Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What do you think about the Dawes Super Galaxy or do you have any other suggestions?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What do you think about the Dawes Super Galaxy or do you have any other suggestions?

Old 04-15-04, 04:41 AM

Bikes: None, yet...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I am looking for two good touring bikes, for myself and my wife and my budget is £1000 ($1700) per bike. This lead me to the Dawes Super Galaxy which incidentily I have found for a stonking £600 in the form of last years model. Does any of you have any experienc with this bike (any year model)?
It is the first time I'm shopping for a touring bike, so I don't know a lot about the diferent tubings. The 2003 Super Galaxy has Reynolds 531 frame tubing and the 2004 model has an 853 frame. Is there a big difference in the two? One that will make a significant difference in riding experience?
I see Thorn is mentioned a bit on these pages. Why is it regarded so highly? Is it the frame or anything in particular that warants its popularity?
Are there any other good bikes I should be considering in this price range? I am not limited to order from a particular part of the world so any suggestions are apreciated.

My intention is to use the bike for fully loaded camping touring mainly on surfaced roads with quite a bit of climbing since I am plannign a longer tour in the Alps.

TIA for any feedback.

Ketil
Old 04-15-04, 05:55 AM

Bikes: Tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a 2002 super galaxy, identical model to the 03. For the money it's pretty much unbeatable. The new model is a compact frame (sloping top tube) and the 853 a lighter and probebly stiffer material. Thorns use the same material but mostly use a smaller wheel, which is more universal if you plan to tour the world - spares etc.
If you are planning to stay in Europe then I wouldn't worry. The Super G comes with all racks and guards, STI shifters and is an incredibly comfortable bike, the tyres are chunky (32mm) and bullet proof and most of the equipment is mountain bike stuff, built to last with minium up keep. If you go for the Dawes then the money you save could get you completely kitted out with panniers and all other creature comforts.
The Super G has slightly gone out of fashion as Dawes were going through various take overs etc and took their eye off the ball for a few years while the competition caught up. Thorns use practical the same gear but are way dearer. Another company that has won 'Best Tourer' for the past 2 years is Hewitt. These are handbuilt frames, the geometery, as with Thorn, are different from Dawes and may be lighter, but if you are using it for a fully loaded tour then you may not notice.
https://www.hewittbikefitting.co.uk/
The Super G is still exceptional, for £600 it's an awful lot of bike for the money. Thorn and Hewitt are built in the UK which probably account for the higher price (dawes now built in Far East), with Hewitt you will get measured and the frame built specifically for you. Hewitts start at about £899, Thorns maybe a bit more.
Old 04-15-04, 08:58 AM
X-Large Member

Bikes: 2004 Rivendell Atlantis, 2004 Thorn eXp, 2004 Bob Brown Cycles Custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's some info on Thorn's Nomad tourer... you may find it interesting in answering your questions.

https://www.sjscycles.com/thorn/26sol...002/solop9.asp

and their complete line of 26 inch tourers...

https://www.sjscycles.com/thorn/26sol...2/contents.asp
Old 04-15-04, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
See also, Orbit, they are a well established maker of value touring bikes.
You won't go wrong with a Dawes, it is pretty standard issue for UK touring club members.
Old 04-15-04, 11:57 AM
X-Large Member

Bikes: 2004 Rivendell Atlantis, 2004 Thorn eXp, 2004 Bob Brown Cycles Custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've always liked the Dawes Sardur... just wish it was more easily available here in the States. It's what the 520 should be these days but isn't in term of kit and extras.
Old 04-22-04, 12:14 PM

Bikes: none at present

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kkarstad
Hi,

I am looking for two good touring bikes, for myself and my wife and my budget is £1000 ($1700) per bike. This lead me to the Dawes Super Galaxy which incidentily I have found for a stonking £600 in the form of last years model. Does any of you have any experienc with this bike (any year model)?
It is the first time I'm shopping for a touring bike, so I don't know a lot about the diferent tubings. The 2003 Super Galaxy has Reynolds 531 frame tubing and the 2004 model has an 853 frame. Is there a big difference in the two? One that will make a significant difference in riding experience?
I see Thorn is mentioned a bit on these pages. Why is it regarded so highly? Is it the frame or anything in particular that warants its popularity?
Are there any other good bikes I should be considering in this price range? I am not limited to order from a particular part of the world so any suggestions are apreciated.

My intention is to use the bike for fully loaded camping touring mainly on surfaced roads with quite a bit of climbing since I am plannign a longer tour in the Alps.

