Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

SRAM powerlink w/ Shimano chain?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-04, 09:32 AM
Senior, Senior Member

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

The SRAM package says "don't do it!" but an old post I ran across here says that the combo works fine. Any experiences?

The Ultegra chain I have is pretty new so I'm not too keen on replacing it yet, but I *would* like to install a master link...

Thanks
Old 06-17-04, 10:28 AM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Neither Shimano or SRAM recommend it. But plenty do it.

I do it. I haven't had any problem (but I carry Powerlink spares just in case)

Other opinions via Google

https://groups.google.com/groups?q=sr...-8&sa=N&tab=wg
Old 06-17-04, 10:41 AM
Senior, Senior Member

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks dobber! Forgot all about Google (for once) --good info

BTW: *this* looks like what I'm really looking for: https://www.lickbike.com/productpage....9;0338-00'

Last edited by ExMachina; 06-17-04 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-17-04, 11:28 AM
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I use the SRAM link on my Shimano chains with no problems. SRAM enginneers will tell you that it was designed specifically for their chains and thus, it hasn't been tested for anything else. SRAM marketing will tell you NOT to use it on anything other than a SRAM chain - hmmmm, I wonder why?

55/Rad
Old 06-17-04, 12:24 PM
The Cycling Photographer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'vebeen using it for over a year now.. 1800 miles in and no problems whatsoever

jeff
Old 06-17-04, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
I use the SRAM link on my Shimano chains with no problems. SRAM enginneers will tell you that it was designed specifically for their chains and thus, it hasn't been tested for anything else. SRAM marketing will tell you NOT to use it on anything other than a SRAM chain - hmmmm, I wonder why?

55/Rad
It's called "Product Liability". If you use something other than for it's intended purpose and you end up getting injured as a result, the manufacturer could be sued. With SRAM saying "don't do it", they are covering they collectives asses.
Old 06-17-04, 01:09 PM
Former Hoarder

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Trek Rider
It's called "Product Liability". If you use something other than for it's intended purpose and you end up getting injured as a result, the manufacturer could be sued. With SRAM saying "don't do it", they are covering they collectives asses.
I'd argue it's more of a stretegic marketing decision. While I agree they are covering their collective asses, a whole lot of discussion took place at some point about the cost and merits of testing their product on other, non SRAM chains against the desire to get people to buy SRAM chains in the first place.

It's hard for me to believe that the lawyers won out in this case.

55/Rad
Old 06-17-04, 01:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd argue it's more of a stretegic marketing decision. While I agree they are covering their collective asses, a whole lot of discussion took place at some point about the cost and merits of testing their product on other, non SRAM chains against the desire to get people to buy SRAM chains in the first place.

It's hard for me to believe that the lawyers won out in this case.

55/Rad
I find it to be too much of a coincidence that the SRAM and Shimano chains have the same specs. SRAM knew going in that people would buy their PowerLink and use it on a Shimano chain. Otherwise, they would have changed the width on their chain enough so that it wouldn't work. By designing the PowerLink to work on both chains was a marketing decision, but the lawyers also got in the "don't use it on Shimano" bit to protect themselves.
Old 06-17-04, 01:15 PM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That "Super Link' is just a Power Link knock off it doesn't do anything special just get the SRAM
Old 06-17-04, 01:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been using SRAM link with all my Shimano chains for 2 year without a problem.
Old 06-17-04, 02:30 PM
Former Hoarder

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Trek Rider
I find it to be too much of a coincidence that the SRAM and Shimano chains have the same specs. SRAM knew going in that people would buy their PowerLink and use it on a Shimano chain. Otherwise, they would have changed the width on their chain enough so that it wouldn't work. By designing the PowerLink to work on both chains was a marketing decision, but the lawyers also got in the "don't use it on Shimano" bit to protect themselves.
Testing and substantiating the P-Link to work on Shimano chains wouldn't be a big expensive process. With that accomplished, SRAM then could use it to promote the product and put it right there on the box - "works great on Shimano chains!" (as well as other brands if tested) and potentially sell a whole lot more $4 links. I surmise that they strategically and consciously chose not to do this and took the opposite approach in an effort to make the link appear more exclusive and thus, sell more $20 SRAM chains.

55/Rad
Old 06-17-04, 02:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Testing and substantiating the P-Link to work on Shimano chains wouldn't be a big expensive process. With that accomplished, SRAM then could use it to promote the product and put it right there on the box - "works great on Shimano chains!" (as well as other brands if tested) and potentially sell a whole lot more $4 links. I surmise that they strategically and consciously chose not to do this and took the opposite approach in an effort to make the link appear more exclusive and thus, sell more $20 SRAM chains.

55/Rad
I think you're partly right. SRAM knows it will work on Shimano and they also know that people are using it on Shimano chains. I've had LBS's tell me that it works, so I doubt they are losing many sales that way. But by saying "don't use it on Shiamno", they do get some additional sales for their chains, and they are still covered if something goes wrong, say Shimano changes the design ever-so-slightly and as a result, makes a compatability issue arise.
Old 06-18-04, 05:57 AM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sram aquired the Power/Super Link from Sachs when they bought them.

