Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

27 inch Tires

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

27 inch Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-04, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
27 inch Tires

1. Where can I get these? Do they come in fancy colors (red, blue, etc) like the 700c's?
2. Would 700c tubes fit 27 inch wheels?

Thanks.
Old 06-11-04, 02:44 PM
One knee is enough

Bikes: 1978 Fuji - now fixed and pegged. 1980s Cannondale Touring - pegged with 18 speeds. 2001 Cannondale CADD 3 - not being ridden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
27 inch tires are available at every bike shop I've ever been to and at discount stores too. There's not as much variety available as almost all quality bikes in the last 20 years or so have been sold with 700C instead of 27", so you're not likely to find "fancy colors".

The difference is small enough that one size tubes fit either size. In fact, I've never seen a tube purporting to fit one but not the other.
Old 06-11-04, 07:16 PM
silvertip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nashbar sells of couple of models of 27 inch tire that are a little better than what you might find at Wal-mart or your LBS (at least at MY LBS), which can usually be inflated only to about 80-90 lbs. I have a set of Vittoria 32's that I run at 120 lbs.
Old 06-11-04, 11:04 PM
The Rabbi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If its a Schwinn beware that a Schwinn 27" is not the same as a standard 27" in many cases.
Old 06-11-04, 11:54 PM
meb

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by seely
If its a Schwinn beware that a Schwinn 27" is not the same as a standard 27" in many cases.
Could you elaborate?
Old 06-12-04, 12:46 AM
The Rabbi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Schwinn uses their own size 26" and 27" tires on many of their Chicago era bikes. Some are designated "S6" for 26" I think. Anyways, a regular 27x1 1/4 will not fit on a 27x 1 3/8 (typical Schwinn size if i recall correctly) Schwinn rim and vice-versa... its incredibly confusing, and frustrating, but the diameter of the wheel and tire are actually different from a industry standard 26 and 27. Schwinn also had their own 20". I HAVE seen people get on the regular size tire (NO idea how) but then we usually have to cut the tire off the rim with cable cutters.

I discovered this early in my career as a bike mechanic when I was doing a tube change and grabbed a 20x1 3/8" tube off the shelf. It wouldn't fit no matter what... it was just too big. Then the boss came over and pointed out that anything ending in x 1 3/8" is typically a Schwinn size and wont fit in a standard tire.
Old 06-12-04, 07:55 AM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I own a early Giant made Scwhinn (World Tourist model) and
it came with 27 x 1 3/8 tires on it. When I took it in for a
tune up and tire replacement (age)the dealer had to special
order a 1 3/8 gum wall to replace the original tires. From
what the dealer told me is that if I wanted to 1 1/4 tires
will fit.

However, I know Schwinn did build stuff that wasn't "normal"
when it came to wheels so my question is this.......

Since my bike (and others from this time period) were built
by Giant and not Scwhinn in Chicago will 1 1/4 tires fit on
Giant made rims??
Old 06-12-04, 12:15 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Specialize carries a couple of different size 27 tires: the Tri Sport is a inexpensive 27" road tire at about $10; the All Condition Armadillo Tire is their best 27" road tire and includes the famous Armadillo flat protection for $30. The Specialize tire is a far better tire than the Performance label. Continental Ultra Gatorskin also comes in a 27" for about $35; Panaracer Pasela Tg Road Tire makes 1/4 and 1/8 size 27's for about $20; Vittoria Zafirro about $18; IRC Triathalon Duro about $17; and so on. There are plenty of 27's still being made just take your pick. Nashbar sells all the tires I mentioned except for the Specialize, either order the Specialize from your LBS or go here: https://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProd...5632&xsrc=1063 Click on tires then road and look for the models I mentioned.

The Schwinn will not work because their sizes follow the beat of a different drummer.
Old 06-12-04, 02:22 PM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by froze
Specialize carries a couple of different size 27 tires: the Tri Sport is a inexpensive 27" road tire at about $10; the All Condition Armadillo Tire is their best 27" road tire and includes the famous Armadillo flat protection for $30. The Specialize tire is a far better tire than the Performance label. Continental Ultra Gatorskin also comes in a 27" for about $35; Panaracer Pasela Tg Road Tire makes 1/4 and 1/8 size 27's for about $20; Vittoria Zafirro about $18; IRC Triathalon Duro about $17; and so on. There are plenty of 27's still being made just take your pick. Nashbar sells all the tires I mentioned except for the Specialize, either order the Specialize from your LBS or go here: https://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProd...5632&xsrc=1063 Click on tires then road and look for the models I mentioned.

The Schwinn will not work because their sizes follow the beat of a different drummer.
Ok, so if I read your response correctly because my bike
isn't a true Chicago built Schwinn but a Giant made Schwinn
I.....can....swap in 27 x 1 1/4 tires if I want/need to??

If so this is GOOD news as the Ultra Gatorskin is my tire
of choice. (I just hate flats!)
Old 06-12-04, 02:40 PM
meb

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Schwinn uses their own size 26" and 27" tires on many of their Chicago era bikes. Some are designated "S6" for 26" I think. Anyways, a regular 27x1 1/4 will not fit on a 27x 1 3/8 (typical Schwinn size if i recall correctly) Schwinn rim and vice-versa... its incredibly confusing, and frustrating, but the diameter of the wheel and tire are actually different from a industry standard 26 and 27. Schwinn also had their own 20". I HAVE seen people get on the regular size tire (NO idea how) but then we usually have to cut the tire off the rim with cable cutters.

