Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Vanilla Bikes - whaddya think, builders?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-06, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A major poostorm has erupted in the SSFG forum (surprise, surprise...) as a result of a posting about some new bike pics on the Vanilla Cycles website. Some think Vanillas are gaudy, overpriced showpieces, while others say they're lovely, innovative, superfine racing machines. Much venom spit over the brazed bar/stem combo, pricing, and wait time.

So, framebuilders, please toss in your .02.

BTW, I'm a fence straddler. I think Vanillas, while his frames are overpriced compared to absolute legends ($2150 for a basic road frame and fork, no fancy lugs or paint) and sometimes precious-seeming (though that may be because the photography is pretty damn good), I think Sascha is phenomenally skilled for such a young age, and has exquisite taste.

I also think the over-the-top tastes of his customers may force him in directions that simply aren't my style. Oh, and I love the trike.
Old 11-16-06, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think handmade frames are underpriced as it is. the market is saturated with builders who are willing to undercut to build a name while paying their bills with a non-framebuilding full-time gig.

sasha's sense of style and aesthetic are second to none and he deserves every penny he earns.
Old 11-17-06, 02:39 AM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well the one jab one can make about really vintage looking stuff is it's all copying existing styles, but he has certainly made his own statement within the form. I don't think his stuff is expensive, who is making plumbers wages in this business. All those micro details take a huge amount of time.
Old 11-17-06, 08:38 AM
hell's angels h/q e3st ny

Bikes: surly steamroller, independent fabrication titanium club racer, iro jamie roy--44/16, independent fabrication steel crown jewel--47/17, surly karate. monkey (rohloff speed hub), unicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vanilla's are sex. let a thousand flowers bloom.
Old 11-17-06, 09:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vanilla's are worth it- the workmanship and attention to detail leave me inspired and awed at the same time.
Old 11-17-06, 11:06 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by potus
I think handmade frames are underpriced as it is.
You may be right about that. By "overpriced" I mean that Sascha's bikes are priced similarly to Kellogg, Nagasawa, Kirk, Mooney or Goodrich, all of whom have impeccable credentials and decades of experience, not to mentions mind-blowing talent.

Vanillas are significantly more than Kalavinka, Yamaguchi (the best deal around?), Davidson, Kvale, and loads of other asskicking builders.

I think he builds awesome bikes. I also think much of the premium paid for a "typical" Vanilla comes from all the fancy extras for which he can charge whatever he pleases, so long as customers are hungry. That said, I don't think Vanilla would crack my top 15 list of custom steel, if price wre a consideration.
Old 11-19-06, 05:15 AM
Industry Maven

Bikes: Thylacines...only Thylacines.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure what the question is. Vanillas are certainly well made, well crafted 'functional art'; price is dictated largely by market forces, and the people who buy them can a) afford them, and b) like what they bring to the table.

Variety is the spice of life, so if someone doesn't like brand A and prefers brand B for whatever reason, then great. Buy brand B.

Sacha by no means has a monopoly on stainless steel, but as I've seen it happen so many times on Internet BBS', every month or so there's a new 'Brand of The Month' or 'Lets Flame This Builder Month' and next month that will all change.
Old 11-28-06, 02:39 PM
fender bender

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exquisite work. Exceptional craftsmenship. Insane style. How can a product be overpriced if you have the consumers waiting to buy? There is nothing wrong with being appreciated through dollars. That being said, it isn't my style, but I certainly have to acknowledge his talent.
Old 11-29-06, 04:42 AM

Bikes: trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually went out and visited him over the summer, he does everything himself(minus painting, I think it is done over at acme).
Old 12-07-06, 12:53 PM
delete folders.

Bikes: YATTAY 29er, centurion IRONMAN, soon FitFLOW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anyone looking to buy a handbuilt frame should throw any idea of money out the window. I think people buying will be atracted to a certain builder over another for other reasons besides price.
plus, i think vannila may be my favorite.