Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

'72 Peugeot UO-8 bent the forks, what are my options

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-28-12, 09:22 AM

Bikes: '06 Specialized Sequoia Elite, '13 Haro Flightline Trail, 2017 Raliegh Tamland 1, 2017 Raliegh Tamland 2,'79? Nishiki Citi Sport (Fixie Project), '97 GT Timberline (mtb), '05 Specialized Sirrus (CC), '11 Premium Solo Plus (bmx), '72 Peugeot UO-8 SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I came down hard on the front wheel today and bent the forks up on my SS trainer. The wheel is pressed into the front caliper. I am nervous about straightening it becausae I know it will be weaker than it was. I am not concerned about original on the forks and wouldn't mind something newer but it is a 'Frenchy'. What are my options, do I have any options?

Thanks
Old 09-28-12, 09:29 AM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
I believe you can simply buy a 1" replacement fork, english HS to match it and stem. Most shops usually have a selection of lowend SR stems removed from old road bikes for various reasons.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-28-12, 09:33 AM

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
if you hit hard enough to bend the fork, how's the wheel doing? I'd have a close look at the frame as well.
Old 09-28-12, 09:38 AM

Bikes: '06 Specialized Sequoia Elite, '13 Haro Flightline Trail, 2017 Raliegh Tamland 1, 2017 Raliegh Tamland 2,'79? Nishiki Citi Sport (Fixie Project), '97 GT Timberline (mtb), '05 Specialized Sirrus (CC), '11 Premium Solo Plus (bmx), '72 Peugeot UO-8 SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The frame is good, the wheel is a bit out off true now but no dents. The forks are really thin and I think they may have been a bit week already.

With a replacement fork will the trail be the same? The forks stick way out past the headset.
Old 09-28-12, 09:50 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,427 Times in 1,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I believe you can simply buy a 1" replacement fork, english HS to match it and stem. Most shops usually have a selection of lowend SR stems removed from old road bikes for various reasons.
Yes, a new fork along with a new ISO/BSC headset will work, but the OP will also need to replace the stem, and then most likely the handle bar. ISO forks & stems are 22.2mm (7/8") but the old fork and stem were 22mm and so will not fit properly into the new fork.

The issues of basic fork geometry are manageable. Even if the fork isn't identical, the rake and trail won't be different enough to worry about. But the OP needs to try to match the crown to axle distance fairly closely, especially if he's using 27" wheels (original to UO-8sm back in the early seventies). A modern fork built for 700c won't clear.

IMO- by the time the OP is done, he'll end up spending more than this project is worth. He might be better off trying to find an old UO-8 in decent condition to cannibalize for parts, or another decent looking old bike to recondition.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-28-12, 10:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this something like what you all are refering to?
Old 09-28-12, 10:17 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by surveywaters
Is this something like what you all are refering to?
It'll do, but you'll need a new headset, stem, and probably handlebar. The headset would be complicated because the frame wants an ISO headset and the fork is JIS/27.0 vs ISO/26.4. You could have a bike shop mill the crown (about $20 more or less), or buy a JIS crown race to match the headset.

Try to find a similar fork prepped for a 26.4mm crown race, or ask Niagara if they can do this job for you and how much extra. However before actually spending a cent, work up a total cost so you can intelligently decide if the rest of the bike warrants the upgrade.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 09-28-12, 11:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, this is technical beyond my experience. When you say mill the crown is this refering to turning down the chubby section the crown race sets on so that a 26.4mm race would fit? If so, could I shave .3mm off that section and use the crown race included in this headset? I can't tell if one is include, however if not, the peugeot crown race is 26.5mm and could be used, correct?
Old 09-28-12, 11:34 AM

Forgive my ignorance, this is technical beyond my experience. When you say mill the crown is this refering to turning down the chubby section the crown race sets on so that a 26.4mm race would fit? If so, could I shave .3mm off that section and use the crown race included in this headset? I can't tell if one is include, however if not, the peugeot crown race is 26.5mm and could be used, correct?
Ignorance is forgiven. Yes, you need to turn .3mm per side off the small raised seat at the base of the steerer. This can be done freehand with a file, but is very difficult, and best not attempted buy anyone not expert in precision filing. Bike shops use a tool made for the job, and as I said, Niagara might be able to do this for you (ask).

Headsets always include crown races, so that isn't the issue, but you cannot use your original one, because it won't match the rest of the new headset.

Old 09-28-12, 11:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much, I'll ask Niagra and call my LBS for price comparison. I think this does it, now I have messed up and found a threadless adapter which means new bars and stem too.

Thank you for your patience
Jon
Old 09-29-12, 07:55 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Apex/GT fork (modded)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a UO-8 of about the same vintage. I was told back in those days that those forks were delicate, but had no problem with them. A few years later I got a PX-10 which I still own. But I digress...

You could scrounge around bike shops to find a fork. You could use a non-French fork and an upper race (the part with threads) which would be compatible with both headset and fork. You might even get lucky and find a French fork of the right length. However, why not upgrade at this point? The world is just full of used bikes these days, and as I recall the UO-8 was no great shakes.
Old 09-29-12, 08:11 AM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
Thanks so much, I'll ask Niagra and call my LBS for price comparison. I think this does it, now I have messed up and found a threadless adapter which means new bars and stem too.

Thank you for your patience
Jon
Odds are on a replacement fork the difference in price will not be an issue. Again a used fork is an option and you need to use your LBS once in a while any way. One day you'll need something dones on the spot and if you are know as a "mail order guy" guess who goes to the back of the line.

FBinNY vrings up a good point especially if now you are talking about a threadless adaptor and threadless stem. You may be better off just finding another old OU-8 to fixiefy.

Also did you check the frame for damage?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-29-12, 08:23 AM
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I came down hard on the front wheel today and bent the forks up on my SS trainer. The wheel is pressed into the front caliper. I am nervous about straightening it becausae I know it will be weaker than it was. I am not concerned about original on the forks and wouldn't mind something newer but it is a 'Frenchy'. What are my options, do I have any options?

Thanks
I would recommend a suspension fork on a bike more suited to wheelies or jumps.
Old 10-07-12, 09:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate all the help guys. I put a $30 generic replacement 1" fork on the bike and a $5 Tange-Seiki ISO headset. The races fit the frame tube perfect, but I did have to mill down the crown race seat as described; that only took about 10min with a mill bastard and a steady hand. The bar stem is a real nice and snug fit with a lager can wrapped around it. Everything fit well and looks good.