Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fuji Monterey 10 Speed Road Bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-06, 09:15 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts

On one of my recent garage sale tours, I picked up a filthy, old, Fuji Monterey classic 10 speed. The bike was covered with brown rust and I kicked myself all the way home for buying this thing. When I wiped off the dust from the frame, I noticed all the 'rust' came off with the cleaning rag. It wasn't rust that covered this bike, it was sawdust turned brown that apparently helped prevent rust. Incredibly, when I removed the sawdust, the bike underneath came up a shiny black bike with chrome rims. I always wanted a black 10 speed and now I finally obtained one. The tires, rim tape and deraileur cable had to be replaced. But the bike polished up very nicely, with very few scratches on the frame. I've taken it out for a few rides. This is not the best handling bike, to be honest, it's a little clumsy. I'm betting T-Mar is going to confirm that the Monterey was a low end Fuji, possibly an entry level bike. The chrome, steel handlebars and stem shifters also indicate low end. But its all original including the seat and it looks great!! The components date this bike as a 1982 model. I'm having a little fun with it for now. Too bad this wasn't a high end bike, but I didn't pay much for it so I'm real happy with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Fuji M.jpg (94.9 KB, 700 views)
Fuji M front.jpg (95.5 KB, 362 views)
Fuji M side.jpg (96.9 KB, 384 views)
Fuji Monterey.JPG (60.8 KB, 381 views)
Fuji Monterey back.JPG (54.0 KB, 260 views)
Fuji Monterey front.JPG (65.2 KB, 296 views)
Fuji Monterey rear.JPG (54.0 KB, 256 views)
Old 06-22-06, 12:20 AM
Yet another vegan biker

Bikes: Sakae Prism, Vintage Fuji bike(S), too many bikes, one from scratch bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
steel handlebars
Are they Nitto Olympiade chromed steel bars? I love the set I have off an old mid-range Fuji.

(((((((on Edit)))))))))))

On second look, those bars look more like Sakae Champions. They have a chromed sleeve and zinc-plated bars.

The Monterey is a midrange below Sagres. I think they were with Fuji's proprietary Valite tubing.

It ought to be, and looks to be, a decent riding bike.
Old 06-22-06, 07:21 AM

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What was the deal with the model name, "Monterey?" I saw another brand bike recently, also called a "Monterey," from roughly the same period. Was this a reference to the town in California, or to the Spanish word, "King of the Mountain?" Seems like a strange one to be recycled.
Old 06-22-06, 05:23 PM
Bike Junkie

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Originally Posted by silversmith
Are they Nitto Olympiade chromed steel bars? I love the set I have off an old mid-range Fuji.

(((((((on Edit)))))))))))

On second look, those bars look more like Sakae Champions. They have a chromed sleeve and zinc-plated bars.

The Monterey is a midrange below Sagres. I think they were with Fuji's proprietary Valite tubing.

It ought to be, and looks to be, a decent riding bike.
Your first hunch was very close silversmith, the bars are Nitto B111. The stem is Nitto alloy. You were right about the tubing too, it's butted Valite 414. For the rest of the components, the rear Deraileur is a Suntour AR, the stem shifters are Suntour, the crank is a Sugino, can't find the model, the rims are UKAIRM (I think, hard to read). The steel rims may not be desirable, but these are in nearly new condition, no pitting bright and shiny. The brakes system is all Dia-Compe including the suicide bars. One thing I don't understand. I find it hard to believe that FUJI made a 10-speed in 1982 while other brands were turning out 12 speeds. I find it more likely that I've got the date wrong, but the letters on both deraileurs line up with 1982. If anyone can shed light on this I would appreciate it.
Old 06-22-06, 05:25 PM
Bike Junkie

Originally Posted by peripatetic
What was the deal with the model name, "Monterey?" I saw another brand bike recently, also called a "Monterey," from roughly the same period. Was this a reference to the town in California, or to the Spanish word, "King of the Mountain?" Seems like a strange one to be recycled.
Sorry, can't help. I know that Fuji kept the name and made hybrid bikes that were quite popular with the name Monterey. I'm sure they are referring to the town in California. Or maybe they were referring to the 1956 Mercury 4 door hardtop? ............NAH!
Old 06-23-06, 12:02 AM
Yet another vegan biker

Bikes: Sakae Prism, Vintage Fuji bike(S), too many bikes, one from scratch bike.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Roccobike,

I shoulda stuck with my first thought. And those Nitto steel bars are good steel bars.

