Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Death driver already wanted by police

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-02, 11:17 PM
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This story appeared in today's Courier Mail (Brisbane's main rag) and was reproduced on the bikeqld mailing list. It also made the national news (JJJ radio) this morning.

The most tragic thing about this story is that none of it surprises me.

Ben Dorries and Jim Tucker
Courier Mail 14 Jan 2002

A WOMAN, 40, wanted in connection with the hit-and-run death of triathlete Luke Harrop already had an arrest warrant against her over a driving offence.

The warrant was issued when she failed to appear in court to face charges of driving while disqualified.

Mr Harrop's inconsolable family yesterday made the heartbreaking decision to switch off his life-support system, a day after he was hit by a car while training on his bike on the Gold Coast.

The popular sportsman, nicknamed Harry by the close-knit triathlon community, was pronounced dead at 1pm yesterday. His sister, former world triathlon champion and Sydney Olympian, Loretta, was by his bedside.

Earlier, two brain stem tests had proved negative.

Mr Harrop, 24, had been on life support since Saturday morning after he and fellow triathlete Craig O'Connell were struck by a stolen car as they were in a group cycling on a regular ride at Robina.

The woman motorist drove from the crash scene and was chased by a cyclist before she got into a scuffle with a man at a nearby fruit barn, then disappeared into bush.

Yesterday, police seeking the woman talked to her on her mobile phone.

Acting Det-Insp Bob Bennett said the woman had agreed to surrender herself to police but had failed to arrive at an agreed meeting place.

"She has broken an appointment to meet us . . . we had been urging her to come forward," he said.

O'Connell, 26, said from hospital the scene of the incident had looked like something out of a horror movie.

He said he heard a "horrible crunch", and turned to see Luke Harrop's bicycle on the bonnet of the out-of-control car.

"The next thing the car hit me and I went straight up on to the bonnet," O'Connell said.

"It carried me for a few seconds. Then I was dumped on to the road and I had to roll off and crawl out of the way of oncoming cars.

"It's pretty amazing that I'm still alive and not too badly injured."

O'Connell suffered fractured vertebrae and a fractured foot and even had cut marks from Harrop's bicycle chain on his back. He was later released from the Gold Coast Hospital.

Act Det-Insp Bennett said police knew the identity of the driver, who was believed to be from northern New South Wales.

He said witnesses reported she had been "fidgeting" in the car and had appeared to veer into the group of cyclists.

She abandoned the car, stolen on the Coast last week, and fled into bush near the Coco's fruit barn at Carrara.

Harrop and O'Connell had been training for yesterday's leg of the Australian triathlon series at Surfers Paradise.

Harrop's closest training mates choked back tears to compete in the second round of the series.

Emotions were raw and the grief all too public. It was only after the race that organisers broke the news that Harrop, 24, and the life of so many parties, had lost his fight to live.

Harrop had held the dream of representing Australia in triathlon at this year's Manchester Commonwealth Games with sister Loretta, the Sydney Olympian and former world champion.

She is inconsolable and there must be doubts she will race again after this latest tragedy.

Since the death of their mother, Dianne, from brain cancer in 1993, Loretta had been a mother figure as well as a loving sister to her kid brother.

She built an annual family get-together around last year's Noosa Triathlon and the festive atmosphere Luke thrived in.

"In the last two days, Luke has been surrounded by friends, family and the triathlon community. Luke's injuries were unfortunately so severe that not even his determination and strength could overcome them," the Harrop family said in a short statement yesterday.

"His love and zest for life touched everyone around him."

Olympian Miles Stewart broke down at the post-race news, race winner Courtney Atkinson barely held it together and tears flowed as the close-knit triathlon community went into tailspin.

"To me, this wasn't a national race . . . it was saying goodbye," a numb Stewart said as he was consoled by wife Kate.

"Luke was a great kid who lived life to the full. He never sat still for a moment."

Stewart, riding in a training pack behind Harrop, had attended his friend at the time of the hit-and-run at Robina when he sustained the serious head injuries that put him in the Gold Coast Hospital on a life-support system.
"Luke was a training partner of mine and very close friend to a lot of people in the sport," Atkinson said.

