Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Recommend a decent steel hybrid...

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-11, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts

I'm not doing any more aluminum...

Okay, let me backup...

I keep hearing how comfortable steel is. How it absorbs the chatter...

So maybe I'm getting ahead of myself a little bit here, thinking ahead a year or so... but are there any decent steel frames that would make a nice hybrid bike? The Trek Fx series looks good, but they are all aluminum. Plus I'd need room for a suspension seat post so you probably can't recommend a cross bike.

So who wants to help me add a bike to the stable?

Mikey

Last edited by mikeschn; 02-11-11 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-11-11, 11:58 PM
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Check out the Jamis Coda lineup. Component level similar to what you'd find on the FX bikes, but on a steel frame (the Sport and Elite models use carbon forks).

In my experience, suspension seat posts rob you of forward momentum; as your pedal stroke goes down, some of that energy is absorbed by the suspension rather than being transfered to the rear wheel. Of course, one could argue that the "flexibility" of steel does the same thing. In any case, I ride a steel-framed hybrid bike with a rigid seat post and it propels my Clydesdale frame along comfortably.

If your dead-set on getting a suspension seat post, consider a parallel-linkage design like the Cane Creek Thudbuster. It's a much more efficient design than the traditional spring-in-tube offerings.

BTW, fat tires do more to absorb road chatter than frame material. If you can fit fatter tires on your bike it's a lot cheaper than buying a new one!
Old 02-12-11, 02:50 AM

Bikes: 1990 Univega Alpina, 2009 Specialized Dolce Elite, 2009 Jamis Coda Sport, 2010 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the Jamis Coda line. I have a 2009 Sport and it's a joy to ride. Not sure what your plans are, but it's more of flat-bar road bike than one I'd take off-road. I also have the Aurora (touring bike); there is nothing like steel, IMHO. I always refer to them as my Cadillac bikes.
Old 02-12-11, 05:55 AM
Randonneur in Training

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Coda Sport "The Coda!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the Jamis Coda.

I bought a 2010 Coda Sport for a $575 from one of the LBS's around me. Great ride and I'm a Clydesdale too.
Old 02-12-11, 09:28 AM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Before I start scratching my head on what models to recommend, I need to know what type of environment you're riding in. Are you primarily road, mostly trail, or a mix?
Old 02-12-11, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by no1mad
Before I start scratching my head on what models to recommend, I need to know what type of environment you're riding in. Are you primarily road, mostly trail, or a mix?
Mostly rail to trail, parts are just dirt, parts are fine gravel, and parts are coarse gravel with a lot of chatter.

Mikey
Old 02-12-11, 10:57 AM

Bikes: Jamis Coda, Trek 950 Single Track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my Jamis Coda. I've only ridden aluminum before and I can say that, without a doubt, the steel frame is a MUCH smoother ride. Plus the Coda is just a really fun bike to ride.
They come with 700 x 28 tires. If you are going to be on a lot of crushed gravel and coarse trails you would want to consider putting on 32's.
Old 02-12-11, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
"BTW, fat tires do more to absorb road chatter than frame material. If you can fit fatter tires on your bike it's a lot cheaper than buying a new one!"
^^^^
Umm ... This!
Looking at your current 'line up', not clear to me what a(nother) hybrid frame, steel or whatever, is going to do for you???
In my view, inherent 'differences' in 'ride quality' between frame materials (assuming equivalent quality) are enormously over-hyped, especially considered in relation to the influence of geometry, fit, tire quality/size, and so on.
Just for example, I can't imagine that a steel frame with the same geometry is going to be any more (magically) 'comfortable' than your alu/carbon Sirrus, all else being equal.
Old 02-12-11, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by badger1
Looking at your current 'line up', not clear to me what a(nother) hybrid frame, steel or whatever, is going to do for you???
Tis true, dat!!!

I'm just playing of course. This year I am moving the components over from the aluminum Crosstrail to the Carbon Frame.

Next year I'd like to move the components over from the Sirrus to a steel frame.

Wondering minds want to know if there's a difference.

I can always move the components back to the original frame if I find the hype is, well... hype!!!

