Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Maserati MT-9

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Maserati MT-9

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-06, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

I just recently purchased a vintage Maserati MT-9 Bicycle. How could I resist? I own a 1980 Maserati Quattroporte, 1984 Lamborghini Jalpa, 1991 Alfa Romeo 164L and a 2004 Aprilia Futura, so how could I not have an Italian bike?

I did some searching on the Forum, and found that just like the Internet, information on the Maserati bikes are few and far between.

The bike is in very good shape. I'd say a "7" on a scale of 1 to 10. But, I'd like to restore it back to its glory.

Does anyone have any pictures that they can provide me with, that shows what these bikes look like when they were new? Or. a place where I could get more information on year of manufactuer?

Thanks so much!

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Maserati Bike.JPG (83.9 KB, 229 views)
Old 03-08-06, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Often, the best way to date vintage bicycles is via the date codes on components. The best reference on this is https://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm .

My guess is mid-1970s.
Old 03-10-06, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Have you seen what Sheldon Brown has to say?

Maserati

Ok, who isn't impressed with a bike bearing on of the great names of Italian automobile exotica? Most of the bicycles bearing this label were built by Fiorelli. There were many quality levels. Perhaps the best quality examples with N.R. parts might be worth around $1,200. Other lesser models have values based mostly on their parts value.
Old 03-10-06, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi, I have an mt-4, campy nouvo record, I believe its a '74. Good luck finding any info about it, I haven't found much. the mt-1 thru mt-4 were nice road racing quality bikes, while the mt-5 through mt-9 got a little cheaper. my dad is an exotic car mechanic and collector, alfa, ferrari... and he remembers some things about them from back then, but not much.
Old 03-11-06, 12:08 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a Maserati bike and a Maserati car... And ya know what? They were both JUNK. I say that lovingly of course. The overall appearance of oppulence was amazing on both, but upon close inspection... they both fell apart (literally).

Maseratis remind me of Fiats in fur coats on methamphetamines. They look beautiful and are really fast until you need a complete engine rebuild at 25K miles. The stick-shift actually pulled completely out of the transmission, into the air while I was driving mine. The guages would randomly shoot in all directions and lights would flicker on and off like UFO's were constantly overhead. Finally on the day I sold it, the new buyer pulled the e-Brake lever too hard, snapped the brake cable and the car rolled into a new Mercedes. I'm telling you..they are built with popsicle sticks and Elmer's glue by Chimpanzees.

The bikes...same thing. Mine looked to have been produced with care by Huffy.
Likes For M-theory:
Old 03-11-06, 11:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by M-theory
I had a Maserati bike and a Maserati car... And ya know what? They were both JUNK. I say that lovingly of course. The overall appearance of oppulence was amazing on both, but upon close inspection... they both fell apart (literally).

Maseratis remind me of Fiats in fur coats on methamphetamines. They look beautiful and are really fast until you need a complete engine rebuild at 25K miles. The stick-shift actually pulled completely out of the transmission, into the air while I was driving mine. The guages would randomly shoot in all directions and lights would flicker on and off like UFO's were constantly overhead. Finally on the day I sold it, the new buyer pulled the e-Brake lever too hard, snapped the brake cable and the car rolled into a new Mercedes. I'm telling you..they are built with popsicle sticks and Elmer's glue by Chimpanzees.

The bikes...same thing. Mine looked to have been produced with care by Huffy.
Which models?
The maserati bicycles weren't built by maserati anyway, I think olmo built the high end frames. As for the cars, any maserati built after '75 or so is a pos i'm sure.
Old 03-14-06, 02:47 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcoine
Which models?
The maserati bicycles weren't built by maserati anyway, I think olmo built the high end frames. As for the cars, any maserati built after '75 or so is a pos i'm sure.

I think I had the Fiorelli Maserati bike... lots of chrome and cool metalic green paint *but* stamped dropouts, iron headset, cottered cranks, lead-pipe tubing, bla, bla, bla. Funny though- the damn frame alone sold on eBay for almost $200! What a difference a name makes.

The car was an '85 Biturbo (of course) and it was just silly. Beautiful lines thanks to Bertone but then the monekeys at Maserati went and built it (apparantly while huffing glue). It was right up there quality-wise with an '83 Yugo.

Vive Italia!
Old 03-14-06, 02:43 PM
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I have only a minor recollection of Maserati bikes.

In the summer of 74, the shop I worked in was in financial trouble. Some due to slow sales, others due to owners personal issues. The shop, before my arrival, sold Follis, then switched to Gitane. As the owner's problems worsened, that supply got cut off. He managed to finagle a loan and ordered a bunch of Maserati bikes. He waited weeks for the loan and the bikes, I waited for a paycheck. The loan came through, the bikes came in and I got a paycheck. I also got let go! I never did raise a wrench to, or even see, a Maserati.

That was the only time I ever heard of them. The shop folded about 6 months later.
Old 06-27-06, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a Maserati bike I bought new in Florida in 1973. I do not know the model. It is made with Columbus tubing, has braze on shifters, & came with full Campy Record. I trained & raced on it for about five years before upgrading to something newer. Like most people, I can find very little info about Maserati bikes.
Old 06-27-06, 04:53 PM
Knows Bigfoot's Momma

Bikes: yeah; got a couple...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you seen these Maserati brochure scans...? https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/maserati/

BTW, I used to have an MT-2 with a complete '74 dated Record group. The frame was decent, but no Masi. I sold the frame & kept the group... too big for me anyway..
Old 06-26-17, 09:02 AM

Bikes: Cinelli SC 1971, Daccordi 1985

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
There has been quite some talk about Maserati bikes recently. Please read this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...-maserati.html

Here is an eBay listing with the high end model:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/172742809668
Old 12-26-20, 09:40 AM
Randi F

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jalpa_Mike
Hello,

I just recently purchased a vintage Maserati MT-9 Bicycle. How could I resist? I own a 1980 Maserati Quattroporte, 1984 Lamborghini Jalpa, 1991 Alfa Romeo 164L and a 2004 Aprilia Futura, so how could I not have an Italian bike?

I did some searching on the Forum, and found that just like the Internet, information on the Maserati bikes are few and far between.

The bike is in very good shape. I'd say a "7" on a scale of 1 to 10. But, I'd like to restore it back to its glory.

Does anyone have any pictures that they can provide me with, that shows what these bikes look like when they were new? Or. a place where I could get more information on year of manufactuer?

Thanks so much!

Mike
I own an original. My dad gave it to me in either 1973 or 1974. He is an accountant. One of his clients was an importer of foreign cars. During the big bike craze of the early 1970's he imported 6 Maserati MT-9's. He couldn't sell them and my father ended up buying three. Mine was far and away the most loved and used. It went everywhere with me and still resides in my basement. The parts on it are all original although i bent a rim in a front tire blowout. I have never weighed it but it's pretty heavy, especially compared to the full carbon bikes i now own. The bike is filthy dirty but i can still send photos if you're interested.
Old 12-26-20, 09:44 AM
Randi F

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW- mine is the same color.
Old 12-26-20, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,339 Times in 2,179 Posts
-----

dating -

two possible spots to check for a marking:

a) underside of saddle

b) end of the 3TTT Tourist handlebar, beneath the cap

cycle appears ca. 1973-74

-----
Old 12-26-20, 01:08 PM

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
I built up a Maserati several years ago. I did like the bike, even though it was not a top of the line model. Of course, I am a sucker for chrome socks and head tube lugs...