Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Warning re. cheap clicker torque wrenches (eg. Harbor Freight)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-07, 12:07 AM

Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I always suspected there was something wrong with the cheap clicker torque wrench i purchased on eBay, one of those Harbor Freight types in the red plastic box.

My suspicions were confirmed when i rigged it up with another torque wrench, a big Craftsman beam type wrench. According to the beam wrench, the Harbor Freight wrench allowed torques almost 70% higher than the specified torque before clicking.

While the beam wrench is old, i'm assuming it is still fairly accurate, since it is so simple.

For example, when the Harbor Freight wrench was set to 120 in/lbs, it would not click until close to 200 in/lbs on the beam wrench's indicator.

I'm not sure if this thing can be calibrated, or if it's just a writeoff, but anyway, thought you guys might be interested and it might save someone some stripped bolts.
Old 04-16-07, 12:32 AM
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got 3/8" (not in red plastic box) that wouldn't release in one direction. So I returned it. The 1/4" I got (with red plastic box) works just fine.

Beam wrenches can go out of calibration. They depend on a material property that is not constant among all units, so there is a calibration setting. (Probably at the moving pivot in the case of the beam wrench.) Only testing against a known reference - e.g. freshly calibrated wrench, or moment arm setup - can show what's really going on.

- Will Rogers
Old 04-16-07, 06:42 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I believe beam wrenches can go out of calibration only if the pointer is bent so it doesn't indicate zero with no load. The properties of the beam itself won't change unless it is physically damaged. Clickers are routinely recalibrated against a beam wrench or a bench calibrator which is essentially a fixed mount beam wrench.
Old 04-16-07, 07:26 AM
Ho-Jahm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You also have to be careful with the click wrenches to do the torquing from the very end of the wrench, otherwise it's not an exact reading.

Never used the beam wrenches, so can't comment on them.
Old 04-16-07, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Beam wrenches will not go out of calibration, click wrenches will. If the pointer on the beam gets bent, just put it back to zero and you are set. I have both and I use the beam to check the accuracy of the click on a regular basis.

Clicks are nice for wrenching on cars, but for a bike, a beam is all you need and they are much cheaper.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 04-16-07, 08:08 AM

Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DMF
I got 3/8" (not in red plastic box) that wouldn't release in one direction. So I returned it. The 1/4" I got (with red plastic box) works just fine.
Hmm.. my wrench only releases in one direction, but i thought that was how it was designed (since usually you're only concerned about 'tightening' torque)... perhaps it's defective though.

As for the beam wrenches, i obviously don't know for sure, but it seems like common sense that they would be fairly stable in their adjustment (provided the pointer is pointing to the right spot, which is trivial to adjust). My beam wrench is basically a long thick bar of steel. I don't imagine the properties of that would change much under normal circumstances, barring corrosion or it being exposed to extreme temperatures. And since there is no adjustment possible, it would seem that if this type of wrench went out of adjustment often, one would have to keep throwing them out and buying new ones, which again, seems an unlikely scenario.

Last edited by robo; 04-16-07 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-16-07, 08:20 AM
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Could be. They are supposed to work in both directions just like a regular ratchet drive. That way you can torque reverse threaded fasteners. (You should never use a torque wrench to break a bolt loose, even if it does have a conveniently long handle.)

The way I checked it was to clamp the drive (the little square bit) into a vise and do a reality check in both directions.

Btw, I wasn't objecting to using a beam wrench as a reality check, as you did. But you can't use it a calibration reference. Drifting or not, who nows how well it was calibrated to begin with?

- Will Rogers
Old 04-16-07, 04:06 PM
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If there is doubt about the accuracy of a torque wrench, why not check it yourself? Torque is a force in pounds over a specified distance in feet or inches. Get a weight known to be ten pounds exactly and hang it from a horizontal bar ten inches long. Connect the torque wrench at the pivot point (zero inches) and pull until the ten pound weight begins to rise. The torque wrench should read 100 inch pounds. Even if a wrench is not designed for calibration, you should learn the factor by which to shift the readings given by the wrench for accurate results.