Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

DEAN Bikes, What Do You Know About This Builder???

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-07, 10:57 PM

Bikes: Seven Cycles (Ti) Litespeed (Ti) Cannondale CAAD8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was surfing through for titanium frames and some how stumbled across this builder. How is the quality of their products? I have never heard of them at all. Their prices seem pretty fair for a custom titanium frame. This I know isn't a house hold name, that's probably why their prices are reasonable. Since have heard a lot mentioned in the past on workmanship on the custom frames, especially in the area of weld joints how are these on the weld joints on these frames? Are they pretty smooth nicely finished on the same level as Moots or Serotta? Serotta & Seven's are so proud of their names it's getting to the point where maybe they might be pricing themselves right out of the market. Any comments, knowledge or opinion would be appreciated.

https://www.deanbikes.com/menu.htm
Old 08-02-07, 11:08 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my coach has a dean ti bike and swears by it...he gives me heaps for my carbon over his ti..he has ridden all sorts of bikes from avanti,mercxx to now dean and he swears by his, says its fantastic..looks rather sweet with a set of es mavics on it too.
Old 08-03-07, 06:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DEAN are famous among mtb crowd
Old 08-03-07, 06:36 AM

Bikes: Cervelo, Pinarello, Specialized

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have seen them around these parts and they are a beautiful bike. Didn't know they were custom.
Old 08-03-07, 07:14 AM
granny ring grinder

Bikes: plethora of titae adding up to more than my car's worth.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dean is one of the most popular mtb Ti manufacturers. I have ogled my friend's dean ride for a long time and it is confirmed- It is a Ti masterpiece. Unfortunately, wait times are through the roof. It took my friend about 7 months from order to get his delivered.
Old 08-03-07, 07:41 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The bikes are very nice, but I hear a lot of grumbling about dealing with Dean during the ordering/construction phase.
Old 08-03-07, 10:10 AM

Bikes: Carbon Fuji, Cannondale Caad 8, Schwinn Homegrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife has a custom Dean bike made out of Columbus steel. We bought it from a buddy of mine who's had about 3 Dean bikes. It's a stiff and nice looking bike. I've considered having them build one for me but I hear gripes about leadtime on a new frame but its supposed to take a long time because its custom. The only other thing I can see is that the paint quality isn't the best in the world but who wants paint if you're ordering a Ti frame! The red paint on my wife's bike has faded somewhat as there wasn't any clear coat put on over the paint. Also, on the last frame my buddy ordered (whom we purchased my wife's bike from) Dean forgot to braze on the lugs for cable routing. He had to send the bike back to Dean and wait for them to finish it - so they can be lacking on attention to detail as well. Overall, they are very well respected bikes around these parts.

-Stephen
Old 08-03-07, 10:47 AM
Should be riding

Bikes: C-dale- moutain, Pedal Force RS- Campy Record, Quiring Ti XTR, Red line Monocog, S E F@r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems DEAN or Quiring are magical names around these parts. Very good reputations here.
Old 08-03-07, 12:06 PM
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I too am considering a Dean (the same model the OP posted, actually). I'd love to hear some more feedback.
Old 08-03-07, 12:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A guy I used to ride with had one, he loved it. It was a beautifully made bike, and he had no gripes about the ordering process. Took about six months from order to delivery, which I think is pretty standard for big-name custom builds.

One thing, though, if you want a Dean, I hope you like that logo. My friend's bike had the word "DEAN" on it in about 64 different places, everyone on the ride would kid him about it. "Hey, what kind of bike is that?"
Old 08-03-07, 08:03 PM
'07 Dean El Diente

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just ordered and received a Dean El Diente road bike. It took about 3 months from order to receipt. It's my first Ti bike, I like the ride.
Old 08-03-07, 09:40 PM

Bikes: Too many...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had 2. DEAN has actually been around quite a long time, one of the first companies to embrace ti in fact. I remember lusting after my pals Costanza for a good year back in the mid/late 90s before I got my first one. This is a pic of my old Vador, by far the most silky riding bike I've ever owned.

DEAN had a period of time where demand was greater than output and they had some CS issues but I've never had anything but great service, besides the prices are damn good for custom ti.
Old 08-04-07, 12:50 AM

Bikes: Madone, De Rosa, Langster, old Brit track iron

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had a Dean El Diente for a year and a half. Great Ti frame at a reasonable price. I think it's a fairly small shop so I've heard delays are common. As for the welds and finish, did I mention the great price? Not perfect but far from sloppy.
Old 08-04-07, 12:51 AM
Mad Scientist

Bikes: Dean TI fixie... Viner ProComp... NEXT pink sparkely!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i had a custom track bike built. it took Forever, but now i think it was worth the wait. The frame is awesome.

