Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

2008 Kona Jake The Snake vs 2007 JTS

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-07, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just received the detailed specs for the upcoming 08 JTS and would like your opinion on which bike to buy.

I’ve test driven an 07 60cm and love it. Jake the Snake seems to be the right bike for me.

I can order an 07 JTS from my local dealer for 15% off list or $1150. This is a sweet deal on a great bike. I can also hold out till September and pay list price for whatever 08’s run.

I’ve compared the spec’s on both bikes and don’t see a compelling reason to wait for an 08.

Base on these specs, should I hold out for a few months longer for the 08’s?

THE DIFFERENCES….

FRAME

07 JTS
Easton Ultralight with Easton EC70X Carbon fork
08 JTS
Kona 7005 Aluminum Butted with Kona Carbon Cross fork

HANDLEBARS
07 JTS
Easton EA30 OS
08 JTS
FSA RD30 OS

STEM
07 JTS
Easton EA30 OS
08 JTS
FSA OS-190X

BRAKE LEVERS
07 JTS Shimano 105 with Tektro RX 2.0
08 JTS Shimano 105 with Tekto RL 721

FRONT & REAR HUBS, SPOKES
07 JTS
Shimano Deore Front, Shimano 105 10 Rear, 15g front and 14g rear stainless DT
08 JTS
Mavic Aksium Wheelset

TIRES
O7 JTS
Maxxis Locust CX
08 JTS
Maxxis Raze CX

RIMS
07 JTS
Mavic Open Sport
08 JTS
Mavic Aksium

SEATPOST
07 JTS
Easton EA30
08 JTS
FSA SL-280

Is the 08 an overall improvement over the 07? Why?

ps if you reply and want the scoop on other 08 Kona's let me know
Old 08-09-07, 12:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There look like quite a few differences there. Have Kona fallen out with Easton?
From frame to stem Easton have been replaced. FSA get the parts contract while Kona build the frame themselves. Seems to be a load of differences to me.
Can I ask - what measurments are you - height / inseam etc. I'm looking to get a JTS and I'm 6'2" 34'.
Old 08-09-07, 08:03 AM

Bikes: 2002 Rocky HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd go for the 07 to get the Easton frame and fork. The Aksium wheels are nicer, but not enough to justify going for the 08. Although, if you want a nicer looking bike I think the 08 is much more classy, I'm not a fan of the LOUD grean on the 07, and the Aksium wheels are very nice looking (you have to look closely to see that they are not Ksyrium SL). The 08 looks a lot like my 05 JtS which I love.

Kona's not the only manufacturer going away from Easton. Rocky Mountain has also started moving away from their long time relationship with Easton. I'm thinking there just wasn't enough (or any?) performance/weight advantage to the Easton tubes to justify the cost.
Old 08-09-07, 11:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too am not a big fan of the Neon Green JTS. At first I thought I could live with it but after seeing it again it didn't sit right with me. So I'm thinking of an 08 Major Jake. I can get one for $1,800 when it's avalible (Sept, Oct). I don't know for sure but I think it's a "world beater" out of the box bike for the price. I love the new green. The $700 price difference seems worth it (to me at least).

FRAME
Kona Scandium Race Butted
Easton Ultralight with Easton EC90X Carbon fork

F/D Shimano 105
R/D Shimano Ultegra

HANDLEBARS
FSA RD250 OS

STEM
FSA OS 150LX

BRAKE LEVERS
Shimano 105 w/Tektro RL 721

FRONT & REAR HUBS, SPOKES
Ksyrium Equipe Wheelset

TIRES
Maxxis Raze CX

RIMS
Ksyrium Equipe Wheelset

SEATPOST
FSA SL-250

HEADSET
FSA Orbit
Old 08-09-07, 11:42 AM

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Tricross Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am currently searching for a new bike. Some friends and research have lead me to the cyclocross style. I have discovered the Kona line and have only test-ridden the 07 Jake so far, but I really enjoyed the ride and want to try a JtS now, although the Jake is more in my price range ($800), and probably a better fit for my purposes (commuting around NYC 80-90%, weekend jaunts the rest of the time).

My question is, if I decide to purchase a Kona bike do I hold out for an 08 Jake or go with the 07 Jake? Is there any reason to wait, other than a new paint job?

Or will the differences pointed out above between the 07 JtS and 08 JtS bring the price point of the 08 JtS down closer to the $1000 range so I could then afford a JtS? The 07 JtS retails for $1350 at the LBS, $1000-$1100 would be easier to swallow. I really like the JtS (even though I haven't actually ridden one yet), but, again, I feel like it may be too much bike for my purposes...I still kinda want one though

Is there a spec comparison between 07 Jake and 08 Jake available also?

Thanks guys, I find this forum to be insanely helpful and informative. Thanks for everyone's insight.

My mountain bike was stolen almost 2 weeks ago. I was using it for my 14 mile r/t commute and riding around the city. I did not realize how slowly I was moving and how much more fun I could've been having until I test-rode the Jake (and also a Specialized Tricross...which is really nice too). Anyway, perhaps the bike theft was a blessing in disguise as I'm really enjoying learning about bikes now.

Adam

Last edited by adamcsmith; 08-09-07 at 11:44 AM. Reason: forgot some puncuation and comments
Old 08-09-07, 01:02 PM
Mmmmm potatoes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would get the 2007 version.
Old 08-11-07, 11:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Blownaway good to see you on here too! I opted for the 2008 jake. I like the new shifters a lot better then the 2007's and the new frame has that "tapered?" look like the JTS and MJ had in the 2007. Admittedly, I am sucker for the hottest latest. So when I found out the '08's were on their way I had to jump on it. I called Kona yesterday, they said at least for the jake, that I should see my bike by the 24th of AUG.
Old 08-20-07, 12:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up the 07 JTS. My LBS noted that the 08 JTS price had come down by $100 and was willing to give me the 07 for that price. I am looking forward to riding it!