"The bike lap was a fitting tribute to him. I noticed some of the guys with a real sincere tear. Unless you are part of such a (close-knit) group, you can't understand what is being felt.

"Everyone went out there in that race trying to to win it for him. It didn't matter who did, it was all raced for him."

Harrop's flatmate Chris Hill, the world No. 1, withdrew from the race. The race numbers for Harrop's girlfriend Emma Snowsill and Loretta also were missing on a day when sport took a backseat.

Accenture Triathlon Series director Andrew Fraser said a formal tribute would be made to Harrop's memory at the third round of the series at St Kilda on January 27.
Old 01-14-02, 12:11 AM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks for posting this Allister. I actually work at Robina right now, and it is "on the way" to a couple of other rides I do occasionally. I only hope when the silly b*tch inevitably wipes herself out, that she doesn't take anymore people with her.

That is all.
Old 01-14-02, 12:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A WOMAN, 40, wanted in connection with the hit-and-run death of triathlete Luke Harrop already had an arrest warrant against her over a driving offence.

The warrant was issued when she failed to appear in court to face charges of driving while disqualified.

I love how they do not name the woman. Is the fact that she is "wanted" or that she had an outstanding warrant against her somehow in dispute?

I see they took her license away and she still drove. How unusual. I presume this "stolen" car didn't belong to a family member or friend.

Yesterday, police seeking the woman talked to her on her mobile phone.

Acting Det-Insp Bob Bennett said the woman had agreed to surrender herself to police but had failed to arrive at an agreed meeting place.

"She has broken an appointment to meet us . . . we had been urging her to come forward," he said.

They should have tried "Please, pretty please?" She probably fancies herself to be the victim.

He said witnesses reported she had been "fidgeting" in the car and had appeared to veer into the group of cyclists.

I wonder from where these witnesses were observing.

This story appeared in today's Courier Mail (Brisbane's main rag) and was reproduced on the bikeqld mailing list. It also made the national news (JJJ radio) this morning.

Not to belittle this tragedy but this reminds me somewhat of the time that Lance Armstrong was involved in a relatively minor incident with an ignorant motorist and the motorist received a relatively heavy penalty considering there was no personal injury AFAIK. It is unfortunate that it has to involve a celebrity to get the attention of the general public.

The most tragic thing about this story is that none of it surprises me.

Nor I. But then I'm told I'm cynical.

EDIT: Mistake in UBB tags.

Last edited by bikerider; 01-14-02 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-14-02, 01:01 AM

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
There's more. I just found this on yahoo.

Monday January 14, 04:23 PM

Hit-and-run suspect hangs up on police

A woman who Queensland police want to talk to in connection with the hit-and-run death of promising young triathlete Luke Harrop hung up on detectives when they contacted her today on a mobile phone.

The unemployed woman, described as being of Maori extraction, has long black hair, is 168cm tall and has acne markings on her skin.

She is is believed to have cuts to her face and arms and is still in the Gold Coast or Tweed Heads area. []

A woman driving a stolen car crashed into Harrop, 24, and Brisbane triathlete Craig O'Connell while they were on a training ride at Robina on the Gold Coast on Saturday morning.

Harrop died in hospital of severe head injuries.

O'Connell broke two vertebrae but has been released from hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.

Police Inspector Bob Bennett said detectives had attempted to speak with a Tweed Heads woman this morning but she ended the conversation by hanging up on investigators.

On Sunday the woman offered to meet police but failed to turn up at an arranged time.

Insp Bennett said it appeared the woman had gone to ground.

Police have issued a photograph of the woman but have not named her.

That is all.
Old 01-14-02, 01:51 AM
The Flying Scot

Bikes: Custom (Colin Laing) 531c fast tourer/audax, 1964 Flying Scot Continental, 1995 Cinelli Supercorsa, Holdsworth Mistral single speed, Dahon Speed 6 (folder), Micmo Sirocco and a few more

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
God, that's awful, but unfortunately not unusual. What'll she get charged with-- manslaughter or careless driving?

