Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shimano 600 Downtube Index Shifter Question

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 12-29-05, 10:32 AM

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 03 Gary Fisher Tassjara, Quattro Assi Scandium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi I purchased a set of 7 speed Shimano 600 index downtube shifters. When they came in the mail they were not togwther as units but totally seperate as in all the washers lever and everything were not together as one piece. Can some one tell me the order to put these back together in or better yet provide a diagram. Thanks for the help. I am also going to post in mechanics so mods you can delete one of the posts if its not alright.
Old 12-29-05, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Everest
Hi I purchased a set of 7 speed Shimano 600 index downtube shifters. When they came in the mail they were not togwther as units but totally seperate as in all the washers lever and everything were not together as one piece. Can some one tell me the order to put these back together in or better yet provide a diagram. Thanks for the help. I am also going to post in mechanics so mods you can delete one of the posts if its not alright.
I know how you feel. I have a pair that was purchased in similar condition. A amazing number of little washers and spacers. The guys at my neighborhood LBS assure me they can put a set together when I need it done. But, one tech said to the other: "Yeah, but the last set we put on, we had some left over stuff".

Some of the bike repair books published in the 80's have diagrams of similar units. Half-Price books often has old bike repair manuals in stock.
Old 12-29-05, 11:52 AM
bum bike

Bikes: '85 Woodrup Giro-Touring, 87 Centurion LeMans RS (2), 78 Centurion LeMans, 77 Centurion Super LeMans, 2001 Jamis Quest, 1970 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can sympathize. I took apart some Shimano light action downtube levers and didn't note their order of assembly. I finally got them to work. Trial and error. Now when I take stuff apart I use my digital camera which has a movie mode. Helps out a lot.
Old 12-29-05, 12:27 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Everst - check your PMs. I can't be a lot of help as I never put them together myself but I'll see what I can do.
Old 12-29-05, 01:02 PM
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yikes. I have a road bike that is running these that needs a powdercoat job. If I'm careful about taking them off will they stay together?
Old 12-29-05, 02:24 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Originally Posted by marqueemoon
Yikes. I have a road bike that is running these that needs a powdercoat job. If I'm careful about taking them off will they stay together?
Best way to do this is to take the cable off first (ie no tension or cable to deal with. Then remove the screw off the end while holding the lever on the post. Then you can either push a ziptie or twist-tie of some sort into the screw hole and pull the whole lever off in one movement to keep everything in order. At least - that's how I would do it. My 105 parts are in several seperate pieces but I don't think they are in quite so many parts. As I said in my PM - I'll check mine and try to provide any guide I can.
Old 12-29-05, 03:47 PM
ride on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
useful?
Attached Images
File Type: gif
600-EX-shift-lever-explode.gif (91.3 KB, 353 views)

Last edited by Cool Steel; 05-10-08 at 02:14 AM.
Old 12-29-05, 04:39 PM

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 03 Gary Fisher Tassjara, Quattro Assi Scandium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just took them to my local bike shop to a mechanic I know pretty well he said it shouldnt be a problem. I'm gonna pick it up saturday so we will see. I will take a copy of cool steels diagram up just in case.
Old 12-29-05, 05:04 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Good to hear
Old 12-30-05, 05:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have shimano 600 downtube shifters. When you say index I'am not to sure what you mean. Mine are friction shift.

The way they are set up is
1 Chrome concave plastic piece goes on first, concave side toward frame, Flat side faces out
2 Brass washer
3 Thin steal washer, 2 little protrusions toward frame, Make sure not to bracket the 2 little protrusions between the little metal tab on frame. Things won't fit or shift if you do this. The tab on the frame is a stop for the lever.
4 Shift lever, Make sure the tab on the inside of the lever goes in the notch between the 2 little protrusions
5 Relatively thick rubber\metal washer. Metal side faces frame
6 screw,

sorry about the terminology.

Centurion Comp TA