Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Trangia stove questions

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Trangia stove questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-07, 09:25 PM
Still on two wheels!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trangia stove questions

I have questions about the Trangia stove system. I currently use the home made drink can stove and like it ok, but am considering buying a Trangia.

1. Does the fry pan serve as the pot lid on the kits? If so, is it hard to grip the pan with those pliars, and how firm does it fit the pot? Do most not use a lid?

2. Could someone tell me the diameater of the round base that doesn't have the wind screans attached?

3. Does the pan sit close to the mouth of the burner? On the can stoves I have made it seems to work better if the pan is 3 inches or so off the stove.

4. Does the simmer ring work well?

5. Should I just keep using the can stove?

I have only done day trips this fall to continue to shake down equipment. I hope to start next spring with some over night local trips. Then an in state tour to my daughters home and just some sight seeing.

Thanks
Old 12-11-07, 10:08 PM
40 yrs bike touring

Bikes: Bruce Gordon Ti Rock N Road [1989], Fat Chance Mountain Tandem [1988], Velo Orange Neutrino (2020)

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have never used the complete Trangia system so I cannot answer some of your questions.

I bought two Trangia burners over forty years ago and made my own base and windscreen. Recently Clickstand created a light weight base and windscreen for the Trangia burner. https://clikstand.com/home.htm

The simmer ring use after practice works quite well. The burners are more durable than many home made stoves and is very efficient in my experience. It is heavier than homemade.
Old 12-12-07, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Q1. Does the fry pan serve as the pot lid on the kits? If so, is it hard to grip the pan with those pliars, and how firm does it fit the pot? Do most not use a lid?

A: Yes. It is not difficult to grip because the diameter is quite a bit wider than the top of the pot. Just turn the grippers upside down. It fits quite OK for simmering. If it was a tight fit, you may face an explosion! But, generally, everything works well. As to the frying pan side of things, the three little lugs that hold the pots turn upwards and hold the pan above the windscreen. The lugs are pretty nifty because they are shaped so the frying pan won't slip off the stove.

Q2. Could someone tell me the diameater of the round base that doesn't have the wind screans attached?

A:Sorry, but you will have to be more specific. Do you mean the base that sits on the ground and to which the upper windscreen/pot holder attaches?

Q3. Does the pan sit close to the mouth of the burner? On the can stoves I have made it seems to work better if the pan is 3 inches or so off the stove.

A: There is some clearance of an inch or more between the burner and bottom of the pot. The fact your can stove works better with a higher position probably relates to the draft created for the stove. Believe me, the Trangia is a hot little unit when on full bore.

Q4. Does the simmer ring work well?

A:Yes and no. The simmer ring basically takes the jets out of the picture, and you are left with the pool of alcohol burning. Functionally, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this; if you are anywhere near a decent cook, slow and steady is what you want, even in camp.

But the weakness (and probably the most significant of all for the Trangias) is getting the darned thing off if you want to go straight from simmer to boil (ie, when changing to another pot, say, to boil water). I use the grippers to grasp the lid if it is open.

Otherwise, if the simmer ring is almost closed I just use the lid to the burner and place it over the top (upside down to preserve the O-ring) to extinguish the flame. I do this also when extinguishing the flame when the simmer ring is on there. Otherwise, I use the simmer ring, with the flap closed, and toss it on to the burner. This can be a hit-and-miss affair. I don't know if anyone else has suggestions on how to extinguish Trangia burners.

But long answer short... yes the simmer ring works well in controlling heat.

Q5. Should I just keep using the can stove?

A: It's a free world The thing about the Trangia is that everything fits together well as a package, and you don't have to muck around unrolling windscreens, making up stands and be extremely attentive that hot pots don't fall off the stands. I've often thought about making up a can stove, but then I think "why bother"....
Old 12-12-07, 06:14 AM
Still on two wheels!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks already.

Q2. I have seen the burner in a round base with 4 tabs turned up, this is the one I was interested in knowing the diameater of.

I was sorta leaning twards buying a Trangia because I think it may be a little more durable than the homemade stoves. The other reason is the simmer function. I have never quite gotten the simmer to work well on my can stoves, although they do a fine job of burning wide open! I also like the looks of the homade Trangia burner holder. I may look into making something like this.

Is the mini Trangia the same burner?
Old 12-12-07, 06:41 AM

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
Originally Posted by uciflylow
Thanks already.

Q2. I have seen the burner in a round base with 4 tabs turned up, this is the one I was interested in knowing the diameater of.