I also like the AR derailleurs. I have one on my Fuji 12 speed and I even have one on my Litage!

https://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j7.../bluffbike.jpg
Old 06-23-06, 03:36 PM
Bike Junkie

Originally Posted by silversmith
Nice Ride silversmith. Are those 700c rims? If yes, what kind?
Old 06-23-06, 09:10 PM
Yet another vegan biker

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks Roccobike.

Yes, they are 700c Sun M13II's, 18mm simple box rims with 36 eyeleted holes laced 3x to Shimano 2200 hubs.

They've held up pretty well to my 215-220 lbs.
Old 10-29-06, 07:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Fuji Monterey Bike

I recently purchased a Fuji Monterey on Ebay identical to the one you have posted on your thread. I was skeptical about purchasing it since I could not find alot of information on the internet. I was familiar with the outstanding craftsmanship of Fuji bikes so I went ahead and bought it at a fairly reasonable price I thought. I am waiting for it to come in and I was wondering since you have owned your bike for some time now would you care to shed some light on what you think of it as far as ride, comfort and dependability goes. Also would you have any idea what these bikes sold for new and were you able to pinpoint the year in which yours was made? Thanks
Old 11-05-06, 11:26 AM
Bike Junkie

Originally Posted by 2Wheeling
I recently purchased a Fuji Monterey on Ebay identical to the one you have posted on your thread. I was skeptical about purchasing it since I could not find alot of information on the internet. I was familiar with the outstanding craftsmanship of Fuji bikes so I went ahead and bought it at a fairly reasonable price I thought. I am waiting for it to come in and I was wondering since you have owned your bike for some time now would you care to shed some light on what you think of it as far as ride, comfort and dependability goes. Also would you have any idea what these bikes sold for new and were you able to pinpoint the year in which yours was made? Thanks
First, I apologize for not posting earlier, but I was not checking the Vintage forum every day and missed your post.
I find the Fuji Monterey to be very comfortable. The Valite tubing is flexible for a mid range, early, 10speed bike. As for the fit and finish, I think you are correct Fuji is a class act that made and makes very nice bikes especially their road bikes. As for dependability, what can I say, it's a rock, no problems at all. Those old Suntour deraileurs are super reliable and the gears and chain mesh very nicely on my bike.
As I said previously, the only drawback this bike has is handling. I've experimented with different wheels. I tried changing those 27" chrome rims with alloy, 700C rims with 28mm tires and a six speed freewheel. The Monterey was a different bike with that change. It was fast, handled well, but not quite as smooth a ride. And, good news, the brakes on the Monterey can be adjusted to operate with 700C rims.
I returned the chrome rims to my bike because I have other road bikes and I'm keeping this Fuji as a sort of all original, vintage bike. I'm lucky to have enough space to do that. However, I did change the 27" tires to Kenda high pressure (90 psi) tires. With all due respect to those who have posted not to inflate non-hooked bead rims above 75psi, I went with the manufacturers recommended pressure of 90 psi and have had no problems. This tire change also improved the handling a little bit.
The only other changes I would consider for this bike is changing out those chrome bars for a nice set of Nitto or Champion alloy bars that are period correct along with aero brake levers (that are not period correct) to improve braking. By the way, you may want to consider changing the brake pads. If you can't find the original, rectangle type pads, try All Star Bikes in Cary, NC. They sell them for cheap and I'm sure they'll mail you a set for a reasonable handling charge if you call them. Best of luck 2Wheeling, enjoying your Fuji Monterey.
Old 11-05-06, 03:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

Sure do appreciate the information!!! Nice to find fellow cyclists that share the same views in regards to these older vintage bikes.
Old 11-05-06, 03:27 PM
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I also ride a couple of old Fujis -- as do others on this forum. I picked up a Fuji Supreme, also made with VALite tubing, for $75. It was in excellent condition and aside from replacing the saddle, the bar tape, the brake pads, and the tires, I've had to do nothing to it. It is a beautiful bike and I have no problems keeping up with anyone on their $1500+ road bikes. I think Fujis are about the best value on the used market. They are plentiful, cheap, and well made.

