Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Coffee in a Water Bottle Cage

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-05, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone know of an insulated, stainless contained which fits a water bottle cage? I would like to have some coffee during my train ride.
Old 10-11-05, 08:34 PM
RPM: 85. MPH: varies.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you may be interested in: https://www.bicyclecoffeesystems.com/
Old 10-11-05, 08:59 PM
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
These are my comments, mostly from another tread.

I drink a lot of coffee and use a Starbucks' Extreme Travel Mug.

I couldn't find it anywhere on the American Starbucks site, but here's a link to the Australian Starbucks site I have seen these on the shelves at nearly all of the Dallas Starbucks, (my wife loves their Peppermint Mochas).

The best part of this mug is that it does not leak and it fits perfectly in my Planet Bike Cage

I brew up coffee and take it on every ride. I have water in one cage and coffee in the other. I had a crash about a month ago. The coffee stayed put and I had to go get my water bottle from across the street.
Old 10-11-05, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently bought the Megaslim 2-in-1 vacuum bottle shown on bicyclecoffeesystems.com site from Campmor. Not bad. I use the sealed/pourer top, and have not used the waterbottle style top yet. I use it for coffee, commuting 45 mins to school. For some reason, the first time I used it, the seal wasn't perfect, and it leaked a few drops into the "cup" top. However, I have since removed and reinstalled the silicone seal, and have had no more leaks at all since then. I measured about a 5 degree F drop in beverage temp per hour using it in this configuration--more than adequate for my purposes, since I drink the coffee w/in 4 hours from being made. I happen to have about 10 of the plastic Profile Kages mentioned on the above site around, as they used to sponsor me, and the Megaslim fits in there fine, a slight bit loose. It could eject in very severe conditions, I suppose-- a crash, or jackhammer washboard at speed. However, I have not tried a smaller rubber band in the Kage's top channel, and I do think that might remedy such risk. Two things on the item's finish: it feels quite cheap compared to more expensive bottles, and it dings rather easily. Mine already has two little dimples from just falling over in the parking lot. If you are gonna really throw it around, I'd advise getting a vacuum bottle that is NOT stainless steel on the outside, but the plastic/polycarb instead. Or maybe Nissan uses heavier ss--for twice as much $, they should, eh?

I am satisfied with it. BTW, I did leak-test the water bottle top, and it did not leak under non-vigorous conditions. Also, it's got a vent valve so you get a smooth flow--I don't know that I'd want to suck hot coffee out of it, though (it's got a warning saying "no hot beverages" or the like).
Old 10-11-05, 10:29 PM
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
I prefer a cheap plastic one from the gas station. It's plastic so I can microwave it at work (35F AM rides this time of year) and if it should bounce out of the cage I'm out $1.49 if I had to buy it.
Old 10-12-05, 12:10 AM
dirtbag roadie

Bikes: Della Santa Corsa Speciale -- Kish custom -- Santa Cruz Stigmata -- Niner Air 9 Carbon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Whoa, I used to work with the bicyclecoffeesystems guy, Steve Scharf. I knew he was into his bikes (I borrowed a truing stand from him at one point) but I didn't know he was, like, famous. net.famous anyway.

His fung shui page is not to be missed: https://nordicgroup.us/fengshui.htm
Old 10-12-05, 02:22 AM
Airborne Titanium

Bikes: Airborne Ti Upright, Raleigh M-20 beater, Peugeot Folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Starbucks used to have a bullet thermos that with the push of a button lets you drink. I'll have to look at mine to see who made them for starbucks
Old 10-12-05, 08:14 AM
jim anchower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edtrek
I think you may be interested in: https://www.bicyclecoffeesystems.com/
this web site is great - i love coffee and i love biking. i haven't installed anything on my bike tho -- i'd rather just bike my nine miles and enjoy my coffee at work
Old 10-12-05, 09:11 AM

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone MB-5 - modified to be a commuter/tourer, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 198? Cannondale ST, 19?? Cruiser - my daily ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too use a cheap plastic cup that seals well enough and the coffee is still hot enough when I hit the office. That works for all my bikes except my old Cannondale which has 2 spots for bottle cages but they are both on the down tube. Oh well, as Mick said, "You can't always get what you want."

Best,
e.
Old 10-12-05, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12190 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
Hi,
I have had a Megaslim for a couple of years, got it at Campmor.
It works. If you have a metal cage, it rattles around, but I have never had it fall out. It will keep coffee hot for a couple of hours.

I also have a travel mug that is made like a thermos. No handle, there is a little window that slides back and forth. I actually got it at a yard sale. Keep your eyes open, you might find something pretty cool just wandering around.

Target used to have a thermos that would go on a bike, they might still have it.
Old 10-12-05, 09:48 AM
contrarian

Bikes: 80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MMACH 5
These are my comments, mostly from another tread.

I drink a lot of coffee and use a Starbucks' Extreme Travel Mug.

I couldn't find it anywhere on the American Starbucks site, but here's a link to the Australian Starbucks site I have seen these on the shelves at nearly all of the Dallas Starbucks, (my wife loves their Peppermint Mochas).

The best part of this mug is that it does not leak and it fits perfectly in my Planet Bike Cage

I brew up coffee and take it on every ride. I have water in one cage and coffee in the other. I had a crash about a month ago. The coffee stayed put and I had to go get my water bottle from across the street.
That's cool.

