Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

LHT: 30mm Seat Post Collar!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-08, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Long Haul Trucker. I want to install a safety device on my seat. I got rid of the original Surly seat post clamp for some black one. It's 30mm, but it is NOT flat on both sides (so that a safety device may attach to it).

1) Is the LHT a 30mm seat post collar?

2) Where the F can I find a collar like this (i.e. flat on both sides so a safety device can attach to it)? I live in San Francisco and went to Box Dog, Valencia Cyclery, Pedal Revolution, and phoned up American Cyclery. No one has it! I even just performed a cursory search right now, and didn't find results. Help!
Old 11-24-08, 04:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is this safety device?
Old 11-24-08, 06:35 PM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Collars usually have their size stamped or etched into them . If you still have the one you took off, give it a look to get the proper size. If not, look on Surly's website or contact them for the specific sizing.
Old 11-24-08, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by inutile

2) Where the F can I find a collar like this (i.e. flat on both sides so a safety device can attach to it)? I live in San Francisco and went to Box Dog, Valencia Cyclery, Pedal Revolution, and phoned up American Cyclery. No one has it! I even just performed a cursory search right now, and didn't find results. Help!
1) Yes.

2) I don't know.
Old 11-24-08, 10:42 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Long Haul Trucker. I want to install a safety device on my seat. I got rid of the original Surly seat post clamp for some black one. It's 30mm, but it is NOT flat on both sides (so that a safety device may attach to it).

Good luck finding a seat collar in 29.9/30.0 with parallel surfaces to fit say, pitlock skweers. If you do find them, please pm me.
Old 11-24-08, 10:53 PM
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
There was a thread about this recently. One idea was to buy one of the available ones in the closest larger size and then just shim it to fit with shim stock. If you search you can probably find the thread.
Old 11-24-08, 11:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Good luck finding a seat collar in 29.9/30.0 with parallel surfaces to fit say, pitlock skweers. If you do find them, please pm me.
Haha, okay. I did a nice long search on Google and came up with nil. =/
Old 11-24-08, 11:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pacificaslim
There was a thread about this recently. One idea was to buy one of the available ones in the closest larger size and then just shim it to fit with shim stock. If you search you can probably find the thread.
I think that's what I'll probably have to do.
Old 11-25-08, 03:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that's what I'll probably have to do.
I was the guy with that thead. I'll save you the trouble of reading through it.

The LHT does take a 30 mm seatpost collar per the Surly Web site. I've searched long online for a 30 mm seatpost collar with parallel outer surfaces where the bolt contacts. I bought two collars that looked like they might work, but they didn't. Three LBS looking in their catalogs and online couldn't find one.

The suggestion to make a 31.8 mm collar fit a 30 mm collar requirement by using .035" (0.9 mm) shim stock seemed good. The nearest size shim stock I could find locally was .032" stainless, but I never got a good fit. I stopped pursuing it as I'm on the verge of resolving my issue, that being security, by using a security bolt, the stock Surly stainless 30 mm collar (NOT the Surly Constrictor collar that comes with the LHT), and a stainless spacer that fits in the recessed bolt hole of that collar. I've ordered the spacer and will know soon if all works.

I bet you could find some .035" (0.9 mm) -- or whatever size is required -- shim stock online and that might work. Then, you could buy a 31.8 mm Pitlock seat post collar that has the parallel outer surfaces.

Last edited by Blue Roads; 11-25-08 at 03:32 AM.
Old 11-26-08, 12:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Roads
I was the guy with that thead. I'll save you the trouble of reading through it.

The LHT does take a 30 mm seatpost collar per the Surly Web site. I've searched long online for a 30 mm seatpost collar with parallel outer surfaces where the bolt contacts. I bought two collars that looked like they might work, but they didn't. Three LBS looking in their catalogs and online couldn't find one.

The suggestion to make a 31.8 mm collar fit a 30 mm collar requirement by using .035" (0.9 mm) shim stock seemed good. The nearest size shim stock I could find locally was .032" stainless, but I never got a good fit. I stopped pursuing it as I'm on the verge of resolving my issue, that being security, by using a security bolt, the stock Surly stainless 30 mm collar (NOT the Surly Constrictor collar that comes with the LHT), and a stainless spacer that fits in the recessed bolt hole of that collar. I've ordered the spacer and will know soon if all works.

I bet you could find some .035" (0.9 mm) -- or whatever size is required -- shim stock online and that might work. Then, you could buy a 31.8 mm Pitlock seat post collar that has the parallel outer surfaces.
Wow, so I'm not the only one in this situation.

