Recreational & Family - Tag-Along or Tow Bar?
Bikeforums.net is a forum about nothing but bikes. Our community can help you find information about hard-to-find and localized information like bicycle tours, specialties like where in your area to have your recumbent bike serviced, or what are the best bicycle tires and seats for the activities you use your bike for.
05-19-11, 02:20 PM
I am thinking of either getting a Tag-Along or a Tow Bar so that by 4yo daughter can come along for longer rides. Hopefully you can answer some of my questions:
- Is 4yo too young?
- Which is better? Tag Along or Tow Bar?
- I like the Tow bar type because that means she can ride on her own on certain areas.
- Tag Along seems more comfortable
- Can the tow bar work with a 12" child bike?
05-19-11, 05:52 PM
Looked at a tow-bar, but decided on a Trail-a-Bike Compact (http://www.trail-a-bike.com/products/trail-a-bikes/original-folder-compact/) for my 3-year-old son.
05-19-11, 10:39 PM
what's the difference b/t compact and non-compact?
05-19-11, 11:13 PM
From the Trail-a-Bike website re: Compact.
• Compact folding frame design will accommodate a rider with a 2" shorter inseam than the Original Folder 1 model
• Shorter reach, shorter cranks, smaller chain ring and a narrower handlebar fits smaller riders just right
• Lower center of gravity gives parents and children increased stability
It's intended for kids aged 3-5, up to 85 lbs. The Original (non-compact) has the same weight limit but not the smaller dimensions and is intended for kids aged 4-6. FWIW my son is almost 4 and still needs the blocks to reach the pedals and, as the pics illustrate, the handlebars are set quite low for him to reach them. I'm sure he'll still be able to fit the bike 2 years from now but my hope is that he'll want to ride his own bike by then.
05-22-11, 01:07 AM
I have used a tow bar and it is a very bad deal!! Totally not worth the money and very, very hard to bike with a kid on one. A trail a bike is really pretty decent to use. I like the compact versions better, unless you child is naturally tall. My kids are in the 25% for height/weight, so they just barely able to use a regular trail a bike at 6 years old. Prior to that I use a compact and do so from 3 years old.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.12 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.