Don't use a Shimano chain. You can't fix one trail/road side without a special pin.
Old 06-18-04, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used it that way until I got tired of the Shimano chain. The lbs claims that they will fail at half the normal milage on a Shimano chain. Not for me as I don't like Shimano chains and only use them for a while when they come on a new bike.

Al
Old 06-18-04, 09:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDan
Sram aquired the Power/Super Link from Sachs when they bought them.

Don't use a Shimano chain. You can't fix one trail/road side without a special pin.

That is why I carry a spare pin and a spare Powerlink. If I come across someone with a broken chain, I can help them out (or me).
Old 06-18-04, 10:36 AM

Bikes: Trek 5.2, Rocky mountain Hammer, K2 Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1800+ miles on current Shimano nine speed and SRAM link. Interestingly when I first got my bike, it did not have the SRAM link. I installed on my own. I did not take the time to locate the Shimano "master pin". I replaced randomly in the chain. About 800 miles later the Shimano master pin failed while climbing. Chain link opened caught and took the deraliure over the top of the cog - big mess. Bike shop kindly replaced der. (I love my LBS!) but they refused to install new chain with SRAM link unless I signed a waiver, no worries for me, I signed - and the irony was not lost on them either. So, 1800 miles later, and no problems.
Old 06-18-04, 01:08 PM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I concur, I've used my Power Link on my Shimano chains since the Power link first hit the market. Makes cleaning the chain off the bike so much easier. Which in turn extends chain life!!!!

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 06-19-04, 05:38 PM

Bikes: American Breezer mtb, American Classic ti road bike w/SRAM Force and XO, Crotch Rocket, SOMA 69'er w/XX-1 mtb, Handsome Shop Bike w/700c wheels. Bianchi SS 'cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a good example of the fact that it's possible to mix & match many manufacturers' cycling components, pieces, parts, etc., and get decent, equal, and sometimes better performance. Of course you do this at your own risk and if a failure occurs, no matter the outcome, it's rightfully "your" problem! The key is there're many folks who refuse to take personal responsibility for anything and therein lies the issue. Having made that point, I can say that over the past 30 years I've experimented with lots of combinations of lots of cycling stuff - most of the time it worked out fine but I'll admit there were some magnificent failures (And some involved road rash and other assorted minor injuries). Anyway, I'm an advocate of testing, especially if someone says "it won't work", and it's pretty satisfying when you're successful (And it doesn't that bad when you're not and makes for great stories!?).
Old 05-30-06, 12:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What link should I get for my Shimano CN-5600 10 speed chain?
Old 05-30-06, 09:45 PM
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
SRAM/ Shimano 9 speed compatability isn't really a critical issue, but 10 speed quick links continue to be problematic.

as far as its being tossed around the shop, the wipperman 10s connector quick link does NOT work for the shimano brand 10-speed chains. additionally, there were two standards of Shimano 10-speed chain (Already!) and, though i believe the first gen 10 speed link specs are going away to be replaced with one Shimano standard, there are currently two different Shimano 10-speed connector pins.

Believe a wipperman 10 speed chain should be compatible with the 10 speed systems (Campy or Shimano specific, still) and include a wipperman quick link.

Th Should be interesting to get in the NEW SRAM 10-Speed road gruppos this fall and compare the new SRAM 10-speed chain/ quick link compatability options...

Last edited by Bekologist; 05-31-06 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-31-06, 08:46 AM

Bikes: Trek 7300FX, Lemond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
SRAM/ the wipperman 10s connector quick link does NOT work for the shimano specced 10-sped chain. ...
Wipperman makes several different 10-speed connector links, there are different ones for Shimano and Campy. The Shimano one is 6.1 mm while the Campy link is 6.2 mm wide.
Old 05-31-06, 11:10 AM
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
the whipperman 10-speed shimano quick link is for the wipperman shimano 10 speed chain and does not fit a shimano brand 10 speed chain. have tried at the shop. maybe someone with the end-all-be-all info on this could kick in, i'm just a hack and not a pro in any means.
Old 05-31-06, 03:06 PM
= cyclist's tan

Bikes: '82 Miyata 310, '87 Scott Boulder, '87 Schwinn Le Tour, '91 Cannondale SM500, '96 Schwinn Clear Creek, '99 Schwinn MesaGS, '05 Rockhopper

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
does anyone know if you need a special shimano pin for the old 6 speed UG chains? These seem to be old-style non-bushingless chains. I have been using a chain tool at a random link to remove the chain and clean it and I have never had any chains break.

does the SRAM Powerlink work with 6 speed stuff? How about KMC Z series 6 speed 7.1mm chains? any compatability issues with Suntour Winner freewheels (i know they use a diffrent cog spacing)?