Triathlon - Cannondale?
Bikeforums.net is a forum about nothing but bikes. Our community can help you find information about hard-to-find and localized information like bicycle tours, specialties like where in your area to have your recumbent bike serviced, or what are the best bicycle tires and seats for the activities you use your bike for.
01-02-09, 08:46 AM
I recently posted in the MTB forums regarding purchasing my first bike. I'd eventually like to start getting into tri's, but because of the prices, figured I'd start with a MTB..However, came across this ad on craigslist for a cannondale...was wondering if you guys could take a look and shed some ligh for a newbie..good deal?
01-10-09, 05:26 AM
Both bikes seem a bit overpriced. The first bike for $650 you are a bit too close to buying an entry level road bike brand new. The second bike is what I ride. I have a used Cannondale Ironman 600, I believe it is a 2003 model. These usually sell for around 500-600 used. You might want to look at building your own from a brand like Leader. My opinion is don't get sucked into these high end tri bikes. You can't buy speed, save your money and work on the engine. Nothing makes me feel better then passing those high end carbon bikes. (Sorry high end carbon fiber bike owners).
01-10-09, 06:26 AM
Dan: run for the hills on these two bikes. You can get a new full out tri bike for $1,200 look into a schwin, trek, felt, and many others. This way you know it fits. If you have that much $$ tospend just go new.
01-10-09, 08:03 AM
On a related note, I've been completely unimpressed by the majority of used bike prices on ebay and craigslist in the past 2 years. There are deals to be had for sure, but I'd guesstimate that 80%+ of the bikes out there are priced way too high for their used value given then overall lowered retail prices today, and most of the remaining 20% don't match well due to size/fit/etc.
As much as I believe bikes last nearly forever, there's nothing wrong with going with a new bike and riding the heck out of it for years. Even these new bikes often present values - above and beyond Ebay Craigslist.
01-10-09, 09:22 AM
On the other hand, I have been really lucky with CL. I got a 2006 Cannondale Six13 Slice 1 w/full Dura Ace, for a great deal. If I had spent the equivalent amount on a new bike, I would not have gotten anywhere even a third as nice of a bike.
My roadie, same thing. As well as my MTB.
I admit, there is nothing wrong with buying new, but if you are patient, you can find great deals on CL as well.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.12 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.