Northeast - Looking for Hilly routes in Bergen County
Bikeforums.net is a forum about nothing but bikes. Our community can help you find information about hard-to-find and localized information like bicycle tours, specialties like where in your area to have your recumbent bike serviced, or what are the best bicycle tires and seats for the activities you use your bike for.
10-15-08, 12:18 PM
can anyone give me directions for some hilly routes from Fair Lawn area?
10-15-08, 12:48 PM
If you have a car just drive to river and ride 9w.
10-15-08, 01:58 PM
hello nycwtorres and thank you for your quick reply.
i already know 9w/piermont area and those nice hills; i was wondering if you know of any other routes north of fair lawn area.
10-15-08, 02:04 PM
sorry I don't know any specific routes but I know that if you head north west you can find some hilly country. Try google maps "hillcrest ave Hawthorne NJ" and use the terrain view.
I have ridden around Ramapo Mountain State forest, but someone else was leading the ride. But I do remember it being fairly hilly.
I love my treks
10-15-08, 02:25 PM
If you already know about 9w and piermont, I assume you have been through Pallisades Park Dr. That has some nice hills.
I love my treks
10-15-08, 02:27 PM
here are your 20 steepest hills in NJ:
10-15-08, 04:14 PM
West side of Ridgewood. Corsa Terrace, Heights, Crest, Hillcrest, Upper, Glen, Mountain, Valley View.... you get the idea. Those are the hills I grew up on.
Not exactly a worked out route, but this covers some pretty good hills. When I'm back visiting my parents I ride some of these for fun/training.
Looking at the topo I'm guessing there's about 1500 ft of climbing there and a couple of those hills are ...challenging.:D
10-16-08, 08:35 AM
thank you all for your help!
i will be checking those links and routes.
i am thinking of posting some cue sheets that me and my buddy take over the weekends.
10-16-08, 08:31 PM
i will try this route on saturday at around 8:00 (depending if i am biking from fair lawn or taking the car); it will be me and my buddy. Drop me a message if you are interested and wanted to join.
Start address: Bauer Dr
End address: Long Hill Rd
Start at: Bauer Dr
1. Head southwest on Bauer Dr - 0.1 mi
2. Turn right at Long Hill Rd - 1.1 mi
3. Continue on Ramapo Valley Rd/State RT 202/US-202 - 0.3 mi
4. Slight right at Doty Rd - 0.4 mi
5. Slight right at W Oakland Ave - 0.8 mi
6. Continue on Skyline Dr - 5.1 mi
7. Slight left at Greenwood Lake Turnpike - 0.9 mi
Arrive at: Greenwood Lake Turnpike
8. Head southwest on Greenwood Lake Turnpike toward Redner Ln - 1.0 mi
9. Continue on Ringwood Ave - 1.9 mi
Arrive at: Ringwood Ave
10. Head south on Ringwood Ave toward F A Orechio Dr - 2.5 mi
11. Turn left at Wanaque Ave - 0.3 mi
12. Turn left at Colfax Ave - 1.4 mi
13. Continue on W Oakland Ave - 0.2 mi
Arrive at: W Oakland Ave
14. Head northeast on W Oakland Ave toward Pool Hollow Rd - 0.2 mi
15. Sharp right at Doty Rd - 0.4 mi
16. Slight left at Ramapo Valley Rd/State RT 202/US-202 - 0.3 mi
17. Continue on Long Hill Rd - 1.2 mi
Arrive at: Long Hill Rd
10-20-08, 09:40 AM
a really good route for hill aficionados; both sides were hard to climb (stopped a couple of times) although the nord side (from oakland to ringwood) seemed more hard than coming back...we decided to stop in ringwood and come back that way.
It was a bit spooky because of the amount of cars and their speed as they were coming up the hill. Maybe the same ride on sunday might be a bit calm.
10-20-08, 10:46 AM
I grew up in Fair Lawn, and I gotta say... The Lawn has hills? :)
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.12 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.