Mikey

P.S. I'll have to try the fatter tires this weekend! Woohoo, it's above freezing today!!!

Last edited by mikeschn; 02-12-11 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-12-11, 11:47 AM
Gouge Away

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Best hybrids period imo are the early to mid 90's Trek 7XX series. The 90-92 750 was lugged steel. Also from that same period Specialized Crossroads is a very nice steel frame.
Old 02-12-11, 01:14 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
This is the one I regret not getting when I got my current one (they just turned into a 29er and I got a deal on the 26")- https://www.evanscycles.com/products/...y=kona%20smoke. It's no longer in production , but if you got the ca$h in hand, this would be a good one for almost any improved, non- single track surface. Steel frame and 700x47 rubber. If I wasn't so damned broke, I'd get one and sleep on the recliner until my wife calmed down
Old 02-13-11, 09:58 AM

kaliayev,

you're talking about the Trek Multi-track bikes, right? With or without front suspension?

Mikey
Old 02-14-11, 03:48 PM
Gouge Away

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Yes, the 7XX (Multi-Track) series was the steel precursor to the 7XXX series and FX series. As far as I know they did not come with a front suspension. The 790 and 750s were made in the US at the Waterloo, WI plant from 1990-93 and were made of TT lugged steel. After that they were made in Asia along with the 720 and 700 and were Tig welded. Starting with the 7XXX series they were made of aluminum or in the case of the high end 7900 cf with aluminum stays.
Old 02-14-11, 04:02 PM
Gouge Away

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Here is a an old pic of my 90 750 that I converted to drop bars and used as a commuter and weekend touring bike. I have since stripped her down and am converting back to her hybrid roots as an around town bike and grocery getter. The other pics are of my daughters 720 and a 94 Specialized Crossroads that I updated to a 9 speed drivetrain.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 1722..jpg (95.9 KB, 123 views)
Old 05-24-11, 06:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did some side by side testing yesterday looking for a hybrid bike and was so impressed by the 2011 jamis coda sport that I bought one on the spot and am probably going to convince my girlfriend to buy one too. It's just so smooth. I did a side by side with the regular coda and personally found that the upgraded derailleur, seat and carbon fork made a significant enough difference to warrant the extra cost. Keep in mind though that with the coda sport the carbon fork allows for smaller wheel sizes should you want to go bigger in the future.
Old 05-24-11, 09:25 AM

Bikes: 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it will fit you a new in box 19.5" 2009 Jamis Coda Comp is still available for $580 delivered ($950 original list) from Bicycle Bananas. Otherwise try out the Jamis Coda Sport (2011 Bicycling Magazine Editor's Choice) at Trail's Edge Cyclery in Milford or Plymouth, Downtown Ferndale Bike Shop, Hometown Bicycles in Brighton or Midwest Tandems in Ann Arbor.
Old 05-24-11, 09:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey decapitor,

What is the max size tire would you say?
Old 05-25-11, 01:06 PM

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had 35's on my Coda which had a steel fork. I estimated at the time 40's would fit no problem, possibly even larger (smooth tires).
Old 05-28-11, 03:21 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the past 2 weeks i have picked up 2 used hybrids (they arent so hard to find)
- 1995 Trek multitrack 720
- Univega Via Carisma which is probably roughly from around 1995 too, i dont know.

Right now i am liking the Univega better--
It has straight handlebars rather than the W shape of the Trek
It has shifting that is a Shimano thing where you click levers up and down (the Trek has handgrip shifters that you turn with your hand)
I think the entire bike with everything is about 2 pounds lighter (about 28 v. 30 pounds in size 53cm)

I am new to hybrids just pointing out theres lots of used models out there. I paid $200 for the trek in near new condition that had been tuned up by a LBS and $75 for the Univega that is more used but overall in good condition, i got it from a local bike enthusiast who has a collection of bikes and was just passing it on. I felt i may have overpaid for the Trek but i was buying top condition with tuneup from a reputable local LBS and if i didnt buy it then for asking price it would have been snapped up by other people very soon. The hard thing is finding used bikes locally in your frame size, my size 53cm seems to go fast.