Rowan and I are planning to be in Uruguay next month. Our hope is to be able to do a short cycling tour where we would cycle from one place to the next (maybe along the coast). Or we might prefer to find a nice town to stay in for a week or so, and then explore in different directions.
Have you been to Uruguay? Do you have any comments, suggestions, or advice?
After Uruguay, we are hoping to go to Chile and do the same thing there.
I cycled from Colonia del Sacramento all along the coast, exiting at Chuy and onwards into Brazil. So far Uruguay has been my favourite country from a cycling perspective as the roads are not heavy in traffic, are wide, the drivers very considerate, not much in the way of large hills and almost always a large hard shoulder to cycle on. Even taking a number of rest days and suffering from a few 'beginners' injuries, I completed this route of around 670km's in little over two weeks.
My main emphasis was to look at birds (the two legged, feathered kind). Fortunately most of the venues I visited were along the coast road in any case. You needn't take any gear to be self sufficient (camping etc), as there are plenty fo town all along the roads depending on how far you are able to cycle on a day to day basis. See below my basic itinerary and distances (as this was the start of my tour, my first - I was still getting used to cycling any great distance etc).
If you want to read more on the day to day stuff, I have a blog running - the relevant links for Uruguay are :
HS = Hostel
HO = Hotel
OT = Other
SC = Stealth Camp
CA = Official Camp Site
AB = Abandoned Building
[/] = Daily cycling distance in kilometres with cumulative total after /
( ) = GPS Co-ordinates
005. 04/07/2012 - Uruguay (Nueva Helvecia) HO Hotel Suizo. (34° 18'S, 57° 13'W) [42/81]
006. 05/07/2012 - Uruguay (-) AB nr Libertad (34° 38'S, 57° 44'W) [79/160]
007. 06/07/2012 - Uruguay (Montevideo) HS Arriba. (34° 55'S, 56° 09'W) [62/222]
008. 07/07/2012 - Uruguay (Montevideo) HS Arriba. (34° 55'S, 56° 09'W) [0/222]
009. 08/07/2012 - Uruguay (Atlantida) HO Hotel Lujan Mar. (34° 46'S, 55° 43'W) [63/285]
010. 09/07/2012 - Uruguay (Punta del Este) HS Hostel el Viajero. (34° 57'S, 54° 56'W) [89/374]
011. 10/07/2012 - Uruguay (Punta del Este) HS Hostel el Viajero. (34° 57'S, 54° 56'W) [0/374]
012. 11/07/2012 - Uruguay (Laguna de Rocha) SC. (34° 41'S, 54° 18'W) [66/440]
013. 12/07/2012 - Uruguay (La Paloma) HS La Balconada Beech. (34° 39'S, 54° 09'W) [77/517]
014. 13/07/2012 - Uruguay (La Paloma) HS La Balconada Beech. (34° 39'S, 54° 09'W) [0/517]
015. 14/07/2012 - Uruguay (La Paloma) HS La Balconada Beech. (34° 39'S, 54° 09'W) [0/517]
016. 15/07/2012 - Uruguay (La Paloma) HS La Balconada Beech. (34° 39'S, 54° 09'W) [0/517]
017. 16/07/2012 - Uruguay (Aguas Dulces) CA HS el Gato. (34° 27'S, 53° 77'W) [62/579]
018. 17/07/2012 - Uruguay (PN Santa Teresa) CA. (34° 04'S, 53° 58'W) [57/636]
019. 18/07/2012 - Uruguay (PN Santa Teresa) CA. (34° 04'S, 53° 58'W) [0/636]
020. 19/07/2012 - Uruguay (Chuy) HS Etnico. (33° 69'S, 53° 45'W) [34/670]
021. 20/07/2012 - Uruguay / Brazil SC (33° 09'S, 52° 91'W) [92/762]
You are welcome to email me if you have any questions, be happy to help if I can.
11-12-12, 09:31 AM