I was sorta leaning twards buying a Trangia because I think it may be a little more durable than the homemade stoves. The other reason is the simmer function. I have never quite gotten the simmer to work well on my can stoves, although they do a fine job of burning wide open! I also like the looks of the homade Trangia burner holder. I may look into making something like this.

Is the mini Trangia the same burner?

Yep, but the disadvantage is that without the surround it uses more fuel and needs a windbreak. Remember to add a little water to the meths to stop blackening.
Old 12-12-07, 10:38 AM
Leather and Canvas Fetish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arctos
Recently Clickstand created a light weight base and windscreen for the Trangia burner. https://clikstand.com/home.htm
Before you decide on buying the Trangia kit, consider the Clickstand...it's a winner!!! Not cheap, but it'll last a lifetime. One of the best products I've bought in a while.
Old 12-12-07, 11:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny, I was going to post something similar regarding the simmer ring. That is pretty much what I do to, except the first time I did it I got burnt by the simmer ring, ouch that thing gets hot! Adjusting the flame midway through cooking is a pain because of the temperature of the ring. With the pliers you can take it off then knock it against the ground to get it to the desired position.
-------------------------------
Q4. Does the simmer ring work well?

A:Yes and no. The simmer ring basically takes the jets out of the picture, and you are left with the pool of alcohol burning. Functionally, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this; if you are anywhere near a decent cook, slow and steady is what you want, even in camp.

But the weakness (and probably the most significant of all for the Trangias) is getting the darned thing off if you want to go straight from simmer to boil (ie, when changing to another pot, say, to boil water). I use the grippers to grasp the lid if it is open.

Otherwise, if the simmer ring is almost closed I just use the lid to the burner and place it over the top (upside down to preserve the O-ring) to extinguish the flame. I do this also when extinguishing the flame when the simmer ring is on there. Otherwise, I use the simmer ring, with the flap closed, and toss it on to the burner. This can be a hit-and-miss affair. I don't know if anyone else has suggestions on how to extinguish Trangia burners.

But long answer short... yes the simmer ring works well in controlling heat.
Old 12-12-07, 07:53 PM

Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Although other members have answered your questions, I would like to emphasis how much better a Trangia is compared to a pop can stove. Ignoring everything else, the fact that it has a stove and a pot with a lid and a fry pan in a super-compact size not much larget that the pop can stove makes it a best buy.
Old 12-12-07, 11:41 PM

A friend of mine made up a base from a discarded aluminium roadside sign the design of which is based on an English burner holder. It comprises three pieces that slot together and are dimensioned such that the Trangia burner fits tightly into the middle, and the pot is held just the right height above the flame. It is very stable. although you do have to watch that the pot doesn't slide around. With aluminium roof flashing with a series of holes punched around the perimeter, the whole lot including the burner disassembles and fits neatly inside a Trangia pot.

I'll try to set up some pictures of the stand in the next few days and post.
Old 12-13-07, 05:26 AM
Still on two wheels!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stokell, This is the kind of information is that has me leaning twards purchacing a Trangia burner, the durability aspect! BTW I use a pop can stove to heat water for my tea in the mornings, it seems more effecent than my gas stove and kettle, especially when heating one or two cups of water at a time.
You all have made too many good points. Looks like a Triangia is in my future. Now to decide if I want to order a kit, or just a burner and use my current setup!
Old 12-14-07, 12:18 AM

The beauty of a Trangia really is in the lack of maintenance needed to keep it operating efficiently. I have been using one burner for around nine months now for most of my cooking (every day), and it has performed flawlessly without the need for clean or any other messy maintenance. And while methylated spirits tastes really evil, I prefer its smell to that of petrol/gasoline, and knowing my clumsiness, the smell of the latter would ruin any good meal I might cook.

In addition, should an accident occur, such as a spillage that ignites, methylated spirits can be extinguished with water. You cannot do that with gasoline/petrol -- as I understand it, water on petrol just makes the whole mess much, much worse.
Old 12-15-07, 07:10 AM
Goggles & Doo-rag ready!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found the appeal to the Trangia in the cook set and stove combination. Mine is the two person. The burner, while brass, is not especially better than the pepsi stove. However, the windscreen/burner holder, 2 pots, lid/skillet/plate, pliers and (optional) strainer make a compact complete cook set. Everything is together.

