Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Letour Info

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Schwinn Letour Info

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-05, 03:33 PM

Bikes: 1-1980 Schwinn Letour Mens Cardinal Red 1-Ladies of the same. Both barely ridden and my wife and i are the original owners. Both are in excellent condition.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwinn Letour Info

I own 2- Schwinn LeTours from 1980. Both in Cardinal Red. 1-Mens and 1-Ladies, both in great condition.
The Ladies still has the original tires on it. The Mens has newer Gumwalls, otherwise they are original.
My wife and I bought these in August, 1980 from Bike Line in Allentown, Pa. We still have the Sales Catalog from 1980, and the "Schwinn Approved " Cardinal Red, touch-up paint bottle. My wifes probably
has less than 10-Miles and mine has no more than 50-Miles. Both of these bikes have been hanging from our garage wall for all these years. Occasionally, I take them down and wipe them off and put a coat of wax on them. They have some minor rust pitting on the chrome wheels etc. otherwise they are in really nice condition. I am assuming these 2-bikes have some value. Does anyone have any idea what they may
be worth ?? Thanks for your help !!
Old 02-02-05, 03:40 PM
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've seen several Letours for sale around the DC area for $30-80. I haven't seen yours but I'd guess the men's bike is worth $60 or so and the lady's somewhat less. If the wheels are rusting, a knowledgeable buyer would know they need replacing, since rusty steel wheels are obsolete and unsafe.
Old 02-02-05, 03:45 PM
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Neither Japanese bikes or non-paramount Schwinns are fondly remembered by collectors, unfortunately. I'd say 250-300 would be pushing it to the max, if you're patient, and the frames are spotless. I love Le Tours, it's a pity they're not appreciated for the good bikes they were.
Old 02-02-05, 03:47 PM

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by krispistoferson
Neither Japanese bikes or non-paramount Schwinns are fondly remembered by collectors, unfortunately. I'd say 250-300 would be pushing it to the max, if you're patient, and the frames are spotless. I love Le Tours, it's a pity they're not appreciated for the good bikes they were.
I love the old Schwinns too... they seem to sell really cheap around here, at least on craigslist.
Old 02-02-05, 03:51 PM
Immoderator

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, I've seen plenty in the paper for cheaper than 50 bucks, but I've seen people pay 300 too. E-bay might be a better option than the newspaper. Someone who specifically wants a Le Tour will probably be on e-bay with cash to burn.
Old 02-02-05, 10:38 PM
I need more bikes!!!

Bikes: 2 roadies, 7 fixed-gears, 1 hardtail, 1 full suspension mtb, and 1 hybrid...so far.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbycobra
I own 2- Schwinn LeTours from 1980. Both in Cardinal Red. 1-Mens and 1-Ladies, both in great condition.
The Ladies still has the original tires on it. The Mens has newer Gumwalls, otherwise they are original.
My wife and I bought these in August, 1980 from Bike Line in Allentown, Pa. We still have the Sales Catalog from 1980, and the "Schwinn Approved " Cardinal Red, touch-up paint bottle. My wifes probably
has less than 10-Miles and mine has no more than 50-Miles. Both of these bikes have been hanging from our garage wall for all these years. Occasionally, I take them down and wipe them off and put a coat of wax on them. They have some minor rust pitting on the chrome wheels etc. otherwise they are in really nice condition. I am assuming these 2-bikes have some value. Does anyone have any idea what they may
be worth ?? Thanks for your help !!
Let the fixed-gear crowd know...they make excellent conversions and most will replace the wheels anyway.
Old 02-02-05, 11:00 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Shadow
Let the fixed-gear crowd know...they make excellent conversions and most will replace the wheels anyway.
Oh man... I'd kill for a nice Schwinn fixie.
Old 02-03-05, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
There are two different markets for bikes such as your LeTours. The "need a cheap bike to ride" market, and the dedicated Schwinn collector's market. The CBTR market value of your bikes is probably around $50 each, and that sort of buyer is a "local" buyer, as the price of shipping exceeds what they are willing to pay for the bike.

The dedicated Schwinn collectors market is different. Collectors look for bikes that are "unique", and the 1980 LeTour WAS unique. LeTours were imported from Japan from 1974 to 1978. Those LeTours were reportedly made by National/Panasonic and were the first "affordable" lugged frame Schwinn bikes.

During 1979 and 1980, Schwinn made "save the company" sort of experiment. Schwinn attempted to make affordable LUGGED frame road bikes in its Chicago factory, using assembly line methods that would permit competing with imported bikes on price and quality.

The two bikes used for the experiment were the 1979 and 1980 "Super LeTour" and the "LeTour".