Consider getting Kool-Stop Continental brake pads (the salmon colored ones). That improved my braking 100%.
Old 11-05-06, 05:41 PM
Bike Junkie

Originally Posted by reverborama
Consider getting Kool-Stop Continental brake pads (the salmon colored ones). That improved my braking 100%.
+1 on the Koolstop pads, much better than the original pads.
Old 11-05-06, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Fuji Regis, a model that is more difficult to find information about than the Monterey or Del Rey. Here's a pic: https://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5...1600/regis.jpg

I've since changed out man of the components to make it a trusty all-around city bike. I love the frame.

Does anyone know of any info on the different varieties of VALite tubing? Mine is 414 also, and I'm curious where that fits in. I'm guessing it's lower-end stuff.
Old 04-08-07, 03:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are the orignal rim sizes for the Monterey? 700c or something different? I picked one up on eBay and the seller didn't know and I haven't found any information on the web.
Old 04-08-07, 03:14 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I can not be definitive, but that doesn't usually stop me.

Since it had steel rims, I would say it probably came with 27" wheels. I don't recall ever seeing 700c steel rims.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 06-08-07, 06:05 AM

Bikes: 90s Gios Compact Pro. 80s Battaglin w/ Dura Ace 7400s. 70s Medici Pro Strada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also picked up a fuji monterey from a bike sale at our local St. Vincent's for $35. It took me a while to find out what it was. Its a larger bike than yours.
There are a few other differences too. I have center-pull calipers brakes on both front and back and running suntour derailleurs all around.

My plan is to strip the bike down and go single speed with it. Then in the fall, work on the frame.

Old 08-29-07, 05:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a run down (rain soaked for years) Monterey and the threads have got me excited - I thank anyone with a Fuji advertorial or documentation on this machine.
Old 12-12-08, 05:01 PM
Arsehole

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Add me to the list of those with an old 10 speed Monterey....
Old 12-13-08, 08:05 PM

Bikes: Fuji S-12s, Trek Navigator 200, Dahon Vitesse D7, Raleigh Sprite Touring ('70's)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is a link to your bike:
https://www.classicfuji.com/Monterey_1982_Page.htm

This is the bike I came across two weeks ago and has kept me busy in my workshop virtually every night since. 18 speed. Rides nicely, but I cannot deal with the downtube shifters, so I am converting to bar ends.

https://www.classicfuji.com/S12-SMixte_1982_Page.htm

Fuji put out a lot of bikes with seemingly minor changes to differentiate some of them. For instance, in the same 'deal', I also got a Fuji Berkeley, which specs out almost identical to your Monterey (exception being crank metal).
Old 12-13-08, 09:08 PM

Bikes: 2 trek road bikes, and some vintage english lightweights

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up a Fuji Royale 2 on CL the other weekend for 25 bucks....replaced the tubes, and retaped the bars, put another seat on it and spent 3 hrs cleaning it all up. I just did get a set of tan brake hoods for it yesterday....I am going to order a few sets of gumwalls after the holidays, and replace the ones on it and my trek 700.......all in all though its a sweet ride for 25 bucks....it has anodized aluminum rims......don't know if its because its a slightly higher end bike or what.....
Attached Images
fuji royale 2 004.jpg (101.2 KB, 206 views)
Old 12-13-08, 11:07 PM

Bikes: Fuji S-12s, Trek Navigator 200, Dahon Vitesse D7, Raleigh Sprite Touring ('70's)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Go to
https://www.classicfuji.com/1982_16_R...Mixte_Page.htm

Basically looks spec-wise to be my S12 with a double rather than triple chainring.

Where did you get the gum brake hoods?
Old 12-14-08, 12:14 AM

Bikes: 2 trek road bikes, and some vintage english lightweights

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mine is a 83 its the oak green color .....they aren't gum, they are tan cane creek generic replacements.....they do look good though for 10 bucks a set.....local place ordered them for me
Old 12-14-08, 12:30 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibber
Thanks for the link. That's an amazing site. If only we had comparable sites for other vintage bikes-- it would make it so much easier to identify and/or restore them.
Old 12-14-08, 08:36 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You are most welcome. I got there from www.velobase.com which is also rich in historical data.

My bike is actually an '81, but the page for that year lacks specifics on the buildup components on the page itself. They are all at the end in a master table.

Strange thing that I found on the classicfuji site. My browser would not allow cut and past to add the frames found there to a .ppt file that I was making to record details to aid my restoration.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.