The simmer ring works but you need to plan ahead (imo) and simmer towards the end of the dish. I also have the 3 liter pot that the set stores inside (with no room to spare). It is quite versatile, but then I have seen people do amazing things with a MSR rocket and a nesting cookset.
Old 12-16-07, 08:22 PM
where2pedalto.com

Bikes: LoGo Recumbent Trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trangia

G'day.
My wife and I used our spirit burner on our round Australia tour and it worked very well, including the simmer ring. Now on our North America tour we have changed to the multi fuel burner which has also worked very well. An added bonus to the multi-fuel is it is hard to spill it and set the place on fire.
Personally, I'd go for the multi-fuel burner rather than the spirit burner.
The Trangia is heavier than many other stoves, but it is a *complete system* and that has served us extremely well.

Regards

Andrew

https://www.where2pedalto.com/equipme...ment.htm#Stove has a small write up on it. What needs to be added is the fact that we went back to the Trangia after trying something else that was lighter.
Old 12-16-07, 09:02 PM
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I like the simmer ring and think it gives pretty good adjustability to cooking on a Trangia.

The flat, micro Trangia stove base and collapsible aluminum windscreen folds up VERY SMALL, I've taken to leaving behind the larger trangia cookset with pot-sized windscreen, despite better fuel efficency with the larger windscreen.
Old 02-20-08, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
I was considering getting the brasslite stove. However, after much online research I decided to go with the Trangia instead. I picked up:
1- Snow Peak 900 titanium cookset (see it here). I paid $30.36. Weight = 6.2 oz (for comparison Trangia's version of this cookset, in aluminum, weighs 6.6 oz).
2- Snow Peak titanium spork x 2 (see them here). I paid $7.16x2=$14.32. Weight = .6 oz x 2 = 1.2 oz.
3- mini Trangia (aka Trangia 28) (see it here). This is the spirit stove burner with the mini Trangia windscreen. I paid $15.60. Weight = 5.65 oz dry.
The total order cost me $60.28 from CampSaver.com, using their 20% off coupon (I had to sign up for their newsletter to get this coupon). Had I ordered the same, except with the Brasslite replacing the Trangia, I would have spent approximately $30 more for a stove that may be more efficient (some say it's not when compared to the Trangia with the home-made taller windscreen) and is slightly lighter (Brasslite = 2.6oz dry, Trangia = 2.35oz+.8oz flame control +1.8oz stock windscreen/pot support + .7oz lid totaling 5.65oz dry). Note: the Brasslite does not come with a windscreen, but according to Backpacking Light, it should be used with one. The Trangia comes with one. Does 3 oz really matter? To me it doesn't......

I have not used any of it yet, except to boil water at home as practice. The stove and windscreen fit very nicely inside the SnowPeak cookset. Based on other reviews online, I also made a second windscreen out of 4" metal roof flashing (I happened to have a 50 foot roll of it). I was able to make two, 8" diameter windscreens (1 stacks on top of the other). They coil up nicely inside the pot, along with the mini Trangia and stock mini Trangia windscreen.

Last edited by hopperja; 02-20-08 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-20-08, 12:40 PM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I have been a die hard MSR multi-fuel stove proponent all my adult life. They have given me great service and I haven't had any issues with them. I recently rec'd a gift certificate for my birthday and decided to give an alcohol stove a try. I initially purchased a Vargo Triad Ti stove, but although it was uber light and a cool design, the lack of simmer and fussy operation convinced me to give a Trangia stove a try.

Since I own lots of cook ware I just bought the burner and a Little John Stove Stand [made in Canada]. I use a MSR folding windscreen with these items. Although not as light and simple as the Vargo I am impressed how simple and easy to use the Trangia is. I'll be using this stove on my short backpacking and bike tours this year to see how I like it compared to my other stoves. If it works well in practice I'll take it on my summer bike tour.

Question for those of you who use alcohol stoves regularly on tour - where are the easiest places to source fuel?
Old 02-20-08, 03:23 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
I like the simmer ring and think it gives pretty good adjustability to cooking on a Trangia.

