Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ibis tandem

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Ibis tandem

Old 03-26-08, 09:32 AM
tly

Bikes: Cannondale T700 Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ibis tandem

I am going to look at an older Ibis tandem next week that I will be considering purchasing. I'm not sure which model it is but the seller told me that it cost over $4000 new. He is reluctant to name his price and wants me to take a look and make an offer and I quite honestly don't know where to start. I do know that it is equipped with hydraulic brakes which I believe were an add-on and mustache handlebars which were also an add on but he is including the road handlebars in the deal. He seems more interested in the bike going to a good home than how much he gets for it. I told him that I would offer what my budget allowed and to please not be offended. He assured me that he wouldn't.

I am also communicating with an individual about a Burley Samba. He is asking $750 for it and it hasn't been ridden a lot.

From the research that I've done on the net both bikes seem to be pretty good bikes but the Ibis is probably in a whole different class.

I would be interested in any comments about these bikes as well as some guidance as to what I should offer for the Ibis.

Thanks

Tom
Old 03-26-08, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I rode an IBis a little (150mi?) before buying a Co-Motion. We also rode a KHS and a Santana, all borrowed, the Santana for several months. I would rate the Ibis as a nice, unique bike, certainly not a low-end tandem, but it wasn't as stiff, in my opinion, as the $1500 KHS. Standing and climbing was scary. So I think that puts it below $1500 in my book. I know some people really like Ibis, and it was probably a fine touring bike, but I don't think its value is higher than $1000, maybe $1200.
Old 03-27-08, 03:14 PM
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Ibis tandems have a cult-like following which says more about Scot Nichol's persona than the tandems. Nichol was and still is someone who marches to the beat of a different drummer and much of that is evident in the tandems that were made during the first life of Ibis, e.g., MORON tubing, hand-job brake bridge, toe-jam pump peg, never mind some of the paint jobs and frame designs. You'll find up tube and double up tube Ibis tandems as well as more conventional frame designs.

At the time they were produced they were at least as "good as" the best tandems being made by anyone else. However, some of them had some funky features that set them apart: some good (pretty good tubing), some not so good (U-Brakes).

So, when considering an Ibis tandem you need to decide if you're buying an icon or simply your first tandem. If it's just your first tandem, then you price it like any other tandem of the same vintage, quality, and componenty. On this type of bike, older or eclectic non-original components will likely be something you may want to replace and that should be factored into your decision process when comparing the total acquisition cost of any tandem to another tandem. A good deal can get awfully expensive if you find that you need a new wheelset and transmission.

If you're looking for an icon then you'd want to make sure that the frame you're looking at actually has some of the iconic chacteristics, e.g., one of the unusual frame designs, the hand-job/toe-jam, or a kick-butt original paint job. While the price shouldn't be any different than what anyone else might pay for a first tandem, the icon status often times causes folks who are looking for an Ibis (or who have one to sell) to pump up the price. On the icon type of bike, the original and very eclectic components are actually more desireable and may help to justify the price of an Ibis vs. a tandem that's become a frankenbike with all kinds of weird, personal upgrades.

So, all of that said, you'd need to decide what the bike is worth to you compared to any other tandem that might meet your needs and make your offer accordingly. I'd probably pay almost $1k for a really nice and iconic Ibis tandem frame in great shape just to hang on the wall... but I wouldn't pay that much for one if I actually planned to ride it.
Old 03-28-08, 07:58 PM

Bikes: Co-Motion tandem, Serotta, and Specialized mt. bike

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Ibis Tandem

My stoker and I rode a 95 Ibis Touche for eight years. The silver fade paint was beautiful and we received many compliments on the bike over the years. We retired the frame because of water held in the tubes as each tube is sealed and there is no way for water to get out. The braze ons for eight water bottles was nice but each allowed water to permanently enter the frame. Be aware that the frame may have rust from water trapped in the frame.
Tandem Rider
Old 04-09-08, 04:31 AM
tly

Bikes: Cannondale T700 Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought the Ibis

Just to let you know I bought the Ibis. Took it out Sunday for a short 16 mile ride and we both enjoyed it a lot. Ended up giving $900 for it and it is in great shape. It hadn't been ridden for a while as the people I purchased it from had gone to recumbants a couple of years ago. While it had been sitting for a while it had obviously been taken care of and everything worked to perfection. thanks to all for the advice.

tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
small 017.jpg (70.4 KB, 89 views)