The 1980 road bike line-up from Schwinn was headed by the:

-Paramount - Made in USA

-Voyageuer 11.8 - Imported from Asia $333 List DB 4130 Cro-Mo main frame 25.5 pounds

-Super LeTour - Made in Chicago $290 List 1020 Carbon steel frame 26.5 pounds

-LeTour - Made in Chicago $220 List 1020 Carbon steel frame 30.0 pounds

The two LeTour models shared the same frame, but the lower price version had steel rims, some steel components, and a "kickstand" which raised its weight to 30 pounds. (About 8 pounds lighter than the best-selling Schwinn Varsity model).

The first goal of the "experiment" was met. The $220 price of the LeTour was similar to the price of entry level Asian-made lugged steel road bikes. However, by 1980, road bike buyers had become VERY weight conscious, and the Asian competition weighed between 23 pounds and 28 pounds, and many imported models had double-butted chro-mo frames. A straight gauge 1020 "hi-ten" steel frame that was ALMOST as light as "cro-mo" did not succeed in a marketplace where younger buyers had begun to obsess about fractions of an ounce.

Due to the high costs of building bikes in Chicago, Schwinn soon phased out the Chicago plant. Giant in Taiwan began making the models that had been made in Chicago, as well as newer models. (But, the Giant versions were different...the "Giant" Suburban got a "lugged" frame). Closing the Chicago plant led to temporary profits, but it was the beginning of the end of Schwinn in America. Today, "Schwinn" is just a decal slapped on bikes made in Asia.

So, an avid Schwinn collector might be quite interested in getting a "matching pair" of "almost new" Chicago-made LeTours. You would need a detailed E-Bay ad with large, sharp photos. The ad should also make clear that these were among the "limited run" of Chicago-made lugged frame LeTours. You would need to use a bike shop in your neighborhood to pack the bikes in very compact boxes. That would allow you to advertise a maximum shipping charge to 48 States of $45 each (shipping from your bike shop to a bike shop near the customer).

I'm guessing that a "hard core" collector would pay $300 to $400 for the pair, plus $90 for shipping, bringing the total price for the pair to around $400 to $500. The "sharp" photos are essential, as it is the "almost new" condition of these two bikes that sets them apart from the $20 bikes sold as Goodwill.

If these were MY bikes, I would ride them. I always feel younger, taller, and better looking while riding on a bright red Schwinn bike.

And, if these were MY bikes, I would ask my LBS about rebuilding the wheels using 700c alloy rims and stainless spokes and replacing the seatpost with a light alloy post. Then, add some Continental tires. The result would be 26 pound bikes that ride as nicely as any "new" road bikes currently available for less than $500 today.

Last edited by alanbikehouston; 02-04-05 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-03-05, 05:03 AM
Immoderator

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
If it were ME, I would put new tires on these bikes and ride them.
I concur. Very informative. I'd always heard the entire run of Le Tours was from Panasonic, at least that's what I inferred from Sheldon Brown.
Old 01-28-09, 02:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwinn Super Le Tour II

I bought a brand new black Schwinn Super Le Tour II back in 1980 and I remember it cost me about $400+ back then. It was a Chicago made bike and the advertised weight was under 20lbs. I gave the bike to a neighbor last year ago and now wish I would have kept it. The bike had the Cro-Moly X-tra Lite frame and it was one of the nicer bikes for its time. My brother rode a Fuji and the Schwinn Super Le Tour II was every bit as nice a bike as my brother's Fuji.
Old 01-28-09, 07:53 AM
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
I think we needs pics of these bikes.
Old 01-28-09, 09:40 AM
Full Clout Y'all

Bikes: Right now, 8-10 various steeds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, some models of Le Tour like the Super 12.2 were 4130 Cromo.
Old 01-28-09, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
I doubt it was under 20 pounds because Schwinn made a big deal with the LeTour 12.2 and its weight. The 12.2 means 12.2 kilograms or a bit over 25 pounds. Roger
Old 01-28-09, 07:54 PM
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
The 1979 Super Le Tour II frame was 18 gauge 1020 carbon steel, was advertised as weighing 28 pounds, and cost $249.95.

The 1980 Super LeTour frame was straight gauge (18 ga.) 1020 carbon steel, and was advertised as weighing 28 pounds. $296.95.

The 1981 Super Le Tour frame was also 1020 carbon steel, and was advertised as weighing 27 pounds. $319.95.

The only 20 pound Schwinn adult bike back then was the P14-0 Track Paramount which had a Reynolds 531 frame.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.

Last edited by Scooper; 01-28-09 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-28-09, 08:12 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am very appreciative of the detailed story of the LeTour! Especially since I bought a yellow one from the thrift store last week. All I know about it so far is it says "Made In Japan" on it.
Old 01-28-09, 10:24 PM
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3111 Post(s)
Liked 6,703 Times in 3,841 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidW56
I am very appreciative of the detailed story of the LeTour! Especially since I bought a yellow one from the thrift store last week. All I know about it so far is it says "Made In Japan" on it.
It's not yellow. It's Kool Lemon.