The flat, micro Trangia stove base and collapsible aluminum windscreen folds up VERY SMALL, I've taken to leaving behind the larger trangia cookset with pot-sized windscreen, despite better fuel efficency with the larger windscreen.
I've been using a pepsi can and pot combo from Antigravity Gear for a while, but got sick of having no control over the flame, so I bought a mini-Trangia. I've combine the kits and have a very useful combination of things, that has better functionality that the pepsi can

mini-Trangia stove
8oz plastic cup
mini-Trangia stand
2 cup Antigravity gear pot and cozy
Trangia frying pan, doubles as pot lid
Antigravity gear pot holder (stronger than the Trangia one)
Windscreen
lighter
pot scrubber
measuring cup for fuel.
couscous and stock cubes to fill up the space

This all fits nicely in one of the Antigravity gear pot covers.
Having 2 pans is very useful. I can boil 2 cups of water, use one for tea and the other to cook couscous by putting the pot in its cozy. Then I can use the frying pan to cook some protein like ham, sausages, fish etc. The simmer ring also makes it far easier to heat up stews and cook eggs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
packedcookwear.jpg (44.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg
cookwear.jpg (49.3 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by nun; 02-20-08 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-20-08, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by vik

I have been a die hard MSR multi-fuel stove proponent all my adult life. They have given me great service and I haven't had any issues with them. I recently rec'd a gift certificate for my birthday and decided to give an alcohol stove a try. I initially purchased a [URL="https://vikapproved.blogspot.com/2008/01/fire-good.html"]Question for those of you who use alcohol stoves regularly on tour - where are the easiest places to source fuel?

NOT in the Rocky Mountains national parks in Canada!

Usually, in Canada, I have found the only reasonably reliable source is the paint section of hardware stores. You might be lucky and find it in the cleaner section of supermarkets.

In the US, it seems to be a bit easier to source in both those outlets.
Old 02-20-08, 05:16 PM
Slowpoach

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Northwood tandem, 1970s Gitane fixxed 45x16

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1- Snow Peak 900 titanium cookset (see it here). I paid $30.36. Weight = 6.2 oz (for comparison Trangia's version of this cookset, in aluminum, weighs 6.6 oz).
You spent 30 bucks to save 0.4 oz? The mini trangia set comes with a light (and flimsy) pot!

(Although, I can see the value in having say a large titanium mug as well as the mini trangia set)
Old 02-20-08, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Cave
You spent 30 bucks to save 0.4 oz? The mini trangia set comes with a light (and flimsy) pot!

(Although, I can see the value in having say a large titanium mug as well as the mini trangia set)
No, I did not spend $30 to save .4 oz. This was not even the consideration. I wanted a titanium set, not aluminum, mainly because titanium is much harder and stronger - thus more durable - than aluminum.

For comparison, the cheapest I could find the mini-Trangia with the aluminum cookset (through REI) was $29.95, the sporks are $8.95 x 2 + sales tax = $51.92 + $8.99 S/H = $60.91. My cost for the mini-Trangia ($15.60) and titanium cookset ($30.36) and sporks ($14.32) = $60.28.

In the end, I actually saved a little bit!
Old 02-21-08, 08:40 AM
Aging Gearhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=vik;6199605

Question for those of you who use alcohol stoves regularly on tour - where are the easiest places to source fuel?[/QUOTE]

Virtually all autoparts stores (and many big box retailers) carry the fuel-line de-icer "HEET". The stuff in the yellow bottle is what you want. It's about a $1 to $1.5 per pint IIRC. Look here for more info: https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/340175-trangia-stove-fuel-alternatives.html
Old 02-21-08, 09:46 PM
Senior Mumbler

Bikes: Bianch Lupo, Wyatt Street King, Schwinn Traveller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toodman
Virtually all autoparts stores (and many big box retailers) carry the fuel-line de-icer "HEET". The stuff in the yellow bottle is what you want. It's about a $1 to $1.5 per pint IIRC. Look here for more info: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=340175
This is my favorite alternative. Some of the other places I've seen it: gas stations, grocery stores, large chain pharmacies, discount/dollar stores, hardware stores and farm supply shops. Some of those places also sold methylated alcohol as a paint thinner product.
Old 02-21-08, 09:55 PM
Slowpoach

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Northwood tandem, 1970s Gitane fixxed 45x16

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hopperja
No, I did not spend $30 to save .4 oz. This was not even the consideration. I wanted a titanium set, not aluminum, mainly because titanium is much harder and stronger - thus more durable - than aluminum.

For comparison, the cheapest I could find the mini-Trangia with the aluminum cookset (through REI) was $29.95, the sporks are $8.95 x 2 + sales tax = $51.92 + $8.99 S/H = $60.91. My cost for the mini-Trangia ($15.60) and titanium cookset ($30.36) and sporks ($14.32) = $60.28.

In the end, I actually saved a little bit!
Fair enough.

I wasn't aware you could get a mini-trangia set without the pot and pan - I've only ever seen the burner alone, or the burner + stand/windshield + tinny pot and lid/pan + even tinnier pot holder.