I discovered this early in my career as a bike mechanic when I was doing a tube change and grabbed a 20x1 3/8" tube off the shelf. It wouldn't fit no matter what... it was just too big. Then the boss came over and pointed out that anything ending in x 1 3/8" is typically a Schwinn size and wont fit in a standard tire.
I have 27 X 1 1/8 tires needing replacement soon on a Chicago era Super Sport. You didn't explicitly discuss the 1 1/18 width, does that tire differ in size from standard 27 X 1 1/8 still easily available. Does that mean the 27 X 1 and 27 X 7/8 tires will not fit my Schwinn rims? ( I also have a bent front rim needing replacement simultaneously, been waiting ttill I get a new axle and evaluate the derailer damage caused by the freed wheel upon axle snap)

Before your post, I had been under the impression that it was a fractional size stamp vs. a decimal size stamp on Schwinn 27" tires. You implied that it is not just a fractional vs. decilmal stamp issue. Old Scwhinn 26 & 20 use odd sizing accross the board.

You've implied the Schwinn rims have larger diameters since the non Schwinn tires appear tight on Schwinn rims-or were you fitting Schwinn tires on non-Schwinn rims?

If my rims are not ISO 630, what diameter are they?

Thanks

Last edited by meb; 06-12-04 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-12-04, 07:27 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm not an expert in this Schwinn tire stuff. I know that I went to an LBS to get a tire for a MTB and the tire was too large in diameter even though the size stampings on both tires were the same; upon taking the tire back, the LBS said they accidently sold me a Schwinn sized tire. Now as far as this happening to Chicago or Giant era bikes, or whether or not this oddity applied to all or certain road bikes is beyond me. I do have a friend that has a Chicago era Schwinn Super Sport in stock condition and he never had problems finding tires and doesn't even mention to the LBS's he has a Schwinn.

So when I mentioned Schwinn will not work I was referring to tires made for Schwinn-those tires sizes are not the same as what the rest of us would buy.
Old 06-12-04, 09:38 PM
The Rabbi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Schwinn is so freaking bizarre I can't possibly begin to understand how/what/where got the special wierd sized tires and what didn't. Its anybody's guess as to what would fit what. Confirmed today while repairing a Continental that the Schwinn 27" is a different size than a standard 27" as a std. 27" tube did not fit.
Old 06-13-04, 12:05 AM
meb

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Schwinn is so freaking bizarre I can't possibly begin to understand how/what/where got the special wierd sized tires and what didn't. Its anybody's guess as to what would fit what. Confirmed today while repairing a Continental that the Schwinn 27" is a different size than a standard 27" as a std. 27" tube did not fit.
With thought in mind, anyone have a source for new Schwinn/Schwinn compatible 27 X 1 1/8 tires.
I assume the Continental used 27 X 1 1/8. So, since it appears Schwinn 27 are not ISO 630, does anyone know what the ISO size the Scwhinn 27 X 1 1/8 tires are?
Old 06-13-04, 12:09 AM
The Rabbi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Schwinn DID use some ISO 26 and 27" tyres... the only ones I know for sure aren't are the 27x 1 3/8 since thats the only Schwinn size tube I have ever seen... the 27x1 3/8 tube boxes dont give a size range as is normal with the standard ISO sizes.
Old 06-13-04, 01:17 AM
NOT a weight weenie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meb
With thought in mind, anyone have a source for new Schwinn/Schwinn compatible 27 X 1 1/8 tires.
Yes I can get them all day long.
Old 06-15-04, 12:09 PM
MidlifeCrisis

Bikes: Centurion Sport dlx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SchreiberBike
27 inch tires are available at every bike shop I've ever been to and at discount stores too. There's not as much variety available as almost all quality bikes in the last 20 years or so have been sold with 700C instead of 27", so you're not likely to find "fancy colors".

The difference is small enough that one size tubes fit either size. In fact, I've never seen a tube purporting to fit one but not the other.
You would think this to be true but I had a heck of a time here in Atlanta trying to find 27" tires of half-decent quality. Finally found a 'conti' at REI but they had to call another store to find me a second one (and they only had one as well). The local bike stores only seem to have 700cc tires and the sporting goods stores carry trash. You are correct, however, that the 700cc tubes fit fine in 27" tires but there seems to be a good chance that you will end up converting from schraeder to presta when switching to 700cc tubes. Since that was the case with mine, do I need to be concerned about the oversized hole in the rim? I picked up adapters for my floor pump and my frame pump is convertable but I have not yet found a pressure guage (other than that on the floor pump).
Old 06-15-04, 01:39 PM
One knee is enough

Bikes: 1978 Fuji - now fixed and pegged. 1980s Cannondale Touring - pegged with 18 speeds. 2001 Cannondale CADD 3 - not being ridden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dlloyd
do I need to be concerned about the oversized hole in the rim?
I have just put presta tubes in rims drilled for shrader valves and had no problems. I often put some extra strapping tape on the inside of the rim at the valve hole to make the hole a little smaller.

I hesitate to recommend this, but it has worked for me.
Old 06-17-04, 08:20 AM
Uff Da!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 90 Posts
The Schwinn 27" size is the same as all others. It is the 630mm bead seat diameter that all 27" rims use. The Schwinn 26"(and some other smaller ones as well) are the funky ones. The Schwinn 26" for S5 and S6 rims is 597mm bead seat diameter as opposed to the more common 590mm bead seat diameter.