Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Well, I'll never order from nashbar again!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-03, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ordered some stuff from Nashbar. Used standard shipping. Found out after the fact that it can take up to 15 days to get your order when shipped via USPS. Of course it doesn't say this on the nashbar site. Order finally came today (8 days after it was shipped). The right leg of the shorts I ordered is stretched out. Also, I ordered a riser stem for my wifes MTB and the quill is 7/8" OD, not 1" OD like I ordered. The funny thing is, the packaging also says that it is 1" OD.

My opinion: Nashbar sucks.

Grrrr. Heading to my LBS to get fixed up right.

-Dave
Old 08-08-03, 04:43 PM
OregonBound

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Hi Dave,

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Nashbar. I've ordered from them dozens of times over the years and had nothing but good luck. The few times I've returned something, it was simple and quick.

Regarding the shipping, I'm rather surprised that you were surprised. Have you not much used the United States Postal Service? Taking a week or more to deliver a package across the country is certainly not out of the bounds of usual behavior--at least the times I've used them.

Paul

Old 08-08-03, 04:54 PM
Advertise here!

Bikes: 2002 Allez A1xx SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
8 days is somewhat standard shipping time. I usually order from Price and it takes a fool week to get here.

Sorry to hear about shorts and parts, I know it's a pain in the a$s to wait another 20 days. I think you are the second person on this forum who's having tough luck with nashbar. I have yet to order from them, but every I read something like this I change my mind.

Good Luck!
Old 08-08-03, 09:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I'm used to Fedex or UPS. And I'm not necessarily mad about it taking so long to get to me, it's that I didn't know beforehand. If I had known, I would have paid the extra $$ for fedex. The bad items were icing on the cake.

Live and learn I guess. Went to the local LBS tonight and got some shorts and a new stem.

Thanks for the replies,
Dave
Old 08-08-03, 09:30 PM
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Well, I've only used the standard shipping from Nashbar and I generally get my order in just under a week. Sometimes a little longer if they ship by USPS. The 15 day figure is based on the shipper's performance. If you want a guaranteed delivery, you have to pay extra for it.

Regarding the bad items you received, if they were ordered new, then you should probably blame the manufacturer for the errors. Certainly I would not expect Nashbar to open every package to inspect the contents before shipping.

Even so, you're a pretty tough customer to forever stop doing business with someone after one mistake. Perhaps it would be better to give Nashbar a chance to correct the mistake first. I doubt that Nashbar intentionally tried to pass off bad or wrong merchandise on you.

I've ordered quite a few times from Nashbar and have never gotten a bad item.
Old 08-09-03, 08:18 AM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My order, which I called and e-mailed several time, showed up after 20+ days.
Old 08-09-03, 08:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your luck with Nashbar.

Personally my experience with them has been very good. I also use Performance and have had similar experience.

If I have the option I will select UPS over all the other methods. Living in a more rural area I have found they work best. They will leave packages at your door if you are not home. Fedex will not which can then take 2-4 more days to get your package to you when you are home.

Yes, a package left at your door may be stolen or is subject to the weather, but so far no theft and we have a covered porch for protection.

I wish my local bike shop was as good. They ordered a bottom bracket (they checked the size supposedly) and I am still waiting 10 days and one wrong bracket later.

Mark
Old 08-09-03, 08:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm fortunate that I live about 10 miles from their warehouse. I generally get the product the next day! And that is with standard shipping. Before they were bought out by Performance, I knew Arnie and Eric Nashbar pretty well, and they had their Outlet store about 1/2 mile from where I work. Man it was great heading down there on my lunch hour and picking up some unbelieveable steals. I really miss those days. You could get catalog return items for about 80% off list price. Incidently..Arnie has had some serious health setbacks and really hasn't been able to enjoy the fruits of his labors since he sold the company.
Old 08-09-03, 10:26 AM
Victim of Circumstance

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only ordered from Nashbar twice so far and I probably never will again.

The last thing I ordered was a Zefal frame pump. It took three weeks to arrive via USPS, was poorly packaged (in a used and previously damaged box, no less!), and appeared to be in used condition.

In spite of Nashbar's claims, I know for a fact that the order did not ship from their warehouse when they state it did. I returned the item via USPS and requested delivery confirmation. It arrived in two days. Let's see - Three weeks here, but only two days back. Even though it took only two days to get to Nashbar, my account was not credited for another three weeks.

Never again.
Old 08-10-03, 05:27 AM

Bikes: 1980 Univega; 1985 Ross; 1994 Trek 1400 -- all road bikes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had many good experiences with Nashbar, but bad experiences with Colorado Cyclist. One time, an aggressive CC rep (probably on straight commission) tried to sell me an entire drive train for $1,100, when all I really needed was a cassette.
Old 08-10-03, 05:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What an interesting range of experiences with nashbar. The combination of the shipping issue and bad/incorrect items still leave me with a bad feeling. Maybe in time I will give them another chance, but not anytime soon. I'll probably give Performance a try the next time I order online.