And if you don't like the decals... ask them to leave it blank, that is what i did.

Old 08-04-07, 01:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chzman
i had a custom track bike built. it took Forever, but now i think it was worth the wait. The frame is awesome.

And if you don't like the decals... ask them to leave it blank, that is what i did.

god I love this bike. Have you considered removing the ZIPP decals for a super stealth look?
Old 08-04-07, 05:42 AM

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Are you posting pictures of my trackbike again chzman?

I love that bike. Can you post details of the size angles etc please?
Old 08-05-07, 10:37 AM
Mad Scientist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by classic1
Are you posting pictures of my trackbike again chzman?

I love that bike. Can you post details of the size angles etc please?
thanks for the kind words.

well... your bike has 56cm ST, 56.5cm TT, 74.5deg ST and HT, the BB was raised 5mm, 1 1/8in headset... and thats about it.

I think the Zipp decals are under a clear coat, so I didn't want to mess with the integrity of the carbon. So they stay, and I kind of like them.
Old 08-05-07, 04:35 PM

Bikes: Seven Cycles (Ti) Litespeed (Ti) Cannondale CAAD8

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I said earlier, one of the importance would be the weld joints, how smooth the welds are, this is one area you can really see the workmanship is the weld joints. I have seen the Moot’s, Serotta’s, Seven’s, I own a Litespeed eventually I would like to get a frame and build one myself. I would like to get the Serotta ultimately. But seems that the price for the Serotta or the Seven’s frames new aren’t that justified other than paying for the name. So I’m just looking around in other areas which may have a good quality workmanship and not give two arms and a leg.
Old 08-05-07, 05:27 PM

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chzman
thanks for the kind words.

well... your bike has 56cm ST, 56.5cm TT, 74.5deg ST and HT, the BB was raised 5mm, 1 1/8in headset... and thats about it.

I think the Zipp decals are under a clear coat, so I didn't want to mess with the integrity of the carbon. So they stay, and I kind of like them.

It is my size! Bang in a 130mm or 140mm stem and my preferred bars and away I go! Thanks for that info.

Again, lovely bike. If I ever race track again I'll consider a Dean Ti (along with maybe an Argon 18 or something custom from one or two Aussie builders I know)
Old 08-05-07, 05:32 PM

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon
As I said earlier, one of the importance would be the weld joints, how smooth the welds are, this is one area you can really see the workmanship is the weld joints. I have seen the Moot’s, Serotta’s, Seven’s, I own a Litespeed eventually I would like to get a frame and build one myself. I would like to get the Serotta ultimately. But seems that the price for the Serotta or the Seven’s frames new aren’t that justified other than paying for the name. So I’m just looking around in other areas which may have a good quality workmanship and not give two arms and a leg.
How neat the welds are may indicate that care has been taken in building the frame, but it doesn't give you the full story on whether or not the weld penetration is sufficient.
Old 08-05-07, 05:58 PM

Bikes: Too many...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by classic1
How neat the welds are may indicate that care has been taken in building the frame, but it doesn't give you the full story on whether or not the weld penetration is sufficient.
This man speaks the truth. However, neat welds are usually indicative of the care/pride said welder has in his/her work. I'd be inclined to trust a neat over a sloppy weld any day. That said, Dean has some awesome talent welding up their pipes.

Old 08-07-07, 11:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would bet that most of the top brands weld penetration isn't going to be a problem, but what will separate them would be the finish work of their welds. The worst titanium frames I have seen are the Airborne which is no longer around. Those looked like someone wrapped a worm around the welds!
Old 08-07-07, 11:45 PM
Banned

Bikes: roadbikes and full-suspension mountainbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sharp-looking titanium bikes in this thread. I would definitely opt for the lower-profile decals rather than the multi-colored ones I've seen on some of their bikes.
Old 08-07-07, 11:54 PM
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blue Jays
Sharp-looking titanium bikes in this thread. I would definitely opt for the lower-profile decals rather than the multi-colored ones I've seen on some of their bikes.
Nah. I like the Devo look.
Old 08-08-07, 07:50 AM
Mad Scientist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marqueemoon
Nah. I like the Devo look.
i think you can request a polished/brushed contrast "decal"... it is not Devo, but still very cool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.