Old 02-02-09, 05:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwinn Super Le Tour II

Excuse me if this photo doesn't up load. I am new at this. I am trying to attach an old photo of my Super Le tour II. My black bike was equipped with alloy rims and crank set. The yellow one in the photo seems to have steel rims and crank. As I said, the price on my bike was over $400.00 back in 1980 so I don’t know if it is the same bike that you are talking about. This was almost 30 years ago and I no longer have the bike to confirm the weight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SchwinnSuperLeTour_II.jpg (71.8 KB, 1808 views)
Old 02-02-09, 06:56 AM
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3111 Post(s)
Liked 6,703 Times in 3,841 Posts
That yellow bike is a 1974.

This bike is a 1980, which looks to me just like your bike.

Here is the spec sheet for that 1980. As you can read, it has alloy bars, stem, cranks, wheels, and hubs.

Old 02-02-09, 09:08 AM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 637 Posts
On the plus side:
1. Three piece alloy crank
2. Alloy bars and stem.
3. Great condition.

On the big negative side:
1. High ten steel frame.
2. Steel rims
3. Stem mounted shifters.

That would cap those bikes at about $100 each around here. Once you move to a cromoly frame and alloy rims, the pricing improves quite a bit.

Make sure the seat post is not frozen.

Good luck!
Old 03-31-09, 07:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love this post and have to thank everyone for it. I grew up on a 1980 silver Schwinn Le Tour. I took that bike on RAGBRAI in 1981 and 1982, and I rode it for years all over the place until my parents gave it away after I left (grrrr). I just got back in to riding last August: bought a beautiful Cannondale Synapse Feminine 5 with 105 components and an all-carbon frame, and I still long for that fabulous, smooth-riding Schwinn.

Ah, I want....

Last edited by aureliajulia; 03-31-09 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-31-09, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 356 Posts
I just sold a Schwinn LeTour a couple weeks ago on Chicago Craigslist for $125. They are very nice bikes. I would think one in really nice original condition would fetch between $125 and $150. Wait a couple weeks till Spring kicks in and I think you will have no problem selling them.
Old 05-26-09, 09:17 PM

Bikes: Mongoose XR-75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a Schwinn Le Tour III for sale in the Fresno Craigslist for $75.

https://fresno.craigslist.org/bik/1186777637.html
Old 05-26-09, 11:59 PM
Big Doofus

Bikes: Trek 830 MTB, Fuji S10-S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
I always feel younger, taller, and better looking while riding on a bright red Schwinn bike.
+1. Well put!
Old 09-25-09, 09:43 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour II, Specialized Tricross, Trek 7300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my 1976 Schwinn Le Tour II. I bought it for $65, replaced the tires, overhauled the hubs, and rode in original condition for several months.

Later, I changed the wheelset to 700C/25mm and converted it to single speed/fixie and dressed it up with Brooks saddle, Tektro 556 brakes, new brake levers, Velo Orange fenders and a nifty Soma rear facing bullet light. My LBS did quite a lot of the actual conversion, but they let me help out with the wrenching.

I have a cross bike that I use on some road and gravel rides, and a hybrid for hauling stuff, but the Le Tour is my daily commuter and "show off" bike. These old steel road bikes are a lot of fun to play with, and swapping components and tuning it up has taught me a lot about basic bike mechanics.

I was thinking of powder coating it to make it look new, but I think now I'll leave the frame as-is, scratches, scuffs and all, to preserve the "old bike" look.

Here's a link to my blog describing the recent configuration:
https://redd-shift.blogspot.com/2009/...-phase-35.html

And a link to the single speed conversion:
https://redd-shift.blogspot.com/2009/...n-phase-3.html

If you can get your hands on an old Le Tour in good shape, I'm sure you'll have as much fun with it as I do.

Regards,

Scott
https://redd-shift.blogspot.com/

Last edited by scottredd; 09-25-09 at 09:47 PM. Reason: added link to pic
Old 09-25-09, 10:05 PM

Bikes: Schwinn LeTour, World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a new 1975 Kool Lemon LeTour when I was in high school with money I earned helping my dad in his wallpaper business. It was the first really nice bike I ever had and I rode it throughout my college years and loved it. Alas, I sold it a few years later when I was broke and desperate ( and had "moved up" to 4 wheels)

I just started riding again this year with a 1985 Schwinn World Sport I bought from my brother a dozen years ago or so. It is probably a nicer bike, but I sure miss that Le Tour. I thought my wife might enjoy riding with me, so I just bought her a 1981 Le Tour Mixte from CL for $50 a few weeks ago. All both of them needed was new tires and some maintenance like repacking all the bearings etc. I have really enjoyed working on them and reading these forums.

Last edited by Randy T; 09-25-09 at 10:36 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.