Bicycle Mechanics - Seat post stuck how to take out with out damaging...
Bikeforums.net is a forum about nothing but bikes. Our community can help you find information about hard-to-find and localized information like bicycle tours, specialties like where in your area to have your recumbent bike serviced, or what are the best bicycle tires and seats for the activities you use your bike for.
08-05-10, 12:01 PM
i just bought a vintage Cycles Gitane and the guy who sold it to me told me that he couldnt get the seat post out and that it seems to be stuck. He didnt want to bend the frame or anything like that to get the post out but am wondering if there are any solutions to this kind of thing. I dont want to bend the frame (but if it comes down to it, illjust close my eyes)
08-05-10, 12:13 PM
08-05-10, 12:18 PM
In addition to the dozens of posts about this already, I will add that i have had great success with an overnight soak in PB Blaster.
+10 This topic is covered just about every week, as well as thoroughly in the Sheldon Brown site. Hopefully you got a huge discount on the bike, as this can be a major undertaking. About 90% of the time, I free the up with a reasonable effort. But the other 10% are tough, real tough. I still have one waiting for me to cut it out. Fortunately, I bought the bike as a donor bike, so was not expecting to salvage the frame.
08-06-10, 09:22 AM
I had a similar issue on my dad's bike, which I was fixing up for him. It had been sitting for a long time.
I tried ammonia, I tried a hack saw blade, I tried everything. What finally worked for me was a Sawzall with a long metal cutting blade. I stuck it in the tube and cut a few slits until I could pound a screwdriver between the tube and the seatpost in several places, loosening the bond so I could pull it out. Of course, I didn't do a perfect job, so I left some grooves cut into the inside of the seat tube. I'm hoping I didn't damage the structural integrity too much, because my son has inherited that bike and he likes riding it. So far so good.
I sanded out the inside of the seat tube as best I could, and put lots of grease on the new seatpost before installing. I also went around to all my other bikes and checked to see if any of the seatposts were sticking, and applied some new grease to a couple.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.12 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.