1985 Sandy Gilchrist-Colin Laing built 531c Audax/fast tourer.
1964 Flying Scot Continental (531)
1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (Columbus SLX)
1980s Holdsworth Mistral fixed (531)
2005 Dahon Speed 6 (folder)
(YES I LIKE STEEL)
2008 Viking Saratoga tandem
2008 Micmo Sirocco Hybrid (aluminium!)
2012 BTwin Rockrider 8.1
Old 01-14-02, 02:13 AM

Originally posted by chewa
God, that's awful, but unfortunately not unusual. What'll she get charged with-- manslaughter or careless driving?
In my view, it should be a blatant case of murder, but it will probably be something p!ss weak like "careless driving". Of course, if the murder weapon had been something other than a car, things might be different.

That is all.
Old 01-14-02, 05:08 AM
The Flying Scot

Bikes: Custom (Colin Laing) 531c fast tourer/audax, 1964 Flying Scot Continental, 1995 Cinelli Supercorsa, Holdsworth Mistral single speed, Dahon Speed 6 (folder), Micmo Sirocco and a few more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with you on that, but politico's value motorists and the industry more than someone who rides a bike.

1985 Sandy Gilchrist-Colin Laing built 531c Audax/fast tourer.
1964 Flying Scot Continental (531)
1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (Columbus SLX)
1980s Holdsworth Mistral fixed (531)
2005 Dahon Speed 6 (folder)
(YES I LIKE STEEL)
2008 Viking Saratoga tandem
2008 Micmo Sirocco Hybrid (aluminium!)
2012 BTwin Rockrider 8.1
Old 01-14-02, 07:35 AM
human

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Teramo, 2000 Marinoni Leggero, 2001 Kona Major Jake (with Campy Centaur), 1997 Specialized S-Works M2, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
She left the scene of the accident, she fled police, she renegged on an agreement to turn herself in. Methinks someone in a black robe and periwig will make a case for murder.

The Irregular Cycling Club of Montreal
Cycling irregularly since 2002
Old 01-14-02, 08:48 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
This case is SO blatant that a second-degree murder charge is warranted. Since she thinks nothing of stealing a car and driving without a license, she needs to be locked away for a few decades.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-14-02, 05:28 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 01-14-02, 05:32 PM
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A photo of the woman was all over TV last night. I haven't been able to find a picture on the net so far of this woman, but I swear she's a dead ringer for Satan's mother in law.

Here's the latest update from abc.net.au:

Posted: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 5:04 AEST

Alleged hit-and-run driver found

Brisbane police say they have found a 40-year-old woman wanted for questioning over the death of leading triathlete Luke Harrop.

Police say after a search in both Queensland and New South Wales, they found the woman in Brisbane in the early hours of this morning.

She is being questioned over the hit-and-run car accident on the Gold Coast last Saturday in which Harrop, 24, was struck.

He died on Sunday.
Now all we have to do is wait the three or four years it takes the justice system to do anything.
Old 01-15-02, 08:56 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
Now all we have to do is wait the three or four years it takes the justice system to do anything.
As long as they keep her locked up, the time delay doesn't bother me.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-15-02, 03:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This story just sickends me.

I do hope she gets what she deserves.
Old 01-15-02, 03:56 PM

Apparently she's up on 10 different charges from this thing. I'll post more when I can find it. I'm hoping she'll at least be banned from driving permanently.

That is all.
Old 01-15-02, 04:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Banning her from driving permantly won't work she was already banned when she did this(allegedly) so I think she should go spend some time in a penal institution.But it sounds like you have the same bleeding hearts there as we do here in Canada.If she had used a gun it would be murder but because it was a car it s a poor misguided accident.Give me a break!
Old 01-15-02, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by tourman
Banning her from driving permantly won't work she was already banned when she did this(allegedly) so I think she should go spend some time in a penal institution.
That too. Thrown in jail for driving while banned, and banned permanently from driving for what she did while driving with the ban. There's no reason for her to get a licence when she is released. I also saw her pic yesterday, and my reaction is the same as Allister's. I'm glad I saw it before I had lunch and not just after.

Here's something from the Gold Coast Bulletin:

Hit-run suspect held in custody
16Jan02

THE woman accused of the hit-and-run death of triathlete Luke Harrop faced a Brisbane court yesterday, charged with manslaughter and dangerous driving.

New Zealander Sandra Jaye Wilde, 41, appeared for a brief hearing in the Brisbane Magistrates Court after a three-day police hunt ended with her arrest in the suburb of Northgate at 1.30am yesterday.

