Bicycle Mechanics - Friction when spinning cassette (probably simple)
Bikeforums.net is a forum about nothing but bikes. Our community can help you find information about hard-to-find and localized information like bicycle tours, specialties like where in your area to have your recumbent bike serviced, or what are the best bicycle tires and seats for the activities you use your bike for.
I am doing some mid-winter cleaning today. I took the chain off and I was cleaning off the cassette with a rag when I noticed some friction while spinning the cassette past a certain point. That is, it spun freely for about 80% of its rotation, but had some trouble in the other 20%.
I'm guessing this is a silly question, but do I need to take off the cassette and do a thorough cleaning of the cassette / freehub?
01-13-08, 06:25 PM
You will probably get involved in too much, freewheel , if sealed could be replaced, cassette is also a pain to tear apart...might be best to just replace or put up with the drag..may be able to drizzle some oil into it though.
01-13-08, 06:42 PM
Drip some light oil between the non-rotating hub and the rotating outer shell and see if that smooths things out. If you know how to disassemble the hub and remove the freehub body, you could oil it after removing the inner seal ring.
If neither helps, something is bent or broken and you need a new freehub body.
Oil didn't help too much... though i noticed it doesn't rub when the wheel is on its side. Though, it is pretty gritty when I spin it.
I haven't removed anything down there before, but might look into some light disassembly... I should learn sometime.
01-13-08, 08:08 PM
wonder if the hub axle is croocked...
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.12 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.