Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sealed bearings require much maintenance?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-06, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi all...Am wondering whether sealed bearings in wheel hubs and pedals should be regularly maintained or just serviced when problems arise? I ask because, for example, my wheels come with the recommendation to repack or replace the sealed bearing units every 3k miles, but a mechanic acted as if he'd never heard of anyone doing such a thing. Similarly, a repair book recommends servicing pedal bearings, but I have never heard of anyone doing anything to pedals (other than replace them). What say ya'll?
Old 01-17-06, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your mechanic has never heard of repacking bearings...you need to replace the mechanic, not the components.

In memory of Jim Price (aka. sydney) ...
Old 01-17-06, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I suspect the mechanic balked at repacking sealed bearings, not at repacking bearings. I've never actually heard of repacking sealed bearings, either. There may well be some types of sealed-bearing units that can be repacked (e.g., you can force new grease into the bearing cartridges in Shimano headsets, though those aren't totally sealed) but I've not seen any of the standard-type of sealed bearing units that can be repacked. Usually you just replace them.

But, don't replace sealed bearings unless they grind when they turn. You can feel it, it's not like you need to use a rule of thumb, as you might with changing oil in a car. Basically, you can ride sealed-bearing units (in hubs, bottom bracket, etc) into the ground, without harming anything else on the bike. So, I wouldn't replace them unless they give resistance that actually hinders the bike from moving forward.
Old 01-17-06, 10:28 AM
Ferrous wheel

Bikes: 2004 Gunnar Rock Hound MTB; 1988 Gitane Team Pro road bike; 1986-ish Raleigh USA Grand Prix; mid-'80s Univega Gran Tourismo with Xtracycle Free Radical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can (and should) most definitely repack sealed bearings that are not cartridge bearings.
Old 01-17-06, 10:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spider-man
You can (and should) most definitely repack sealed bearings that are not cartridge bearings.
I agree, and object to using "sealed" and "cartridge" as synonyms when talking about bearings. My Shimano hubs, for example, have double sealed cup and cone bearings.

In memory of Jim Price (aka. sydney) ...
Old 01-17-06, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Okay, good point. All modern cup-and-cone bearings in hubs etc. have seals now. I meant sealed cartridge units.
Old 01-17-06, 11:36 AM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, the question for coyote2 is; Are your bearings cartridge type or cup and cone? If they are cup and cone, service them (at least) every 3k miles (more often in tough conditions). If they are cartridge, ride 'em 'till you detect problems. As to pedals; Some are cup and cone, too, and probably should be serviced in a similar manner. It will depend upon the pedal. Sometimes it may be as prudent to just replace the pedal. Like the man says, "it depends." OHB
Old 01-17-06, 01:00 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry, my bad: I am talking about cartridge bearings. So the consensus is to just ride such units until they are crunchy, then replace the cartridges? Are these cartridges (in my Neuvation wheels, for example) proprietary or universal (in other words, can I buy 'em at any decent shop or only from the mfr)?

Thanks all for your answers.
Old 01-17-06, 02:55 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If it's a mass-produced wheel, it will most likely use standard size cartridge bearings.
Old 01-17-06, 03:31 PM
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote2
Similarly, a repair book recommends servicing pedal bearings, but I have never heard of anyone doing anything to pedals (other than replace them). What say ya'll?
I've used loose ball pedals for years, re-packed my first pedal when I was 12.
Last non-cartridge, I got 3 ball re-packs before the races eroded. Roughly 2 yrs.

I switched to cartridge. I was having to re-grease every month or so on my mtb -too much work.
Old 01-17-06, 07:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juicemouse
I agree, and object to using "sealed" and "cartridge" as synonyms when talking about bearings. My Shimano hubs, for example, have double sealed cup and cone bearings.
I know I'm hitting this one a bit late but THANK YOU. That one drives me nuts. It's like when people talk about suspension and say "My fork needs more dampening'. It's damping, not dampening. Sorry for the rant.

By the way, I service sealed cartridge bearings as routine maintenace. I know that they can run alot longer than non-cartridge systems but it only helps increase the life of the sealed cartridge bearing if you flush and repack it. My reasoning for this is that customers usually aren't happy about spending $10.00 or more per cartridge bearing when their are usually four in the rear hub and two in the front. That's over $60 before labor.