Police would allege Wilde was under the influence of an intoxica- ting substance when she crashed a stolen Ford Laser sedan into Harrop and team-mate Craig O'Connell during a training ride on the Coast at 6.20am on Saturday.

Wilde, wearing a bright-green sarong and a brown jumper, sat in the dock with her back to the public gallery for most of the hearing.

Detectives swooped on a boarding house in Gympie Street after a tip-off from Wilde's new flatmate, who became aware of the manhunt after watching television news reports.

Police released a photograph of Wilde when she failed to surrender after two mobile phone conversations with police during their search for her in Brisbane and on the Gold Coast.

She faces a total of 10 charges. Magistrate Brian Zahner remanded her in custody to appear in Southport Magistrates Court on January 29.

That is all.
Old 01-30-02, 02:03 AM

Just an update here. She has apparently been charged with Manslaughter, Dangerous Driving of a Motor Vehicle Causing Death, Unlawful use of a Motor Vehicle and a sh*tload of other things. Evidently she'll be held in custody to appear again on May 1 for a committal hearing, although, frighteningly, a bail application is possible .

That is all.
Old 01-30-02, 06:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But she was drunk, that's a 'mitigating circumstance'.

If she has children, she is most likely to walk out of the court free.
Old 01-30-02, 10:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so sad, such a needless tragedy

In Texas
hit and run - felony
causes death - negligent homicide
stolen vehicle - felony
resisting arrest(hung up and didn't turn herself in) - probable felony at least the most serious misdemeanor
driving without a license - at least a misdemeanor

Prison time = most likely life or close to it
possibility of parol - doubtful, maybe after 20-30 years if shes lucky

(if the bicyclist would have been a police officer off duty or not she would have a 99.9999% chance of receiving the death penalty)

some of the things people have been arrested and gone to jail for here are failure to wear a seatbelt and secure children, unpaid parking tickets, unpaid child support etc...

Voting matters, contact your representative, make angy phone calls, followup with email and regular mail, go visit your police, do whatever to get this lady put away for a long time. no excuses
Old 01-30-02, 03:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by john999
But she was drunk, that's a 'mitigating circumstance'.

If she has children, she is most likely to walk out of the court free.
Sad but true.

Diamondback:

I doubt that she would get a stiff sentence in Texas - a decidedly anti-cyclist state if there was one - for killing a cyclist with her car.

In this case the motorist did not even get jail time:

https://bicycleaustin.com/justice/clough.html

Although the case is of an entirely different nature, it illustrates how lenient the prosecution is in cases where the victim is a cyclist.

Besides, in Texas criminally negligent homicide is a "State Jail Felony: 180 days - 2 years in jail; $10,000 also possible in addition to jail time".

However since she commited real crimes such as auto theft, she would likely get a stiff sentence despite killing a cyclist rather than because of it.

Of couse you are right about being diligent and vocal. However the fact remains that cyclists are the minority and as long as governments rule by public opinion polls then cyclists will always get the short end of the stick.

Last edited by bikerider; 01-30-02 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-06-02, 01:31 AM

Awww, WTF! Hey Bikerider, I think she should be subjected to a lifetime of ******! Waddya' reckon?

That is all.
Old 02-08-02, 12:26 AM
hyperactive ferret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Chris L
Awww, WTF! Hey Bikerider, I think she should be subjected to a lifetime of ******! Waddya' reckon?
You know, you've mentioned this "******" before, though you would not provide details. Being the inquisitive sort that I am, I researched the topic on my own. Big mistake.

I feel very dirty. I will never be clean again. You so suck Chris.
Old 02-08-02, 04:14 AM

Originally posted by LightBoy
I feel very dirty. I will never be clean again. You so suck Chris.
Hey, if you read the other thread, you couldn't say that I didn't warn you.

That is all.
Old 02-08-02, 11:15 PM
hyperactive ferret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know, I know. But still, it's just so...well, ICK!
Old 02-09-02, 02:18 AM

Originally posted by LightBoy
I know, I know. But still, it's just so...well, ICK!
Yeah, well, you don't think I would have sent anything nice to either this person or that spammer the other day now do you?

That is all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.