Charity Events - Tour De Cure Madison
Bikeforums.net is a forum about nothing but bikes. Our community can help you find information about hard-to-find and localized information like bicycle tours, specialties like where in your area to have your recumbent bike serviced, or what are the best bicycle tires and seats for the activities you use your bike for.
04-10-07, 11:47 AM
Good day all.
I am participating in my fourth Tour de Cure in Madison WI next month. My lifetime goal is to raise $10,000. In the last three years, I raised approximately $700 each year. I'm still just $25 short of that goal for 2007. So if get just $5 from 5 viewers, I'll have reached my goal! I know you're out there.
Because there are so many rides in the Madison area, this ride suffers a little from lack of participation, and thus support (I also rode in Albany NY area which raised four times as much money overall).
Here's my link. Hope some of you might be able to participate or sponsor. If you want to sponsor me, look for the rider Caitlin (first name) after clicking the sponsor a rider button.
04-11-07, 11:18 AM
That is amazing. Is diabetes an issue in your family. It is in mine. I definitely want to get more active in diabetes charities, for kids and adults... Best of luck! i'll help if I can!
04-11-07, 11:27 AM
A friend of mine was diagnosed about seven years ago. It ran in his family and struck hard (he was 29 at the time). He is keeping it stabilized with some medication and exercise, but it certainly had negative health consequences.
04-15-07, 05:52 PM
If anyone knows of training rides going on related to this ride, please let me know, or PM me. The ride is generally flat to the best of my recollection.
04-15-07, 10:02 PM
I'm assuming you're female based on your name..I belong to Capitol Velo Club here in Madison. You can come to rides with us if you're looking for someone to ride with? Members of the club do many charity rides- I do the MS150 from Milwaukee to Madison every year. Not sure if anyone is doing the Tour de Cure or not though. Good luck! www.capitolveloclub.com (http://www.capitolveloclub.com) if you want more info. You can show up to rides and join later if you're interested. :)
05-01-07, 01:07 PM
couple of questions
1. do you have to be part of a "team" or can you just show up w/ the $100 and join the ride?
2. How hilly is the course---I know the link says "moderately hilly"---but that can mean a whole lotta things to different people. I'm thinking of doing this on a fixed gear if its not too hilly.
3. I'm assuming the miles listed are rountrip
1. I rode solo last year.
2. Very hilly last year, despite being called "moderately hilly" - if you're not used to riding the areas outside of Madison (it was north from AmFam's location on the NE side last year), drive the course first to get a feel for it. I saw lots of folks who had expected a fun ride walking a lot of hills and not looking terribly happy about it.
3. They should be, but if you're uncertain, call about it.
I'm glad to see people engaged with diabetes issues. I have had diabetes for about 17 years and I did the ride last year (when I lived in Madison). It's a good cause, but I really did not enjoy the event and wouldn't take part in it again.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.12 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.