "boomers" at they (we) are getting pretty close to retirement. At 56 my focus is on its way out, and I appreciate the larger type. I just don't think to use it!
I wear glasses for that reason.
Old 10-06-05, 05:22 PM
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I'll add another vote for SPD. I went so far as to elongate the holes in my shoes so I could put the cleat another 1/2" further back. It really helps prevent foot pain.
How'd you do that?
Old 10-06-05, 06:15 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by megaman
How'd you do that?
With a dremel.
Old 10-07-05, 11:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 17 year old son started on his RANS Rocket with court shoes and his feet were killing him after 5 miles. We got Shimano 520 SPD pedals and Nike mt. bike shoes and he's been quite comfortable, plus the shoes are easy to walk in and he has no problem with traction when he's stopped with feet on the pavement.

I wondered about having lace-up shoes, but there is a little elastic piece that keeps the laces out of the way. I know that he's still walking comfortably when my feet start to hurt a bit from my Shimano sport biking shoes. And, of course, the kid can outride me when I'm on my DF...that Rocket can be quick with the right rider.
Old 10-07-05, 02:02 PM
Totally Bent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tornadobass
My 17 year old son started on his RANS Rocket with court shoes and his feet were killing him after 5 miles. We got Shimano 520 SPD pedals and Nike mt. bike shoes and he's been quite comfortable, plus the shoes are easy to walk in and he has no problem with traction when he's stopped with feet on the pavement.

I wondered about having lace-up shoes, but there is a little elastic piece that keeps the laces out of the way. I know that he's still walking comfortably when my feet start to hurt a bit from my Shimano sport biking shoes. And, of course, the kid can outride me when I'm on my DF...that Rocket can be quick with the right rider.
The soles of my Sauconys are robust enough that I don't feel the pedal pressing through. One day when I'm rich, I'll buy a pair of bike shoes with cleats and a set of pedals.