I don't worry about insulation and use a Sigg bottle.
Old 10-12-05, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
If you live near a Walgreens, they have a cheap one that fits in perfectly. It has a handle... not the non-handle ones.

Koffee

Old 10-12-05, 11:37 AM

Bikes: Fuji Absolut '04 / Fuji 'Marlboro' Folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the:

Nissan Travel Companion 0.79-Quart Stainless-Steel Insulated Bottle

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...arden&n=507846

It fits in the carbon/plastic cages. It has a *real* vacuum, not just a partial vacuum with carbon like most of the ones sold in stores. Of 3 thermoses, it keeps coffee hottest longest. Since its all stainless steel, its very light, and it also fits easily in my backpack or the beverage straps of my messenger bag.

Good luck!
Mark
Old 10-12-05, 02:30 PM
Boston, MA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, this kills me! A number of months ago I thought of a great business idea. Now I see there's a web site dedicated to it. There is no justice.
Old 10-12-05, 03:23 PM
Cycle Dallas

Here's my setup in action:

Full Size Image

Full Size Image

I do likes me some coffee!
Old 10-12-05, 03:30 PM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I'm definitely going to be taking coffee instead of water on my winter morning commutes. As it is I take water on every 25min commute and rarely even take a sip in the AM and only finish the bottle on the hottest of PM summer rides. But coffee I would love in the chilly mornings and it would reduce my habit of standing around nearly chugging two cups before heading out the door.

Al
Old 10-13-05, 06:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my setup in action:

Full Size Image

Full Size Image

I do likes me some coffee!
Coffee on the morning ride with my son to school is a definite must have! I use a 'Migo' cup with a handle that I bought at Target. I keep in my handlebar mounted bottle cage. Or, I can hook it on the handlebar if the road is smooth. Works great

By the way, I was admiring your ride, Mmach. Very nice set-up, indeed! But I have a question: What are those things sticking out below your handlebar?
Old 10-13-05, 09:32 AM
Cycle Dallas

Originally Posted by ellenDSD
...What are those things sticking out below your handlebar?
Those are MTB "long style" bar ends. Since I use the handlebar off of my son's old BMX bike, I attached them there to give me a drop position.
Old 10-13-05, 12:30 PM
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ellenDSD
I use a 'Migo' cup with a handle that I bought at Target. I keep in my handlebar mounted bottle cage. Or, I can hook it on the handlebar if the road is smooth. Works great
Initial testing of my Target Migo cup over the sink this morning, showed that I would lose a lot of Joe thru sploshing, in spite of having the top closed properly. Do you not have this problem?
Old 10-13-05, 01:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those are MTB "long style" bar ends. Since I use the handlebar off of my son's old BMX bike, I attached them there to give me a drop position.
Well, that is ingenious! I don't want to hijack the thread so I sure would appreciate it if you would PM with details about you mounted those.
Old 10-13-05, 01:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by truman
Initial testing of my Target Migo cup over the sink this morning, showed that I would lose a lot of Joe thru sploshing, in spite of having the top closed properly. Do you not have this problem?
I like to leave about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch on top (instead of filling it up) to give some sloshing room. Plus, my holder is on my handlebars and upright (instead of on a slanted down-tube) so that probably helps too.
Old 10-14-05, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actually, most stryrofoam cups fit into water bottle cages. You can make needed adjustments by pulling or pushing your cage into the needed position.

It works OK if you have a snug tight lid. It doesn't work well with soda pop in a cup because the lids pop off.

Oh, and by the way, the cage has to be mounted on the seat tube so that the cup is mostly vertical.

Ciao
Old 10-14-05, 01:03 PM
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Speaker Guy
Does anyone know of an insulated, stainless contained which fits a water bottle cage? I would like to have some coffee during my train ride.
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I've just had a major brainstorm in coffee recycling. Please refer to the attached concept diagram.

Simply put, mount a coffee maker to your bike's rack and fill with water and coffee. Brew coffee as usual. Using the optional milk & sugar drip, route the coffee feed straw from the coffee maker to the M&S drip and into your mouth. In 5-10 min., when you make a peepee, the peepee feed line will go through the Uric Acid/Water filter thingie, trapping the uric acid and pee stuff while sending clean, fresh water to the coffee maker to make more coffee.

Since byproducts are produced, it will not make coffee indefinitely unless the optional (not shown) dehumidifier attachment is included or if it's raining.

Please let me know if someone's already invented this system already and I'll withdraw my patent application.

FAQ
1. How do you power the coffee maker? - Combo helmet mounted solar panel and hub mounted dyanamo.
2. Coffee made from used grounds? Yuck! - Coffee pod autoloader not shown (patent pending)
3. Don't you have anything better to do at work? - Not really.
4. Can I give you millions of dollars to develop this wonderful idea? - Of course (small bills, non-consecutively numbered please).
5. I find creatively minded people extremely sexy. Are you married? - Depends on whether you're extremely sexy.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

Last edited by jyossarian; 10-14-05 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-18-05, 08:02 AM

Bikes: Salsa Las Cruces, Burley R&R and a boat load of others.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just get a tall cap and drink it on a flat mile or so. Would be nice to have a handle bar / stem mount.
Old 10-18-05, 09:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slagjumper
Would be nice to have a handle bar / stem mount.
So get cha one - Nashbar has them for like $3.95 or something like that.