Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin 800 water issues?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Garmin 800 water issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-12, 09:20 AM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Tarmac Comp, 2015 Merida Reacto 5000, 2015 Giant Trinity Composite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garmin 800 water issues?

I've just seen reviews on Amazon for the Garmin 800 and so many of them say that the device is useless as it suffers badly if there is any moisture around. Living in England there is going to be plenty of rain around, so is it as bad as they say?

(comments say that the device will till work but won't connect to a computer, or it just dies.)

I'm really pleased with the way that my Garmin 500 works, but now my family are riding they are interested in getting a 500, so I was thinking about getting the 800 and letting them have the 500.... Obviously if the 800 is bad, I'll give it a miss.
Old 07-31-12, 10:14 AM

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 (RIP), 2013 Trek Domane 5.9

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in NW Louisiana which, during a typical summer, sees 80+ percent humidity pretty much daily. I've had an 800 since June of 2011 and have had no such issues with mine. I've used it in rain, sleet, all weather. Maybe I'm just lucky but I can't imagine what kinds of problems they're having unless it's being submerged.
Old 08-01-12, 01:17 AM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
I don't live in a particular wet area but have used my Garmin Edge 800 in many storms (we tend to get a lot of rain quickly rather than a rain all day so to speak) and never had issues with it getting wet internally. I couldn't say the same for my Garmin 305 but.

I suspect there a lot of users in the UK. I would have thought there would be a lot about the issue if there was one in forums such as CTC, YACF and Cyclechat. Maybe work a search in those might be informative.

Andrew
Old 08-01-12, 06:25 AM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Tarmac Comp, 2015 Merida Reacto 5000, 2015 Giant Trinity Composite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cheers. I find it odd that I really haven't seen anything, but Amazon is full of the comments. I would have thought a universal yes or no would be rather easy to find.

On with the search!
Old 08-01-12, 11:29 AM

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aushiker
I don't live in a particular wet area but have used my Garmin Edge 800 in many storms (we tend to get a lot of rain quickly rather than a rain all day so to speak) and never had issues with it getting wet internally. I couldn't say the same for my Garmin 305 but.

I suspect there a lot of users in the UK. I would have thought there would be a lot about the issue if there was one in forums such as CTC, YACF and Cyclechat. Maybe work a search in those might be informative.

Andrew
+1 I have the 800, have ridden through many rainstorms and have never had moisture related issues. Moisture is not one of my complaints about the 800
Old 08-01-12, 11:54 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've never owned one, but all the local rando-nuts told me not to get one because of this reason. Most of them have plastic bags cut and rigged up to protect theirs, and there are still failures.

I got the eTrex 20, which has a better reputation for weather protection.

Edit: Note of course that a rando ride in the PNW will sometimes involve 7-10 hours of riding in moderate to heavy rain. Those conditions may be outside the area of concern for most (sane) users.
Old 08-02-12, 01:50 AM

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Never had a problem with failure in downpours, drizzles, snow etc.

Only problem when it rains is that the altimeter info is pretty messed up.