Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Alpha Q Fork sleeve bond problems

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-29-10, 10:38 PM

Bikes: Scott scale 29er, Gary fisher Rig SS 29er, Fuji Cross pro, Novara Randonee, Scattante TI custom build, Fuji Team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I bonded the Alpha Q steerer tube sleeve using the YELLOW epoxy that came with the sleeve and followed the guidelines by the manufacturer.

Over the past year, I noticed the headset would always loosen, and I eventually saw that the top cap was flush with the stem, so I added a 3mm spacer, thinking I just cut the tube long. after a month, that too, because flush with the stem.... so I took off the stem to see the sleeve was being pulled out by the topcap bolt.

after 2 stems and a bunch of spacers later, I used the topcap bolt to pull out the sleeve, which was caked in a white, flaking powder (epoxy I assume?). It obvously did not bond very well, if at all. The bike was not in the rain but twice, so I am doubting it was a moisture issue, and I left the steerer to bond 24 hours, when recommended is only 8.

Any ideas or similar problems? Im waiting to hear back from Aplha Q
Old 08-30-10, 06:56 AM

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
The small packet of glue that came with my fork was totally inadequate to fill the gap between the steering tube and support tube. I tossed it and mixed up a larger batch of JB Weld epoxy to secure mine.

If you're lucky and able to pull the tube out, the old epoxy can be removed from the support tube and steerer. The support tube could then be glued back in. Getting the glue off the steering tube ID could be tough. The steerer is very thin walled and could be damaged without the proper tools for sanding or scraping off the epoxy.

Both the support tube and steerer need to be completely coated with epoxy. If a slow drying epoxy is used, the steering tube needs to be held upside down to the epoxy does not run down the steering tube. The top of the tube has a flange that will keep the epoxy from running out the top.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 08-30-10 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-30-10, 06:21 PM

Bikes: Scott scale 29er, Gary fisher Rig SS 29er, Fuji Cross pro, Novara Randonee, Scattante TI custom build, Fuji Team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks Dave. Found a friend who ended up doing it the second time with JB weld as well. Ill try the upside down method and check to see if stuff was running down the fork.

I dont deal with epoxy much, but it just seemed odd to me the white flaking crud everywhere. I can just rub it clean, but plan on lightly sandpapering it and cleaning with rubbing alcohol to get surfaces clean for the bond....