Last edited by Pete Hamer; 01-17-06 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-17-06, 08:34 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete Hamer
I know I'm hitting this one a bit late but THANK YOU. That one drives me nuts. It's like when people talk about suspension and say "My fork needs more dampening'. It's damping, not dampening. Sorry for the rant.
I agree. Another peeve is break/brake and road/rode. English is a difficult language but it's not THAT hard.

By the way, I service sealed cartridge bearings as routine maintenace. I know that they can run alot longer than non-cartridge systems but it only helps increase the life of the sealed cartridge bearing if you flush and repack it. My reasoning for this is that customers usually aren't happy about spending $10.00 or more per cartridge bearing when their are usually four in the rear hub and two in the front. That's over $60 before labor.
I've seen two types of "sealed" cartridge bearings. Some have soft plastic or rubber seals on one or both sides. These can be pried out or pushed aside, the bearings flushed and regreased and the seals replaced. Other have metal seals that are, for all practical purposes, non-servicable.
Old 01-17-06, 09:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I agree. Another peeve is break/brake and road/rode. English is a difficult language but

Other have metal seals that are, for all practical purposes, non-servicable.
I'm probably the most guilty person when it comes to taking the English language litely, or is it lightly?

Good call on the medal seels. I sea those so infrequently that I forgot to mention them.
Old 06-26-09, 09:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"alot"?

Pete,

It's really two words:-)

a lot
Old 06-26-09, 05:14 PM
pmt
Experienced

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get all sorts of standard size cartridge bearings at mcmaster.com. I just got some for my Neuvation wheels.
Old 06-26-09, 05:43 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,454 Times in 1,960 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff williams
I've used loose ball pedals for years, re-packed my first pedal when I was 12.
Last non-cartridge, I got 3 ball re-packs before the races eroded. Roughly 2 yrs.
Bummer. My 30 year old loose-ball Zeus pedals just died this spring. The cones and races are still fine; I wore out the pedal cage and it cracked:

Old 06-26-09, 07:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there any way to tell without dis-assembly whether you have sealed or cartridge bearings? The catalog of spare parts for my Fulcrum 7 wheels calls them "sealed" but the cost per bearing is $20.

Does anyone know about the Fulcrums?

Thanks
Old 06-26-09, 08:15 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckhov
Pete,

It's really two words:-)

a lot
This was a 3-years-sleeping thread.
Old 06-26-09, 08:54 PM

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can pry open the seals on cartridge bearings. Usually bearings on bikes are rubber shielded so an exacto knife will pry open the seal. Metal shielded bears usually have a retaining clip.
Old 06-27-09, 06:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
This was a 3-years-sleeping thread.
Sorry, my bad.
Old 06-27-09, 07:41 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by chas0039
Sorry, my bad.
Still worth talking about, though.
Old 06-27-09, 07:52 AM

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2213 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 340 Posts
Old thread but this topic comes up all the time. Contrary to what many people think, "cartridge bearings" CAN be serviced by prying off the seals with a suitable tool and then flushing them out. Most people don't bother though and just wait for them to fail.
Old 06-27-09, 06:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. The cost to replace the bearings on my Fulcrum wheels exceeds the cost to replace the whole wheel so service is worth the effort.

Now to figure out how to get the front hub apart when I need to....
Old 08-12-09, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chas0039
Thanks. The cost to replace the bearings on my Fulcrum wheels exceeds the cost to replace the whole wheel so service is worth the effort.

Now to figure out how to get the front hub apart when I need to....
I just pulled apart a Fulcrum 5 Evolution rear hub using only a pair of 17mm wrenches, so the front hub should require a pair of 15mm. This is not a big deal. Just keep track of the parts as you dissemble everything, or rather, disassemble everything . Since the Fulcrum 7 has not been out too long, I doubt that your cartridges are bad; you probably just have some contaminants in the hub. Try cleaning and re-greasing the area around the bearings and axle, then reinstalling without overtightening the nuts and quick release. This worked for me.

Bob