Touring - 1994 Cannondale T700 Upgrade
Bikeforums.net is a forum about nothing but bikes. Our community can help you find information about hard-to-find and localized information like bicycle tours, specialties like where in your area to have your recumbent bike serviced, or what are the best bicycle tires and seats for the activities you use your bike for.
11-05-05, 02:22 AM
From 1994-1998, I logged about 50000 km on my T700 while touring, commuting and training. My riding since 1998 has been sporadic but next summer I would like to do a 1500km tour from Red Deer, Alberta to Mission, BC - about 1200 km. I want to upgrade and fine tune the T700 which pretty much has most of its original components. (I have replaced the gearing a couple of times and the rear wheel once. It's currently a 21 speed with bar-endshifters (which I really like). Any suggestions?
11-05-05, 09:41 AM
ARRGH.. Cannondale only lists specs going back 5 years in their archive, my bike doesn't show up anymore, so I can't see what your's came with originally.
Is there a specific problem that your trying to solve, or is this just a general "what's out there that may be good for me, since I've not been on top of every new product that's come out lately" inquiry? Both are legit, just want to see where we're going with this.
The biggest problem that you MAY run into is going to be the rear dropout spacing. Whatever it is now, it can't be changed. Al, unlike steel, doesn't take well to being bent to widen the dropouts. That will determine what will and won't fit back there in terms of hubs and gearing. If you could lay out the specs on the bike, Crank, Front and Rear Derailers, Cassette, Brakes, yada yada I bet that you will get lots of suggestions.
As for me, I suggest blue handle bar streamers, and a Wayne Gretzky card clipped to the spokes...
Who has noticed a fair number of Canadians on this forum, leading him to suspect that an elite force of Canadian Cyclo-Tourists are planning to invade the United States, bringing with them their well mannered ways, racks of LaBatts and mandatory Toque wearing laws. Oh yea, and back bacon.
11-08-05, 02:01 AM
My apologies. I should have provided a complete list of current components and will try to determine what I have!! With close to 60000km on this bike, I do wonder if I should be upgrading or just buying new?
As far as the your other suggestions and requests:
1. I was never into bar streamers even on my first bike, an early 1960s CCM single speed!!
2. Gretzky IS the greatest but I sort of lost interest in hockey when he was traded from Edmonton to LA in 1988 so cards are out.
3. I have yet to visit all the great and beautiful spots in Canada so will not be invading the US in the near future. However, I am looking forward to seeing your wonderful country one day by bicycle one day before the knees give out.
4. Most of the time I'm well mannered but give me a few brews and who knows? Although I have nothing against Labatts and Molsons, I tend to prefer the smaller breweries -- Okanagan Springs Pale Ale and Porter are two of my favourties.
5. Touques are only mandatory from August to June -- its usually pretty nice in July!!
6. Back bacon -- sorry, can't help you - I'm one of those rare Canadian Vegans!!
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.12 Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.