I know that nashbar didn't intentionally try to screw me. Perhaps if they improve the info about shipping on their site I may try them again. Fedex 2nd day was a couple $'s more and I would have paid that if I had known how long USPS would take.

We'll see how they handle my return.

-Dave
Old 08-10-03, 06:49 PM
I am a lonely visitor

Bikes: Michelle Pfieffer, the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bike: A Kestrel 200 SCI Repainted in glorious mango; Old Paintless, A Litespeed Obed; The Bike With No Name: A Bianchi Eros; RegularBike: A Parkpre Comp Ltd rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You might want to note that Perfomance, Nashbar and Supergo are the same company. I believe that Performance and Nashbar both use the same customer service and warehouse. I think Nashbar's service used to be better before Performance bought them out. You might want to call their customer service, state your complaint and see if they make good on it. Not long ago I ordered two tires from them. They shipped me the last one, but I needed two. They were very cooperative about accepting my return and paying for the postage. Let them know what your complaints are. They may make good.
Old 08-10-03, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I get stuff from Nashbar, and I get it regular mail- it usually takes about a business week to get here.

Performance is ok- I think I usually get some kind of Team Performance upgrade for mailings, so I get it in a reasonable amount of time.

Supergo just bites. Everytime I order from them, something's backordered, or the shipment takes forever, or something. I just can't order from them anymore. I did 3 orders and was very dissatisified.

Koffee

Old 08-10-03, 07:08 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Soliost

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are all the same company, but aren't they still run by the people who were running from them before hand.
Old 08-16-03, 09:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) You may only have 1 valid complaint. The shorts. But I am sure Nashbar did not send you bad ones on purpose.
2) Your stem? Get clue stupid. 1" (OD)(7/8" ID) steerer tubes require a 7/8" (22.2 mm) quill to go inside of them. If it were exactly 1" it would not work. Learn a bit about bikes before you shoot your mouth off.
3) Shipping, USPS is the slowest without a doubt, everyone but you knows that I see. If you want it quick, pay for it!
Find something legit to complain about !!
Nashbar is probably glad you will not order from them again. You sound like a pain in the ass and a good way to lose money anyway.
As far as the Performance, Nashbar, Supergo connection goes. Supergo is run completely separate from PBS and Nbar. PBS and Nbar do use the same ordering/CS. All three ship from separate warehouses.
Old 08-16-03, 11:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm glad I have you to validate my complaints.

1. El Jefe, learn how to read. My complaint about shipping is the fact that Nashbar posted no information about USPS. I should not have to go to another site to get info on shipping. I would have paid for the upgraded shipping, if I would have known. And why should I inherently have any idea how fast USPS parcel shipping is relative to other shipping methods? I can send a letter across the country in 3-4 days. Standard UPS shipping takes only 3-4 business days.

2. The original stem has 25.4 mm stamped on it, or one inch. So I ordered a new 1" stem. The stem I received is 7/8". Doesn't sound like my problem.

3. Actually, I can understand the shorts. Nashbar has to rely on it's suppliers for a certain amount of quality control. The shorts are still going back.

BTW, it should be "Get a clue, stupid"....
Old 08-16-03, 01:53 PM
BikeForums Founder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
El Jefe, please do not insult forum members.

IMHO the problem with nashbar is the delay it takes between order and getting the item shipped. I have paid for NDA shipping only to have it wait at the warehouse for 5 days. You would think NDA would be shipped if the order was received by X:XX PM that day.
Old 08-17-03, 07:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Performance, Nashbar And Supergo are owned by the same holding company NOT Performance.They each operate as a separate entitiy.
FedEx WILL leave packages if you sign a waiver beforehand. I signed one with my regular FedEx person 4 months ago, now she doesn't knock even when I'm home.
I've ordered thousands of dollars worth of stuff from Nashbar with excellent service. Regular ground shipping IS slow. If my order is below $50 or I'm not in a rush I'll do ground shipping.

Last edited by Paige; 08-17-03 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-18-03, 11:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
USPS shipping is rediclulous. I live in cincinnati OH and their stuff ships from youngstown OH, only a few hours away. Still takes 8 days.
Old 08-19-03, 08:47 AM
0^0

Bikes: Redline Monocog,Surly Crosscheck, Lemond Reno

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've always had great service from nashbar, they are usually the first place I go if I'm ordering from the net. Pricepoint and Performance are great too, I had a little trouble with supergo once, but nothing big. Pricepoint has been the best out of all of them though.