PLEASE PM me, or make a post if the spacer works. I will definitely go that way if it does. As of right now, I'm going to try the shim method, but that requires taking time out of my day to call places to see if they shims/collars, riding my bike down to test before purchase, etc.
Old 12-19-08, 07:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey all,

I was in the same situation as far as getting 30.mm seatpost for pitlock skewers... I contacted Vince the distributor for usa/canada for pitlock https://www.urbanbiketech.co
trying to get one

he said Pitlock didn't offer one

I went and sent an email to pitlock in germany info@pitlock.de and was contacted by a woman named Nadia who said they will start offering it

here is the email reply

===========================================
Gesendet: Freitag, 12. Dezember 2008 15:19
An: info@pitlock.de
Betreff: question on Pitlock

Sirs, I was just going to buy a full set of Pitlock's for my bike..

I wanted a 30.0mm seatpost clamp for my bike to protect my Brooks saddle, and there is no 30.0mm seatpost clamps.

I contacted Vince your distributor in Canada and he informed me that you don't make one in 30.mm and there was no suitable substitue clamp from another manufacturer.

I just wanted to let you know you are missing out on a big market here in usa...many bike owner have 30.mm seatpost clamps as Surly is a big, big market here

so if you offer a 30.0 mm I will be be the first to buy one and you will get alot of new sales

thank you and take care jim

======================

Dear Mr. Smith,

Many thanks for your demand. We will catch up an offer and we trouble ourselves Saddle clamp by the size 30mm can supply.

The pieces of news are announced on our Internet page www.pitlock.com.

Best regards

Nadia Medrow
=================================

I want one, and I know others do too, so send an email to pitlock and vince letting them know

I contacted
Vince and he is aware of this

so let them know we need 30.00mm seatcollar

also this says something about the great customer service with Vince and Pitlock and their product

Last edited by doco; 12-19-08 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-19-08, 07:58 PM
PITLOCK Shop

Bikes: Soma Wolverine 3.0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As mentioned by DOCO, we are in the process of working with Pitlock, Berlin to fabricate some 30.0mm seatpost collars. We've had a ton of requests for them and frankly, there just aren't many 30.0mm collars out there.

Hopefully we'll have some early in the new year! Stay Tuned...
Old 01-21-09, 01:02 AM

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale Six13 Team 1, 1984 Cannondale, 1979 Motobecane Team Champion, 1994 Fat City Yo' Eddy Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any update on these collars yet?
Old 01-22-09, 10:48 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had the same problem installing a Pinhead skewer (same idea as Pitlocks) on my Surly 1x1. I happened to find a workable collar in a bin at work but I had no idea how rare they were!
Old 01-22-09, 11:26 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Are you guys worried about your seatposts or your seats? If you've got a seatpost with a single-bolt clamp theoretically it would be just as easy to steal your seat that way.

One thing I saw from a picture of a dutch bike was a length of chain- bike chain- looped from the seat rail around one of the seatstays. Now that's anti-theft. Not many crooks carrying chainbreakers around I'd bet. But then you've got a length of chain... looped through... etc.
Old 01-22-09, 05:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe this would work? Might have to do a little work with a drill to get the pitlock skewer through, though.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=15691
Old 01-22-09, 05:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
re: shim stock. This aluminum tubing should make a perfect shim for a 31.8 clamp to a 30.0 seat tube.

https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...=71&top_cat=60
Old 01-22-09, 06:11 PM
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
If you rarely change your seat height, ball bearing and some superglue. FWIW, foolproof solution is to use a QR and remove your seatpost and collar when not riding
Old 01-26-09, 11:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twoflats
Maybe this would work? Might have to do a little work with a drill to get the pitlock skewer through, though.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=15691
This looks really good. I think my particular skewer may even be larger than the screw, so much so drilling may be unnecessary.

And it comes in 30mm!!
Old 01-26-09, 10:55 PM

Bikes: NOYB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Norco sells them. Page 507 of 2009 dealer catalogue.

Last edited by Torchy McFlux; 01-30-09 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-27-09, 02:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Torchy McFlux
Norco part # 255140-02
Alloy QR seat clamp.
MSRP $8.
Page 507 of 2009 catalogue.
Where do you get this catalog? I can't find it on their website (assuming their website is norco.com).
Old 01-27-09, 11:56 PM
Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Norco part # 255140-02
Alloy QR seat clamp.
MSRP $8.
Page 507 of 2009 catalogue.

I have been looking for a 30mm seat clamp to fit a pitlock seat locking skewer for my LHT as well.

I have looked for the above norco post but can't find it either.

Please reference where we can purchase the clamp.

Thanks.

Dave
Old 01-28-09, 11:01 PM
Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bump
Old 01-30-09, 01:13 AM

Bikes: NOYB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry guys, I'm pretty sure operator works in a bike shop so he'd have access to that info. If you don't, then you won't.
Distributors won't sell to the general public, but any retailer in Canada that is a Norco P&A dealer can get these in for you.
I have no idea who sells ones like these in the States. My best guess would be QBP.
Old 01-30-09, 01:44 AM
Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did anyone try the Identiti 30mm seat post collar referenced above with a pitlock seatpost skewer ? Did it work ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.