Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Caad8 Vs Caad9

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Caad8 Vs Caad9

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-06, 08:54 PM
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Caad8 Vs Caad9

So now that CAAD9 is out. What is the verdict? Is it same quality/weight as CAAD8, upgrade or a downgrade? Looks like CAAD9 has almost the same geometry. Except headtube is .6 longer.
Old 10-19-06, 09:01 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure that one's better than the other. I know the 9's supposed to be stiffer in some areas while being more forgiving in others, not sure how much of that is marketing hype though. Ride 'em both and post the results!
Old 10-20-06, 08:57 AM
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
I am sure other people rode on both or read reviews somewhere. I won't be able to ride CAAD9 for a while, by that time I will probably forget how my CAAD8 felt. Anyone?
Old 10-20-06, 09:07 AM
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I'll be getting a caad9 pretty soon, I'll post a comparison between it and my old caad8 when I can.
Old 10-20-06, 12:29 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a nos Si Caad7 (not labeled rX00, it was a team frame--so just caad7 designation)

caad7 is good, no? I heard the only one to avoid was caad6

I also read (surprisingly on wikipedia--not usually where I find bike info) that the caad7 and caad8 frames were a new direction for Cannondale, that they're supposed to be more comfortable--while still stiff, without being "bone-jarring"

apparently the 7 and 8 moved away from a strict dependence on huge os tubes

please correct me if I'm wrong--cuz' I might be (I don't know anything about C'Dale frames--I just want to experiment with some different geo and some stiffer frames)

Last edited by Serpico; 10-20-06 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-20-06, 02:39 PM
It is what it is

Bikes: Trek 1500 and Trek 950

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, my LBS hasn't ordered any CAAD9 yet. I'm eagerly awaiting the opportunity to ride one. I'm going to Arizona next week, and I might pop in the local C'Dale stores there to see if they've got one I can ride.
Old 10-20-06, 06:52 PM
Mitcholo

Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
So now that CAAD9 is out. What is the verdict? Is it same quality/weight as CAAD8, upgrade or a downgrade? Looks like CAAD9 has almost the same geometry. Except headtube is .6 longer.
Cannondale wouldn't release a successor to thr CAAD8 unless it was better. But from what I hear, the difference is minimal, but still an upgrade. I think the aluminum in thew joints from the DT to the HT and TT to HT got wider, while keeping the same tube shape. Just go to Cannondale's website and goof your way around until you can find it.
Old 10-20-06, 09:38 PM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 9 with full Ultrega

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have ridden the CAAD 9 on a 25 mile test ride from my LBS and it is similar to the CAAD 8 with the only exception that the front end seemed stiffer, it seemed to me that it tracked better in turns than the CAAD 8, it was every bit as comfortable and responsive as the CAAD 8. I asked the shop folks and they said that the front end stiffness is where Cannondale was focusing on. Essentially the Pro-teams that Cannondale sponsers, commented that they wanted a stiffer front end. They als commented to me that the Cannondale sponsored teams tend to push the bikes closer to the edge of the bicycle envelope than the average weekend rider and that the oversize heat tube is more suited for those riders that tend to be aggresive.

From my point of view, it rode like a CAAD 8 with the only exception that it tracked through corners better. I could ride it all day at a comfortable 20 to 22 mph all day. I think it is a great bike.

The bike I rode had 105 shifters, ultregra rear derailer and front drailer, and shimano 560 wheels and it was valued at $1500.