Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge 305 route vs. course

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-08, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me how to create a ride and save it as a route (not a course) from a program like bikeroutetoaster.com or mapmyride.com? I know how to save these as courses but I would like to save a ride I created on bikeroutetoaster as a route so that I will be prompted at each waypoint and I don't have to watch the map. If you select 'Do Course' on the garmin it will only notify you if you are off course. If you 'Navigate' a route it will actually switch from whatever screen you are on to the map when a waypoint is coming up and show you the details.
Old 06-19-08, 09:01 PM
Juicy

Bikes: Waterford, Surly Long Haul Trucker,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Have you searched the forums at Motionbased?
Old 06-20-08, 08:54 AM

Bikes: Madone 6.9 w/ Record Carbon, Look KG461, De Rosa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As stated above try a search.

In a nutshell:
- Route: point to point method of navigating that draws straight lines between the points (note: this is because the 305 does not support autorouting)
- Course: Detailed breadcrumb of the path you plan to follow that follows all the deatailed curves and turns
Old 06-20-08, 10:06 AM
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even if you save it as a course, your Edge will still give you a little pop-up with a prompt for the turn whenever you hit a waypoint. BRT doesn't put the warning waypoints in quite the right place, though.

So far, I don't think mapmyride creates automatic waypoints in teh course file.

BRT is a fantastic idea executed 90% of the way... hopefully, mapmyride will get it 100% right.
Old 06-24-08, 10:12 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert, 1978 Raleigh Professional, Trex 4300A, Dahon Mariner 26, Dahon Classic Stainless 16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure if it's the same for a 305 as for a 705, but with MapMyRide and the 705 it is simple:

1. Log in to MapMyRide and select the saved ride (or create one) that you want to download to the Edge
2. Plug the Edge into the USB port and wait for the operating system to recognized the new drive.
3. In MapMyRide click on Save to GPX.
4. Make sure that the GPX folder in the Edge memory is the selected destination.

It should only take a few seconds to save a ride.

It will give you the turn by turn directions and the prompts as turns are approached. However, I have found that if you deviate for more than a few seconds from the planned route it will recalculate and route you the most direct path to your destination rather than to the nearest point back on the planned route. I may be doing something wrong or it may be a MapMyRide - Garmin interface problem. I have reported it to Garmin.
Old 06-24-08, 12:41 PM

Bikes: '93 Mongoose IBOC COMP, '98 Trek 2100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by macenash
Can anyone tell me how to create a ride and save it as a route (not a course) from a program like bikeroutetoaster.com or mapmyride.com?
You can use GPSBabel to convert a course (from BRT, MMR, Google Earth or just about any other source) into a route for your 305. It creates locations/waypoints based on the course, and then uses those to define the route, all of which it will upload to the 305.

The Edge units are limited to 100 location/waypoints, so if you have a long route with a lot of changes in direction, it might not be able to handle it.

Courses use their own "points" which are different than locations/waypoints, but I don't know if there is an upper limit on the number of course points.