Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Peugeot Tourmolet 14 Speed?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-04, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello and help please. I just got a Peugeot Tourmolet 14 speed and can find nothing out about it, or don't konw where to look. It says Tourmolet on the top tube and Mangalloy HLE on the seat tube. It has a 7 speed rear cassette and two rings in the front. The wheels are campy with shimano indexed shifters on the down tube. It also says Peugeot cycles computer design cad on the top tube. Finally it also says direct brazing system on the down tube.

Thanks for all your help
Old 07-25-04, 10:08 AM
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Your bike is from the eighties,I believe. The "HLE" tubing is a Peugeot propriatary tubing, replacing the earlier "Carbolite 103" and the even earlier "Tube Special ALlegre Peugeot. You have some nice equipment on it, esp. the hubs.

The later Peugeots are a little out of what small expertise I have; while I've worked on numerous pre-1980 Peugeots, the latest I've worked on is 1979. Never even touched an eighties bike. Some helpful info on reading Peugeot serial numbers, which may provide a clue as to the date and place of manufacture, is located here:

https://www.classicrendezvous.com/Fra...10_history.htm

To wit:
"Peugeots are typically marked with a serial number on the underside of the bottom bracket. Bikes built in the 1960's have the numbers stamped directly in the BB shell, and often have Nervex trademark and bottom bracket tube angle markings as well.There are six digits used on bikes from the 50's and 60's and seven digits used on bikes from the 70's. Bicycles built during the 80's have eight digits and a letter prefix. Around 1970, Peugeot began stamping the numbers on an aluminum plate which was riveted to the underside of the bottom bracket shell. It is unclear whether this applied to all bicycles. Some examples have gaps in the serial numbers. The flaw to this arrangement is the ease with which serial number plates are removed. Numerous Peugeots originally numbered with riveted plates can now be identified only by their decal schemes.Some examples have lower numerical serial numbers while having later decal schemes. By the end of the 1970's, Peugeot serial numbers were once again stamped in a more permanent fashion. Peugeots built in France during the 1980's can be dated by year through use of their serial numbers. Following a letter prefix, typically Y or B, the first number of the numeral code indicates the bicycle's model year (ex. PKN-10 #B 0667631, built in 1980). Track bicycles, at least, appeared to have their numbers stamped on the left rear dropout."

some catalogs are here, and though they're in a language I cannot identify, they're understandable:

https://home.wanadoo.nl/peugeotshow/

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 07-25-04, 03:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Poguemahone
To wit:
"Peugeots are typically marked with a serial number on the underside of the bottom bracket. Bikes built in the 1960's have the numbers stamped directly in the BB shell, and often have Nervex trademark and bottom bracket tube angle markings as well.There are six digits used on bikes from the 50's and 60's and seven digits used on bikes from the 70's. Bicycles built during the 80's have eight digits and a letter prefix. Around 1970, Peugeot began stamping the numbers on an aluminum plate which was riveted to the underside of the bottom bracket shell. It is unclear whether this applied to all bicycles. Some examples have gaps in the serial numbers. The flaw to this arrangement is the ease with which serial number plates are removed. Numerous Peugeots originally numbered with riveted plates can now be identified only by their decal schemes.Some examples have lower numerical serial numbers while having later decal schemes. By the end of the 1970's, Peugeot serial numbers were once again stamped in a more permanent fashion. Peugeots built in France during the 1980's can be dated by year through use of their serial numbers. Following a letter prefix, typically Y or B, the first number of the numeral code indicates the bicycle's model year (ex. PKN-10 #B 0667631, built in 1980). Track bicycles, at least, appeared to have their numbers stamped on the left rear dropout."

some catalogs are here, and though they're in a language I cannot identify, they're understandable:

https://home.wanadoo.nl/peugeotshow/

Thanks,

In looking at the serial number it is stamped to the bottom bracket and begins as follows Y912 so therefore I would believe that it was made in 1989. In looking at the above site the decals look like the 1989 Aspin except that it has the mangalloy sticker on the seatpost. I also found the following stamped into the seatpost CPBI0001, any ideas?
Old 07-29-04, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Tourmalet's arealso known as PH10's. The wheels are not original. Are you sure its a 14 speed? Does it have indexing shift levers or friction levers? Does it have a freewheel or freehub? What color is it?

The above site does not have American catalogs...
Old 08-04-04, 07:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
Tourmalet's arealso known as PH10's. The wheels are not original. Are you sure its a 14 speed? Does it have indexing shift levers or friction levers? Does it have a freewheel or freehub? What color is it?

The above site does not have American catalogs...
Yes it is a 14 speed and is printed on the back wheel support of the bike. As far as freewheel or freehub I am not sure, how can I tell the difference. On the shifter it says, sis 7s light action fric., so I would guess that this may mean friction. There is no clicking when shifting the gears, but it is smooth and you don't seem to find and grind. The color is purple. Hope all this helps and thanks.
Old 08-04-04, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
phoenix...the shift levers are in fact index levers. The S.I.S. stands for Shimano Index System. Theres a small mechanisn on the lever to switch back and forth between index and friction. If it has Campy wheels then it has a freewheel versus a freehub (cassette). Regardless its a nice bike.
Old 08-04-04, 08:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
phoenix...the shift levers are in fact index levers. The S.I.S. stands for Shimano Index System. Theres a small mechanisn on the lever to switch back and forth between index and friction. If it has Campy wheels then it has a freewheel versus a freehub (cassette). Regardless its a nice bike.
miami...thanks for the information was able to change the shifter and it now clicks and shifts. the wheels are campy omega strada hardox.
Old 08-05-04, 08:26 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
I am very curious about the combination of Shimano shifters with Campag.(?) hubs. Your rims are Campag. Omegas, which I used with a Campag. Chorus hubset and DT spokes when I built new wheels for my Bianchi, but what make is your rear hub?
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-05-04, 02:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I am very curious about the combination of Shimano shifters with Campag.(?) hubs. Your rims are Campag. Omegas, which I used with a Campag. Chorus hubset and DT spokes when I built new wheels for my Bianchi, but what make is your rear hub?
the hub simply says campagnolo and has the emblem on it.