Old 03-24-09, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tour de Phoenix at risk for Cancellation

An email from Sterling Baer

Dear friends and valley cyclists,

While we were successful in securing a permit to allow the Tour de Phoenix to NOT be cancelled, certain new restrictions levied on host Perimeter Bicycling (PBAA) since that time have greatly burdened this event...even to point of consideration of cancelling it and refunding everyone's money altogether. I was invited to represent the Red Mountain Brumbys last week at the PBAA Board Meeting and met with Richard DeBernardis, PBAA President, and his Board to discuss the status of the Tour and make a decision of go or no go. We concluded that cancelling was not an option as it would actually cost additional money to cancel it, so it was concluded that it needed to continue as planned for the good of all Cyclists, our Community and the City of Mesa.

Unfortunately however this decision was taken looking at the likelihood of the event losing significant money and not even being able to pass excess funds to the Charities that were committed to. This is unacceptable and it is precisely because of unecessary new requirements imposed, specifically on the section of Bush Highway, by the Maricopa County Dep of Transportation (MCDOT) and because of these new restrictions even more requirements by the Forrest Service, most of which are not needed.

This race has been conducted for 17 years without a single incident along this stretch of Highway and now in its a18 year the following has been imposed:

1. The entire Southbound Lane from the Beeline to the 4-way Stop at Usery must be shut down.
2. Electronic Signs must be up 2 weeks in advance to the public notifying of the closure (These signs are expensive and are already up right now)
3. The entire 9 miles will be coned off (this is a significant safety hazard to cyclists)
4. Since there will only be one lane open to traffice, there must be 14 additional Police Officers placed at every possible exit on the north bound lane for boaters etc.

These are the highlights of the primary additional restrictions, which all told have significantly increased costs over 2008 and previous years. When PBAA met with MCDOT , I was told that the former Bicycle Transportation Coordinator (who is a cyclist and has done the Tour) lobbied heavily against imposing these new requirements and specifically shutting down Bush Highway and placing cones. Unfortunately the Transportation Engineer overrulled this position and implemented the restriction.

My purpose in sending this note to you is to solicit your help in retracting the need to shut down Bush. If MCDOT simply removed this requirement, then the cost of the electronic signs for the next two weeks, most of the additional Police Officers (we agree that a few are probably a good new requirement but not 14) and the cost of placing cones along this 9 mile stretch would all be eliminated. Doing this would at least put PBAA at an almost break even on their costs.

So this is what I would like every Red Mountain Brumbys cyclist to do and ask you to forward to every cyclist in the greater Metro Phoenix Valley and Tucson where over 65% of the almost 1200 cyclists who will participate in the race come from.

Please send a polite email to the following email IDs asking them to remove the restriction to close Bush Highway. State that you have ridden the race before and please note that there has never been an incident in the 17 year history of this event. State that this is a safe section of road early on a Sat morning and that you have ridden in the south bound direction with little to no cars or boaters, who are the primary reason this decision was taken. As you know, 90% of the boaters come from the Mesa/Valley area and travel north to Saguaro Lake. Please state that you and thousands of Valley Cyclists do not want to see this event cancelled due to cost overruns and that you want to see the Charities that your donatations were made to along with your registration fees be able to support those committed to. Please tell them that this Community in Mesa is a wonderful place to cycle and that we need more facilitation of events like with reasonable safety restrictions enforced.

Please send this email to:

Mayor Scott Smith at <mayor.smith@mesaaz.gov> Thank him for his support in getting the permit issued for us and ask for his help again to reduce these restricions
Mayor Smith's Assistant Nikki <nikki.amberg@mesaaz.gov>
John Counts, MCDOT <JohnCounts@mail.maricopa.gov>
Nicolaas Swart MCDOT <nicolaasswart@mail.maricopa.gov>
John Hauskins MCDOT <johnhauskins@mail.maricopa.gov>
James Candland MCDOT <candlandj@mail.maricopa.gov>

I am the sole person making this request right now of everyone. MCDOT got upset and took it out on PBAA perceving that they had done a back door on them to get the Permit Approved in the first place, when I was the sole person pushing this through Mayor Smith and Maricopa Co Board of Director Tom Stapley as a citizen and cyclist. PBAA had already decided to cancel when I did this. Then when the permit was approved, the Forrest Service was upset that Bush Highway was closed to their constituents and issued further restrictions. It is important that we as cyclists raise our voices as citizens and express our displeasure in a time of great economic turmoil, that we do not need more bureaucratic decisions costing us as tax payers more money at this time, and that we only request reason prevail given the safe history of this event.

We MUST save this Event and make it possible for it to thrive in the future for generations to come!

LASTLY, AND THIS IS ALSO VERY IMPORTANT! IF YOU HAVE NOT SIGNED UP FOR THE TOUR DE PHOENIX AND INTEND TO DO SO, PLEASE DO IT NOW. WE NEED TO SUPPORT THIS VALLEY EVENT AND MAKE IT BECOME THE PREMIER EVENT JUST LIKE THE TOUR DE TUCSON. THERE IS NO REASON WHY EVERY CYCLIST WHO DID THE TOUR DE TUCSON SHOULD NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS EVENT. IF YOU ARE IN SHAPE TO RIDE EITHER DISTANCE OR TO DO THE KIDS RIDE WITH YOUR CHILDREN, PLEASE SIGN UP AS THIS WILL DRIVE MORE REVENUES THAT WILL OFFSET POSSIBLE LOSSES.

THE LINK TO REGISTER IS BELOW. THANKS!!!!

Sterling Baer
Red Mountain Brumbys Cycling
Office: 480-641-0755 Cell: 480-710-4983
email: sabaer@us.ibm.com
Old 03-26-09, 08:51 PM

Bikes: Tarmac sl2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i hope it doenst get cancled.. i'm in!
Old 03-27-09, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
Sorry, but due to the narrowness of the road, the lack of shoulders and the numerous sharp blind curves, I believe MCDOT is totally correct about this.

Our club held a ride out there earlier this year, and I refused to ride Bush Hwy out to Beeline.

"We've never had an accident" is no excuse. This is an accident waiting to happen.

Given the abundance of safer areas to ride, this route should be abandoned in future years. This is where Mr. Baer should focus his energy, and I will send him an email advising him so.
Old 03-29-09, 06:10 PM

Bikes: Felt F4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Bush Highway is OK for a couple people, but I even get nervous about that..a couple hundred people..I guess I can see the point..
Old 03-29-09, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
As promised, I contacted Mr. Baer this weekend. Let's just say that he did not think my concern was valid. (But then, when did anyone organizing a petition about a perceived unfairness, ever change their mind.)

It's too bad that the event company "PBAA" didn't have a backup plan or an alternate route. Instead, it appears (on their web forum, and it's stated in the petition email above) that they are whining about the increased costs, because it lowers the payout to charity. This attitude stuns me - how could improving safety on a very unsafe section of road, possibly be seen as a bad thing for an event of this size. I realize they are claiming a perfect safety record, but there are just too many spots on that road where passing cars and a bike can't occupy the road together. I would never organize a group ride on a road like that, unless the road was closed. Why put people at risk for no good reason? There are too many better and safer places to ride.

Last edited by LarryMelman; 03-29-09 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-05-09, 12:55 PM

Bikes: Tarmac sl2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i flatted out on the b-line! so much junk and debris on that highway.. that was fun as hell tho, great ride/race!
Old 05-29-09, 03:00 PM
brokenblackhole

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
bummage