Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Surly Troll Touring, Panniers and Heelstrike

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 03-12-12, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently ordered a Surly Troll 22" complete bike and plan to use it as a do everything commuter, mountain and long distance on/off road touring bike. After reading through some of the forums here I am a bit concerned about heel strike issues with my 12.5 size shoes and 44L (combined) Pacific Outdoor Shaped Rear Panniers. Any opinion as to whether or not I'll have issues?
Old 04-05-12, 10:42 AM
mwv

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an 18" troll set up with a Tubus Logo using Ortlieb panniers and I was able to adjust everything to get quite a bit of clearance. I mounted the rack on the rear most mount on the dropout and adjusted the pannier hooks as well. I have not used them for touring yet and only with random stuff to fill the panniers but I think I may be able to dial them back in a bit after really packing them and taking a little longer test rides.

I think the key is to use the Logo rack.
Old 04-05-12, 11:24 AM

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Giant Trance, Felt Breed, Marin SS MTB, Felt Pyre BMX bike, oldschool GT trials bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have not tried to put a rack and panniers on my troll yet but if you do not get much of a response here you can always ask here. MTBR Surly Troll forum
Old 04-05-12, 02:16 PM
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by SapporoBrian
...I am a bit concerned about heel strike issues with my 12.5 size shoes and 44L (combined) Pacific Outdoor Shaped Rear Panniers. Any opinion as to whether or not I'll have issues?
You probably won't have heel strike. The troll has a 419mm chainstay length, but the rear-most rack/fender mounting hole is a bit further back, probably at about 460mm. I researched this issue myself regarding the Ogre, which uses the same dropouts, and like the Troll, the CS length is measured to the rear axle location in it's forward-most position in the horizontal dropout slot.

The Ogre has a 431mm CS length, but the rack can be mounted as far back as ~470mm, or about 10mm further back than the LHT. I don't recall anyone reporting heel-strike issues with the LHT. Of course, you could have one of those bad combinations of feet, shoes, rack type and pannier type, but with 460mm to work with my guess you'll be alright.

You could go to the Troll thread and ask someone to measure this distance for you.

Last edited by seeker333; 04-05-12 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-05-12, 02:58 PM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
+1 on the Tubus racks. I have the Cargo, and the seat-stay arms' adjustments can give a lot of extra room. You'll be fine.