Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Best bike repair book?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Best bike repair book?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-06, 06:26 PM

Bikes: Cannondale ST600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best bike repair book?

I'm wondering if anyone here has a recommendation for a good bike repair book for road bikes for an experienced rider, but inexperienced repair guy.
Old 07-17-06, 06:40 PM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance. I have heard nothing but good things about Zinn Maintenance books. I'm lucky in that I'm mechanically inclined, have been since I was very young, but I've found the Park Tool website and also Sheldon Brown's website to be very helpful. As are the people who frequent Bike Forums.
Old 07-17-06, 06:47 PM
LeMond Lives!

Bikes: In 1963 my sister taught me to ride on her girl’s frame (no wonder I shave my legs) Schwinn it was blue and it weighted a billion pounds. – Gone, 2nd bike - a Schwinn Colligate (Gold) 5 speed – Traded in, 3rd bike – 1971 Schwinn Continental (Maro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best manual is Barnett's. Not cheap but the best. Check lists so you can keep track of what you are doing.
Old 07-18-06, 09:23 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Dusk
Best manual is Barnett's. Not cheap but the best. Check lists so you can keep track of what you are doing.
Agree that Barnettt's is the best and it's the major reference work for professional shop-level mechanics but it's really overkill for a new mechanic. Zinn is good as is Bicycling Magazine's repair manual.

Park's web site is an excellent resource as is Sheldon Brown's.
Old 07-18-06, 10:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll order Zinn's. I'm heading off on a bike trip along the Oregon coast in September. Just thought I should have a repair manual along with me. Art
Old 07-18-06, 01:52 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by Art Shotwell
Thanks for the tips. I think I'll order Zinn's. I'm heading off on a bike trip along the Oregon coast in September. Just thought I should have a repair manual along with me. Art
Uh, the time to read the manual is BEFORE the trip. The side of the road with a broken bike is a poor place to study.
Old 07-18-06, 02:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're certainly right on that note. I do know a little about bike maintenance having been a rider for, oh, 30 years. And, my ride isn't for another two months. So, my intent was to do a little reading, learn the specifics that affect my bike, talk to the LBS if needed, and take the book along for the trip.
Old 07-18-06, 02:41 PM

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Agree that Barnettt's is the best and it's the major reference work for professional shop-level mechanics but it's really overkill for a new mechanic. Zinn is good as is Bicycling Magazine's repair manual.

Park's web site is an excellent resource as is Sheldon Brown's.
Speaking of Zinn, I noticed that his road bike maintenance book is now into the 2nd edition. Does anyone have a list of what's changed? I noticed that he added a bunch of stuff on cantilever brakes but I don't know if it's worth upgrading if you already have the 1st ed.
Old 07-18-06, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Metaluna
Speaking of Zinn, I noticed that his road bike maintenance book is now into the 2nd edition. Does anyone have a list of what's changed? I noticed that he added a bunch of stuff on cantilever brakes but I don't know if it's worth upgrading if you already have the 1st ed.
Which manual has changed, the MTB or the road version?
Old 07-19-06, 06:41 AM

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Which manual has changed, the MTB or the road version?
It's the road version. I don't know if the MTB one has been updated lately.

P.S. I just picked up Todd Downs' book (the one from Bicycling magazine) and I really like it (I confess, I'm a book collector). Great pictures and very good explanations. From the sections I've read so far I think this is a better book for a beginner than Zinn's, IMHO.
Old 07-19-06, 07:06 AM
is slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both the mtb and road versions of Zinn had new editions come out.
Old 07-19-06, 07:17 AM
Pedaling Backwards

Bikes: '04 Cannondale F300, '92 Park Pre Rigid MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been looking at a couple of these today. I noticed that Zinn has two (Road Bike and Moutain Bike). I only have a mountain bike now, but eventually I want to get a road bike for commuting purposes. That'd leave me with getting two books.

Then I saw the book by Todd Downs, which states it is Road and Mountain Bikes in one book.

I ride a lot, but I'm a complete newbie when it comes to bicycle repairs (I can change tires... :b)

Would it be worth getting the two books vs the one book with both bike types?
Old 07-19-06, 07:35 AM

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Try your library or a used book store for simple book and get the Zinn books when you find that the library books are missing something. The library books will buy you some time and enable you to see what you want in a repair book.
Old 07-19-06, 07:46 AM
we are 138

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
www.sheldonbrown.com
www.parktool.com/repair
https://bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10

all I've ever used/needed, plus a little common sense.
Old 07-19-06, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Metaluna
I just picked up Todd Downs' book (the one from Bicycling magazine) and I really like it (I confess, I'm a book collector). Great pictures and very good explanations. From the sections I've read so far I think this is a better book for a beginner than Zinn's, IMHO.
I agree. The Bicycling manual is aimed at the really inexperienced mechanic and is a better primer. Zinn requires at least a small amount of prior knowledge to get the most out of it.

As dreadful as the magazine is, their repair book is pretty good.
Old 07-19-06, 10:08 AM
is slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_H
I've been looking at a couple of these today. I noticed that Zinn has two (Road Bike and Moutain Bike). I only have a mountain bike now, but eventually I want to get a road bike for commuting purposes. That'd leave me with getting two books.

Then I saw the book by Todd Downs, which states it is Road and Mountain Bikes in one book.

I ride a lot, but I'm a complete newbie when it comes to bicycle repairs (I can change tires... :b)

Would it be worth getting the two books vs the one book with both bike types?
Yes it would be worth getting two, in my opinion (speaking as someone who has all three of the books you mention). The Zinn books are able to go into further detail regarding the various brake systems, suspension, etc, since they're not limited to cramming everything into one book.
Old 07-19-06, 11:57 AM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
There are aspects of my Felt 'flatbar roadbike' that are not covered in Zinn's roadbike book, but are focused on more in his mtn bike book (*&^%&^ mini-V *&*^*&# brakes). I have both of his books and like them, but have to say I get more out of talking to (more or less) knowledgeable people as well as just trying to puzzle out mechanisms. w/o people to talk to/bounce things off of (in real life or online), the books (or websites) aren't as helpful to me if I'm missing something that seems like it should be obvious to the author but isn't to me... (I'm still wondering if it would be better to have a continuous/frictional shifter for my front derailer than that freaking indexed thing).
Old 07-19-06, 06:03 PM
Pedaling Backwards

Bikes: '04 Cannondale F300, '92 Park Pre Rigid MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips all. I ended up buying the two Zinn books, seeing as how they were free (gift cert for birthday). Hopefully my bike wont fall apart on me after my repairs