Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Re-Threading Rear Derailleur Cable...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-08, 06:21 PM
suffering...

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAPO, 2004 Look 468SL, CAAD 8, IRO MV, IRO bfssfg, 80's Panasonic x2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm looking to re-thread a rear derailleur cable through some Cinelli RAM bars and a LooK frame. All the routing is internal. I'm replacing an existing cable and was wondering the best way to re-thread without totally removing the old cable. In other words; can I use the old cable as a guide, attach the new cable to it and just pull it through? What is the best way to attach the two cables to each other?

Thanks in advance...
Old 10-15-08, 06:34 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by geist
I'm looking to re-thread a rear derailleur cable through some Cinelli RAM bars and a LooK frame. All the routing is internal. I'm replacing an existing cable and was wondering the best way to re-thread without totally removing the old cable. In other words; can I use the old cable as a guide, attach the new cable to it and just pull it through? What is the best way to attach the two cables to each other?

Thanks in advance...
Internal cable routing is always best done by leaving the cable intact, and routed through the frame. Pull the old housing through and use the old cable as a guide for the new housing. When that is properly routed through the frame. Route the new cable.

Pull the old housing out and cable and start the frustration process. Replacing a cable without doing the housing defeats the purpose of doing the former.
Old 10-15-08, 06:40 PM
suffering...

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAPO, 2004 Look 468SL, CAAD 8, IRO MV, IRO bfssfg, 80's Panasonic x2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I should replace the housing also, right? It's Campagnolo Record 10 if that matters. I ordered just the cable, because it was available, so I assumed I could just swap out the cable.
Old 10-15-08, 06:41 PM
cab horn

Originally Posted by geist
So I should replace the housing also, right? It's Campagnolo Record 10 if that matters. I ordered just the cable, because it was available, so I assumed I could just swap out the cable.
You can.

But it doesn't make sense to run a new cable through old, possibly contaminated housing. I am guessing the reason why you're replacing it is because you're getting subpar shifting performance due to contaminated housing?
Old 10-15-08, 06:52 PM

Bikes: Klein

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I replaced the derailleur cables on my Klein, I used some very fine steel wire attached to the end of the old inner cable. I carefully pulled the old cable out so that the fine wire was threaded from the opposite direction. Then I attached the end of the fine wire to the new cable and pulled it back through. With the wire I used, I only needed 5 or 6 wraps to hold to the cable securely.
Old 10-15-08, 07:32 PM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Fine wire or even a good stout thread or light string is all that's needed to pull the whole works through. The attaching is the key. Wrap the wire or thread/string a few turns around the cable and tape securetly with electrical tape that is stretched well so it has a lot of elastic force binding the two together.
Old 10-15-08, 07:34 PM
cab horn

Originally Posted by BCRider
Fine wire or even a good stout thread or light string is all that's needed to pull the whole works through. The attaching is the key. Wrap the wire or thread/string a few turns around the cable and tape securetly with electrical tape that is stretched well so it has a lot of elastic force binding the two together.
This is unecessary.

Again, all you need to do is leave the original cable routed through the frame intact. Routing the housing is simply a matter of using the old cable as a guide. Once that's through you can replace the cable.

No need to tape anything.
Old 10-15-08, 07:35 PM
cab horn

Originally Posted by Steve530
When I replaced the derailleur cables on my Klein, I used some very fine steel wire attached to the end of the old inner cable. I carefully pulled the old cable out so that the fine wire was threaded from the opposite direction. Then I attached the end of the fine wire to the new cable and pulled it back through. With the wire I used, I only needed 5 or 6 wraps to hold to the cable securely.
Again, completely uncessary.

If the housing is intact, replacing the cable is as simple as pulling out the old one and running the new one through. Then do the housing, if needed.
Old 10-15-08, 07:44 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Again, completely uncessary.

If the housing is intact, replacing the cable is as simple as pulling out the old one and running the new one through. Then do the housing, if needed.
Won't work with my Klein, or any bike that doesn't have cable housing through the internally routed section.
Old 10-15-08, 08:31 PM

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It really sucks when you have to route brand new internally routed frames and bars. Took me around 30min to do a cinelli ram bar. Also took around 30 minutes to route a teimeyer TT frame.