TIA for any feedback.

Ketil
Alright mate, ive had adwaes super for a while and it is good only swapped because of wheel size(need 26inch) id recomend it as very sturdy good under load and very reliable. That said if youve got a grand to play with id look at bob jackson, they just finished making me a 26inch tourer with all braze ons, and super paintjob the service was excellent, they care unlike s9ome ie thorn, that guy is an arsehole who doesnt really care about bikes or rider more into the money as far i can tell. An example of this is in the paint work, thoirn state that paint chips as a fact, hence why bother with a quality paint job as youll only need to touch it up, at bob jacksons i watched a they beat a painted peoice of tube for nye on 5 minutes it only cracked round the edges where the tubes buckled, it seems that paint chips is a way to say our paint will chip, they had a frame that had scratched on the hanging peg not exactly tough wearing however you cut it
My new frame and forks cost 425 handbuilt truly in uk by master craftsman who dont cut corners, most thorns are made in taiwan now, those that arent are sub contracted out to a chap inthe midlands, unless you pay top dollar then they are made by a man trained by Bob Jackson anyway. At the price ive paid you would still have enough for a good groupset ie deore lx and extras, bob jackson do a off the peg tourer for 350 i think if you dont want or need the custom. Check out their website its very informative.
THat said the super is exactly that super, only prob in my book is wheel size its like they havent moved forward but if 27 inche wheels is ok there really is no need to splash out extra cash because its great at what it is for
Old 06-26-04, 04:05 AM

Bikes: Brompton folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In England I think its the best but very expensive to buy new..
Old 08-16-04, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using a Dawes Super Galaxy for the past 7 years, having probably covered in excess of 30,000 miles on it. This was to replace a Dawes Horizon which had been used for about 4 years, only being replaced due to a tube shearing in half.

Dawes replaced the frame within a week and gave me an upgrade to a Super Galaxy.

I deffo recommend then as a touring / commuting bike
Old 08-20-04, 10:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings,

Had a Galaxy , not a Super but taken it to places & situations where a mountain bike would be more suited for. Its passed with flying colours & is still going strong. Couldn't comment on the other brands.
Old 08-21-04, 08:38 AM
Re Member

Bikes: little red tricycle

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an old(er) Dawes Super Galaxy and I was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions on finding out what year it was made.

Also, I would like to convert the bike to have the flat/upright handlebars because I think it might be more comfortable for me to ride.

Thanks,
Old 06-05-05, 06:57 AM
Feral Member

Bikes: yes, I have one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dubwoy
Alright mate, ive had adwaes super for a while and it is good only swapped because of wheel size(need 26inch) id recomend it as very sturdy good under load and very reliable. That said if youve got a grand to play with id look at bob jackson, they just finished making me a 26inch tourer with all braze ons, and super paintjob the service was excellent, they care unlike s9ome ie thorn, that guy is an arsehole who doesnt really care about bikes or rider more into the money as far i can tell. An example of this is in the paint work, thoirn state that paint chips as a fact, hence why bother with a quality paint job as youll only need to touch it up, at bob jacksons i watched a they beat a painted peoice of tube for nye on 5 minutes it only cracked round the edges where the tubes buckled, it seems that paint chips is a way to say our paint will chip, they had a frame that had scratched on the hanging peg not exactly tough wearing however you cut it
My new frame and forks cost 425 handbuilt truly in uk by master craftsman who dont cut corners, most thorns are made in taiwan now, those that arent are sub contracted out to a chap inthe midlands, unless you pay top dollar then they are made by a man trained by Bob Jackson anyway. At the price ive paid you would still have enough for a good groupset ie deore lx and extras, bob jackson do a off the peg tourer for 350 i think if you dont want or need the custom. Check out their website its very informative.
THat said the super is exactly that super, only prob in my book is wheel size its like they havent moved forward but if 27 inche wheels is ok there really is no need to splash out extra cash because its great at what it is for
PUNCTUATION PLEASE!!!
You write like you're on speed. Take a breath, man.
Old 06-05-05, 07:19 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Never had a Dawes but have lusted after them for years I did have Bob Jackson with the 531 frameset years ago, it was the most comfortable bike I have ever owned. I have seen a couple of Dawes Galaxies here in the states and the owners had nothing but high praise for them. I prefer steel, but I am "old school", make sure you treat the inside of the tubeset to avoid rust out. Other than that I don't think you can go wrong.

Aaron