Foo - Canine Lymphoma
Bikeforums.net is a forum about nothing but bikes. Our community can help you find information about hard-to-find and localized information like bicycle tours, specialties like where in your area to have your recumbent bike serviced, or what are the best bicycle tires and seats for the activities you use your bike for.
I believe my 6 year old german shorthair pointer is about to be diagnosed with this. I've done some online research and know his days are numbered, if this is, indeed, the case. Anyone have experience with this canine cancer?
08-16-07, 01:24 PM
Sorry. No. :( Hope you're mistaken.
08-16-07, 01:32 PM
Not familiar with it. I so hope it's something else. Something treatable. My thoughts are with you. There are many of us here who know that having a sick pet or losing a pet is really hard.
No experience with it, but I hope that all works out okay.
08-16-07, 08:01 PM
Wow, sorry to hear that.
We just finished 3 months of treatments, doggie in remission and looking really good, approx $3000-$3500 extra on a verbal estimate of $700-$1000 to try for a remission (no cures for canines, just remission and quality of life). Weekly IV chemo plus other pills for 2-3 months, plus various tests to make sure chemo was worth a try. If the problem is only in the lymph system and not in the spine or organs, it's possible to buy a lot more time. We just took her in for the yearly exam and shots and the vet said uh-oh, yer dog's gained 25 pounds since last time and I see a lymph problem . . . you've got a month or two unless it hasn't spread and you want to try a treatment. We couldn't believe the weight gain or the diagnosis. It didn't all go smoothly but things are good now. If it comes back in a year we'll probably let nature take its course.
If you do the tests and try the meds, your dog will be very tender and not reacting normally, be especially careful with food, ours stole a slice of pizza one night (who knew yeast was almost as bad as chocolate for dogs?) and put a layer on the ground floor overnight (yay for hardwoods instead of carpet! much easier to clean) and then didn't eat or drink for about 2 weeks where we had to bottle feed water diluted can food dog mush. Feet hurt (won't want to walk the normal routes), will pant and drink all the time, etc. It's hard to watch.
Major test to do asap if you're willing to spend the $$$ for the treatments if the test proves it will be worthwhile. If no further spread its possible to gain years. After the strong meds then there is a maintenance med that costs about $0.50 per day I think.
08-16-07, 08:25 PM
That's awful, my wife and I went through this exact thing with her Belgian sheppard about 12 years ago. He was also 6 years old. With chemo and steady treatments, we were able to get him into remission. Unfortunately, it was not to be and he relapsed after a few months. At that point it was better for him to let him go than fight on. He was not a complainer, so there's no telling how much pain/ discomfort he was in-- but the vets took good care of him and except for the days of chemo, his quality of life was good.
It ended up costing around $3500 that we didn't have, but we have no regrets.
I hope you and your dog beat this thing.
How sad. :( I wish I could help you more in this area. Have you taken the dog to the vet yet??? I wish this process to be the smoothest for you.
Sorry about your pointer. We just found our lab has cancer. She's almost 11 so well just keep her happy for as long as we can. She in fairly good shape, and as long as we keep the infections in check, doesn't have any pain or discomfort. Treatment was going to be $4k - $5k, and involve travel, radiation, and possible surgery. Best of luck for all of you.
Thanks for all the good thoughts. I took him to the vet and she prescribed a heavy course of antibiotics. We will wait to see if they have any effect before sending off a biopsy. But I'm prepared for the worst. I don't believe we'll go with chemo, as I cannot afford it. He's happy and active now, I hope he can stay that way.
08-17-07, 04:08 PM
I wish you and your dog the best. I dread the day when I lose my little Molly.
Good news! Friday night an abscess broke open on Hunter's neck and has been draining regularly. Looks like he was bitten by some canine vampyre or stabbed by a cactus, this got infected/caused swelling of glands due to infection. He was on antibiotics previously and is on the road no recovery. No lymphoma!
08-20-07, 12:23 PM
08-20-07, 12:24 PM
08-20-07, 12:30 PM
That is great news!
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.12 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.