Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

alternatives to a Brooks saddle?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 01-23-06, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would like to buy a very nice saddle, but not one made from leather. Are there any other saddles out there that can compare with a Brooks saddle that are leather-free?

Thanks

Gabe
Old 01-23-06, 11:53 AM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
There are lot of High Tech saddles that are supposed to be revolutionarilly comfy, but I am not aware of any that does what a Brooks does without leather. I had a Terry saddle on my touring bike, and it got uncomfortable after 40 miles. My brand new brooks was never uncomfortable. The techie saddles seem to grip more so you can't micro adjust position as easily. They seem to use contouring and paddling strategies to support targeted areas of the body. The Brooks is slippery, conforms to the body by allowing the bones to form depressions, rather than elevating the bones on foam and fiberglass towers.
Old 01-23-06, 01:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honest the cow was gagging for it, begging to be a saddle honest.

Get over it
Old 01-23-06, 01:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What an intelligent response.
Old 01-23-06, 01:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks are unique because you end up with a custom fit once it's broken in. I'm trying the Arione right now, but haven't got to tour on it yet. Just don't get one that feels too cushy out of the box. If it's too soft you lose leverage and you'll get monkey butt on tour.
Old 01-23-06, 02:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why thank you!!!!!

Some of my best friends are cows by the way.
Old 01-23-06, 02:50 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The old Avocet touring and touring II is highly thought of and sought after. You can find them on Ebay occasionaly. No cows were killed to make Avocet Saddles but the reputations of several virgin vinyls were compromised beyond redemption.
Old 01-23-06, 02:58 PM

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1986 Kuwahara ATB, 2006 Bianchi Volpe, 2016 Salsa Fargo

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
[QUOTE=cyklehike]I'm trying the Arione right now, but haven't got to tour on it yet.QUOTE]

I had an Arione on a Specialized go-fast bike that I owned. That is one nice saddle. A weird saddle - looks like it was designed by aliens - but a good one. I don't know how I'd feel about touring on one, but it's good. Just make sure you only wear dark shorts - that suede center strip stains. I haven't gotten a Brooks yet, but the comfiest saddle I ever owned was a yellow hard plastic saddle that came w/ my p.o.s. Ross BMX when I was a kid. I wish I still had that saddle. It was awesome (I'm not joking)
Old 01-23-06, 02:59 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If it ain't leather, it's not a saddle, it's just a seat.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 01-23-06, 06:35 PM
nothing: lasts forever

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
myself, and many other reasonable vegans that i know ride brooks saddles. why? because human rights still supercede animal rights. brooks saddles are made of a renewable resource. plastic, artificial, techy saddles are made from oil.

you can argue to high heaven about the sustainability of the current state of the leather industry, but it IS a renewable material. oil is not.

not that i expect you to agree. there's a broad spectrum of vegans out there.
Old 01-23-06, 09:03 PM
Long Live Long Rides

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, converted for touring/commuting. 1984 Raleigh Team USA road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's friggin hillarious! I tried two different Brooks saddles. Both from new to 2000mi. I couldn't take it any more. I don't know why. They just didn't work out. I was one that found an Avocet touring on e-bay. I like it.

That said, I agree with all of the people who have and love the Brooks. I wish I could have found one that worked for me. Some day I'll try it again.

No complaints from using the Avocet. This one has over 50K on it.
Old 01-23-06, 10:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ink1373
myself, and many other reasonable vegans that i know ride brooks saddles. why? because human rights still supercede animal rights. brooks saddles are made of a renewable resource. plastic, artificial, techy saddles are made from oil.

you can argue to high heaven about the sustainability of the current state of the leather industry, but it IS a renewable material. oil is not.

not that i expect you to agree. there's a broad spectrum of vegans out there.

I'm a vegan who rides a Brooks. And you're right, there is a broad spectrum, and we change our location on it through our life. I also refused to buy a Brooks before I considered how the alternative, the plastic saddle, is produced.

But I don't see it as a matter of human versus nonhuman rights. Oil affects all the animals displaced and killed by wars, and it also plays a large role in the livestock industry. You're not escaping oil through leather, and the cattle industry is at the root of rainforest clearing, the production of methane, groundwater contamination, etc. And as a human, I believe my rights are violated by that, too, not just the wars and ecological impact of the oil economy. The cow and I have pretty similar interests, you know?

Both are not a perfect practice, but those are the available options. So, I figured, which one is going to last the longest? Brooks, hands down, and when it finally dies I can use that leather for something, or compost it.

I hope that helps the original poster. And if anybody tries to play the vegan police - there always is some self-appointed officer - it's very easy to explain.