Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Alivio Crankset

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shimano Alivio Crankset

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-05, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano Alivio Crankset

I have a 1997 GT that I am working on and it has a Shimano Alivio FC-MC16 crankset as seen here:
https://bernd.sluka.de/Fahrrad/Shiman...-MC16_1997.gif
The chainrings will unbolt but they are a riveted set and appears that it must be replaced as a unit. I have found another site stating that the PCD is 67mm yet I cannot find a chainring listed in this size. I am trying to learn and understand. My assumption is that I am just out of luck and the drivetrain needs to be replaced. I would like to keep this assembly if I can. Any thoughts?
Thanks!!
Old 12-21-05, 08:13 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless for some reason you want totay 100% original, you could get a whole new equivalent quality crankset cheaper than replacing rings.
Old 12-21-05, 08:14 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The Alivio and several similar Shimano crankset models came on rather low line bikes and weren't expected to be used enough to wear them out. They were heavy and inexpensive and any set of half-decent chainrings would cost way more than the entire Alivio brand new.

If you have worn out the rings or want different gearing, I'm afraid you will have to replace the entire crank and, probably, the bottom bracket too. Nashbar has a couple of house-branded double and triple cranks and matching ISIS bottom brackets that are very attractively priced. They would be your best bet for a replacement/upgrade at minimal cost.
Old 12-22-05, 05:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help. Looks like I learn to do a bottom bracket swap. Happpy holidays!
Old 12-22-05, 06:44 PM
barnfullagts

Bikes: GT BI Ti/BI Steel - Edge Ti and Steel Xizang Ti and Psyclone Steel

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
If I were you I'd be looking at a FC-M510 Deore or FC-M572 LX hollowtechs cranks. The LX FC-M572 crank can be found on ebay for $75.00 right now and I've seen the FC-M752 XT crank going for $89 dollars at Jenson or Cambria. There was a FC-M510 Deore that went for $35 range last week on ebay, $59 at the bikesmart link below. Better yet $44.95 at Cambria. All of these cranks would have alloy chain rings and be lighter weight.
https://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Shiman...QcmdZViewItem]
https://www.bikesmart.com/index.cfm?m....99&StartRow=1
https://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=19557