Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Pedestrian killed by cyclist

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 08-29-06, 09:35 AM
Arrgghh me hearties!

Bikes: Thorn Brevet, Felt, Europa, plus a million pieces of bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

From The Age
https://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...816899920.html

Pedalling for dear life in running of the bikes
Simon Johanson
August 30, 2006

EYEWITNESS

THEY don't call it the "Hell Ride" for nothing. A pack of cyclists, up to 200 strong, sweeps down Beach Road from Black Rock to Mount Eliza and back every Saturday morning.

They ride at a furious pace, about 40 km/h, two or three abreast, all of them trying to keep pace with the rider in front.

When a pedestrian stepped into the road and was knocked down by a cyclist last weekend, the Hell Ride more than earned its moniker. It was too big, too fast and too dangerous. I know, I was there.

Having recently taken up road cycling, I was returning from an early morning ride to Frankston — my second ride on that route — when I was swept up by the Hell Ride bunch.

It's easy to get caught in the pace and energy of the ride. Two hundred cyclists at speed behave a bit like running cattle, swerving around obstacles and pushing hard to maintain a flow and momentum up hills and around corners that too often appears unstoppable.

The instant the pedestrian lights near Naples Road in Mentone changed with half the cyclists still riding through, the scene was set for disaster.

On my bike near the kerb, approaching the lights at the bottom of a dip in the road,

I watched them change and braked hard. There were cries of "slowing" and "lights" from several riders, but it wasn't enough to stop the momentum.

I saw an elderly man standing near the lights and then, as other riders swept around me, lost sight of him. When I pulled up and looked to my right there was a jumble of riders, some still moving through the lights. Several people were on the ground.

It was a scene any rider dreads. As a couple of the riders picked themselves up off the road, I saw the man lying on the tarmac, not moving. One rider had hit him and the following rider hit the cyclist in front.

Another bystander and I rushed to the man's side. He was conscious but not responding to questions. It's a cliche, but in moments like that, time slows down. The ambulance seemed to take forever to arrive as we nursed the elderly man as best we could, trying to keep him warm and stop him moving.

Other riders pulled up to help, including a casualty doctor and nurse. He was taken to hospital where died yesterday morning.

Can you apportion blame? It could have been any rider in the bunch who came down that hill who ran into the man. I would hate to be in the shoes of that rider. Many were going too fast and riding too close together, but that's the nature of cycling in a group. I, for one, won't be riding that road again.

EDIT: Other articles provide more info
https://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...96-661,00.html
Old 08-29-06, 11:50 AM
nm+
Ultra-clydesdale

Bikes: Titus Racer-X AL/Trek 520(RIP)/Trek 930

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=223525