Folding Bikes - Dahon upgrade thread
Bikeforums.net is a forum about nothing but bikes. Our community can help you find information about hard-to-find and localized information like bicycle tours, specialties like where in your area to have your recumbent bike serviced, or what are the best bicycle tires and seats for the activities you use your bike for.
02-18-10, 07:24 AM
I thought I'd start a general thread where Dahon owners can post questions and comments about optimizing their bikes. I recently acquired a 2008 Dahon Speed P8 around the holidays. My accessories/upgrades so far:
* Bell, waterbottle cage, PlanetBike front light
* Traveller Rear Rack + Spanninga Rear LED light
* Schwalbe Marathon Racer tires (to replace Big Apples)
* SKS fenders
* Replace twist shifter (see question)
* Install double kickstand (to provide better stability with loaded touring)
I'm not happy with the current twist shifter (SRAM Rapid Rise). The twist is forward to lower the gear--the exact opposite of what I'm used to. Does anyone have recommendations for a quality standard 8-speed twist shifter I could use to replace it?
02-19-10, 06:19 PM
i did quite a bit of upgrades on my dahon boardwalk that i posted on another thread:
1) changed saddle to a Selle Italia XO
2) changed all cables to jagwire (brakes and derailleur)
3) changed crankset to Shimano 105 52T/39T
4) changed BB to Shimano Hollowtech II
5) changed brake lever into a Shimano combination brake/gear shifter.
6) added wired computer with cadence monitor.
7) change RD to a shimano alivio
and on my dahon muxl my upgrades are:
1) stella headlight (night and day difference to my old cateye headlight)
2) VDO wireless computer
3) mks fd6 folding pedal
4) viewpoint tailight
5) new saddle (white one)
since i sold my boardwalk (i took all the parts that i installed) i am now thinking of putting them on my mu xl. we'll see how it goes. i have not been riding my bike these past 2 months due to the winter and rainy weather here in sf ca.
02-19-10, 08:25 PM
Please post some pics of your upgraded Dahons.
I have done teh following upgrades on my 2005 Dahon Jetstream P8
- Ergon GR2 grips
- Telescopic handlepost
- Big Apple tires
- Modified rack from a Mariner D7 to fit rear suspension rear
- Modified fenders from Mariner D7 to fit
- Replaced SDG I-Beam seatpost with seatpost from Mariner D7
- Axle mounted kickstand from Dahon Getaway
BEFORE - BEFORE - BEFORE
AFTER - AFTER - AFTER
1990 Dahon Mariner Classic III
- Completely took it apart and repainted it for my wife
- Leathertte seat and grips
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.12 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.